Thanksgiving break!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by whizkid, Nov 11, 2018.

1. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Nov 11, 2018

It's almost here! Who else is ready?!!!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Nov 11, 2018

I love November. We just finished our 4 day weekend for teacher's convention, then just 1 full week of school before another 4 day weekend.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2018

Teachers convention here too....full week next week, although one day is early dismissal for kids due to parent teacher conferences. Then Thanksgiving Week! Such a fragmented month!

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 11, 2018

We get three days off for Thanksgiving break. We have a full week next week, then a two-day week the following week. We get a week off in October, so we aren't desperate for Thanksgiving break by the time it rolls around.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 12, 2018

I haven't had a day off since Labor day so I'm ready. I work this week then Monday of next week then I'm off!

7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Nov 12, 2018

What’s the week off in October for? Is that just how the schedule worked out?

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2018

Here in Canada, Thanksgiving is on the second Monday in October; that day is a statutory holiday. It's a long, long haul from then until the Christmas break.

9. futuremathsprof

Nov 12, 2018

I can’t wait for Thanksgiving Break (Nov 17th-25th) and we got today off in honor of Veteran’s Day, so I only have a “4-day” workweek before the Break. And the best part is that Tuesday’s are short days at my school, so I’m very happy as I only have to work 3.5 days and then I get over a week off!

I also can’t wait for Christmas Break. This year, we are off for the roughly the second half of December and return on January 7th (17 days).

I can’t wait as I plan to dine out a lot, visit friends and family members, go to the cinema a lot, get massages, go to Reno and San Francisco a few nights each, etc. Plus, I’ve been meaning to catch up on Netflix and some good books I’ve started on my Kindle.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  10. futuremathsprof

Nov 12, 2018

Yikes.

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 12, 2018

We got a three day break in October, and we are off all next week. We were also off last Tuesday for elections. I'm so ready for this break, even with the little breaks in between. I have my observation today, but it's just been a busy semester, and isn't winding down yet!

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 12, 2018

I always feel like once we make it to November, everything is ok. August - September - October is such a long stretch, with only 2 long weekends. It's easy to burn out, teachers and kids and October is usually getting-sick-season. In November we have long weekend for Veteran's Day, 9 days off for Thanksgiving (technically 1 week, but it's a total of 9 days) and then winter break. Which, this year is 3.5 weeks.

But the spring will be bad. Easter is in late April and I think that's when we'll have our spring break. I have to check but t's always around Easter. That will be a long stretch from January - February- March - April. :(

13. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Nov 12, 2018

We have a full week this week with Parent Teacher Conferences after school until 7pm on Thursday, then next week we only go Mon-Wed and have Parent Teacher Conferences after school until 7pm again on Tuesday. I can't wait for Thanksgiving, but more so for our ultrasound on that Friday to find out if baby is a boy or a girl!!

14. zmp2018

zmp2018 Rookie

Nov 12, 2018

I have a five-day week this week, three next week, and then four the week after that. The five-day weekend with Thanksgiving is going to be marvelous.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 12, 2018

It’s just a fall break. It falls after our first grading period. We get one week after first nine weeks, two weeks after second nine weeks, and a week after third nine weeks. However, snow days usually mean we have no spring break.

16. futuremathsprof

Nov 12, 2018

Understood. I’m glad I live in a mostly stable climate and don’t have to worry about losing my Spring Break. I like it as it breaks up the second semester nicely because I get fewer breaks in the second half of the academic year than in the first.

17. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Nov 13, 2018

2 1/2 days. Come on Friday!

18. futuremathsprof

Nov 15, 2018

Haha, yes!

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 15, 2018

Just today and tomorrow left! However, I am almost 100% sure that I will end up covering a class tomorrow on my planning. Almost all of our coaches will be out at games, there are two other field trips, and I know of at least one teacher traveling. There is no way we will be able to find enough subs! Good thing I made nice, easy plans for tomorrow!

Also, I spent some time this week preparing all of my semester exams. So, all of my plans and copies are made through until Christmas break!

20. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Nov 15, 2018

The rest of today and tomorrow with the kids. BUT we have two days of PD next week. I absolutely hate it! I have so much to do for Thursday and have NO time. UGHHHHH

21. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Nov 15, 2018

I'm kind of jealous of all of you that are done with kids tomorrow!!! We have regular schedule through next Wednesday!

22. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 15, 2018

Agreed!
    No break since Labor Day.
    5 day weekend for Thanksgiving.
    Winter break Dec 22-Jan1
    Spring break last week of March.
    Long three months!

23. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Nov 15, 2018

But it's the second semester!

24. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 16, 2018

We are off next week and I am so happy.

We have been on indoor recess schedule this entire week due to bad air quality here in CA. Yes, the students have been cooped up all day, everyday. Due to the fires in our state, we have been at Level 5 (Purple Flag). It's really difficult to breathe and many people are wearing masks. We are having students wear masks to and from using the restroom (since that's the only time they're outdoors).

futuremathsprof likes this.
  25. futuremathsprof

Nov 16, 2018

Same, except my admin canceled school like the local public school district did due to the extremely poor air quality. My Thanksgiving Break was extended and I only had a 2.5-day workweek. My break is now 10 days long and I am just relaxing and about to go out to eat, haha!

26. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 16, 2018

Do they have you guys make up the days? We've never canceled school before due to inclement weather because (as you know) it doesn't snow or get really cold here. All these days of horrible air have really thrown us for a loop!

Some parents were up in arms that school was still in session, but we gently reminded them that we (the school site) take direction from the district office and that they're welcome to voice their concerns downtown. Ugh.

27. futuremathsprof

Nov 16, 2018

I’ve never had to make up a school day even in the rare instances where school was cancelled. Last year, we cancelled school for two days due to the hazy conditions caused by the California fires and did NOT make them up. School preceded as per normal unless I’m mistaken. And the reason why I don’t think any days were added because there were no updates to the school calendar — all of our planned breaks were still the same length of days — and school ended on the same day as originally planned.

And to be frank, the fact that your district makes you work in unhealthy conditions speaks volumes about it. My CEO sent a message out to all faculty and staff members saying that health comes first and that we were not to come to work on Friday (today). He also said that all salaried employees would still receive pay for the day off because they are so valued. That’s the way it should be. I’d wager that your district is forcing school to stay in session because they would lose revenue for the day missed, which is outrageous if true.

28. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 16, 2018

About 30 minutes ago, I learned that all districts in my entire county (aside from private schools) had school today. It was in session for everyone.

29. futuremathsprof

Nov 16, 2018

The public schools in my area all cancelled school and the private schools either did so or chose not to.

30. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Nov 16, 2018

Funny---on the east coast here we had off for essentially the opposite reason. It took me 7 hours to get home from work last night....I live 25 minutes away. 7 hours! Most unbelievable experience of my life. And now today it all melted away anyway.

31. futuremathsprof

Nov 16, 2018

7 hours?! Please explain. I’m absolutely stunned.

32. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Nov 16, 2018

Literal parking lot on the roads with the first snow storm of the season. Never experienced anything close to it in my 29 years of life. The state was very poorly prepared, we got more snow than expected, and the roads weren't properly salted, plowed etc. It's like they forgot winter was coming.

There were close to 600 accidents in the state yesterday. There was a squad of cops that had to help push cars up the hill because people kept spinning out. People driving in the wrong lane to get passed broken down cars. People running out of gas and not able to move. Absolute insanity. I thought it was like the apocalypse. Our new governor really dropped the ball. As much I hated the old governor, it was NEVER this bad under his leadership.

Our superintendent issued an apology for not closing schools early yesterday, but they ended up closing them today.

Here's an example even worse than mine:

https://www.nj.com/expo/news/erry-2018/11/ae4ed03a9f1491/dear-nj-i-just-moved-here-and.html

33. futuremathsprof

Nov 16, 2018

Oh. My. God. How horrid!

34. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Nov 16, 2018

I did have one student email me last night and ask me if i got home safe, which I thought was really a sweet way to end a miserable drive. I also texted the AP Stat teacher this morning and toldl her she should use this as an example for Type I/Type II error. [i.e. close school early and the storm is a dud vs. leave school open and get what we got].

futuremathsprof likes this.
  35. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Nov 17, 2018

One word: WOO-HOO!!!!

whizkid likes this.
  36. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Nov 21, 2019

It's almost here. One more day.

37. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 21, 2019

I have school today, Friday and Monday. Then I'm off!! I have so many things planned. The best part is that I don't even have to cook anything for Thanksgiving dinner!

38. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Nov 21, 2019

Was talking to the mother of a friend of mine today and she told a parent that teachers need a break too....... to which the parent kindly replied, "why do they need a whole week off"?

#daycarecenter

39. futuremathsprof

Nov 21, 2019

Yep. Sometimes I want to tell these parents, “If it’s so difficult to take care of your kids, then why did you have them? Wouldn’t it have made more sense to just carry on with your life childless and then you wouldn’t have to worry about finding someone to babysit them? I know, that logic stuff’s a real pain in the butt, isn’t it?”

40. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 22, 2019

That is one way you can look at it if you go with the mindset that parents suck. However, this is a daycare that was mentioned which means that most likely the parent is a working parent also who probably doesn't get near as many breaks from their job than teachers get. Daycare centers, not pre-schools, typically are there to serve working parents and their normal m-f 8-4:30 working hours (or whatever schedule is the most common in the area). Pre-school is a whole different conversation.

One could say, "If it is so difficult to do your job, then why did you take it?"

Now, if these pre-planned shutdowns are the only breaks the daycare workers get all year long I can see "needing a break" being a valid argument. My relative worked at a production plant. For years, until he built up more vacation his only "break" was when the plant shut down for its annual maintenance. His vacation week was dictated.

Anyway, most people don't know how much work something is before they really get into it (even teaching). Then, as a parent, no two experiences are the same because children, families, and circumstances are very different. It isn't as if you can return children once you have them.

I've often asked why my district has so many breaks. Having lived in other states I know that what my current school district does is not the way it HAS to be.

greendream likes this.
  41. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 22, 2019

My reply would be, "Why did you have kids if you don't want to take care of them"???

whizkid and futuremathsprof like this.