Thanksgiving activity ideas?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by CDOR79, Nov 14, 2007.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Nov 14, 2007

I teach 4th grade English and Religion. Does anyone have any ideas on cute lesson plans or activities for next week?

Thanks! :)

3. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Nov 14, 2007

I just was looking for some today,

in your search put in:
    Thanksgiving, worksheets

don't forget to check under "lessons" on this site too.

4. TeachyBon

TeachyBon Rookie

Nov 14, 2007

We are currently working on the Turkey Disguise project on this page:

http://www.mrspohlmeyerskinderpage.com/thanksgiving.htm

I looked around online and saw that some teachers do this as a send home. I'm using it as a center in class to work on til Friday. My students also have to write a paragraph from the turkey's perspective about why they chose their disguise and why they think it will work.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 14, 2007

I do what students are thankful for. :) It's nothing big, not major at all... yet we do it on leaves and it works.

Besides that, I've always wanted to BAKE... but that's more math. It would be NICE to make a real apple pie. Ehh, we still have next month. ;)

The students also wrote a play this year (hahaha) called "The Pilgrims of Plymouth". That worked, too. :) They wrote them from these Scholastic comics, yet they were pretty decent and some were worded really well. They didn't get to perform them, but most were only a page long.

6. soflgal

soflgal Companion

Nov 14, 2007

I printed up custom Thanksgiving bingo sheets at DLTK. Might want to look that up.

7. Chrissy71

Chrissy71 Rookie

Nov 14, 2007

EdHelper has some on their website. You have to join though to use them I believe. I joined for a year, it wasn't that much money and I have used several things so far.

8. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Nov 14, 2007

I'm doing the turkey disguise as well - the kids are loving it!! I'm doing it as a class writing assignment, and boy I've got a few clever kids! Go to the elementary forum for details.

9. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Nov 15, 2007

I recently had my students pretend that they were turkeys writing a letter to Farmer Brown. They had to convince the farmer not to gobble them up for Thanksgiving. It was great! One lesson incorporating letter writing, voice and persuasion! It may sound a little morbid, but the kids had so much fun with it. One threatened to come back as a ghost and haunt the farm. Several pointed out that they were too skinny and the farmer would get a much bigger meal from the cattle in the next field. Some suggested he become a vegetarian - what with all those crops. Oh, and of course, there were those who pointed out that a turkey who could write letters would be more valuable alive than stuffed and drizzled with gravy. :)