Thanksgiving 2016 Plans?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 10, 2016

Wait, TG can't be in just 2 wks, can it? Yes, already. What are you doing (& preparing to eat) this year?

I haven't thought about it yet, but my fiance' & I will probably spend some time with my Mom. I haven't had my mom's stuffing in a few years, so maybe we could have that. I personally don't have to have any other food for TG. Mom's stuffing is THE BEST! Maybe go to the movies that night.

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2016

Probably at my mom's this year, with my grandparents, possibly a sibling or two, and possibly a couple family friends. My wife and I are trying to switch back-and-forth now between our families with holidays, but of course, my side of the family has had far too many rough patches and thus it's split into multiple celebrations (some other parts of my family will be at another extended family member's...where we used to all go). I'm just thinking one week at a time, though! Probably will need to help with some tidying up so there's room for anyone/everyone, and then of course we'll bake deviled eggs and probably a pie.

Then, it's a full night of sleep, while my wife will be up at the break of dawn to work :) (but then back home that Friday night to watch Gilmore Girls!)

Ms. I likes this.
  4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 10, 2016

We are going to my dad's for the first time in 12 years! He lives across the country, so we usually visit at times that are cheaper. It will be the first time my youngest visits his house, her first plane ride, and her birthday all in one! We will come home on Black Friday, then celebrate with my in-laws the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Ms. I and mathmagic like this.
  5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2016

I host DH's family. Probably 9 for dinner. On Friday we are having a cocktail party/lite dinner to celebrate son and fiancée's engagement...her family and ours.

Ms. I likes this.
  6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2016

Does mom know know about your engagement yet? Something to celebrate and be thankful for!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  7. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Nov 10, 2016

Headed to my parents for the day to spend time with my nieces and nephew. Will probably do a little shopping over the weekend. I'll be making the pies for Thanksgiving. Now just to decide what kinds of pies to make! :)

Ms. I likes this.
  8. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Nov 10, 2016

We usually go to my aunt & uncle's for Thanksgiving. There's all the traditional stuff: turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, stuffing, SO MUCH GRAVY.

For dessert there's always pumpkin pie and some other kind of dessert as well. I'm thinking about making apple-bourbon blondies and taking them if I have enough time free from work before Thanksgiving to do so.
    (They're actually pretty simple: white cake mix, apple butter, evaporated milk, and melted butter. I swap in bourbon whenever the cake mix calls for water.)

Ms. I likes this.
  9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 11, 2016

We go to a restaurant with my in-laws every year. I know people always say that's not "traditional" but you haven't seen this place! The restaurant is located in an old historic inn (1700s old!!) and has stone fireplaces in the some of the dining rooms. It really seems like someone's home rather than a restaurant and besides that I don't have to cook or do dishes :)

Ms. I and MissCeliaB like this.
  10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2016

The last few years we have gone to restaurants for TG. Last year we found a lovely little family restaurant on the beach and the food was terrific! This year we are going to to a restaurant buffet in a hotel at Disney World. We try to pick a restaurant we have never been to each year.

Ms. I and Backroads like this.
  11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 11, 2016

That sounds fabulous! Have a great time!

12. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2016

In addition to dinner with our daughter and son-in-law and his family, we're going to check out a retirement community!

Ms. I likes this.
  13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 11, 2016

Canadian Thanksgiving is long over already, and I had a fantastic weekend with my family. However, American Thanksgiving is always my kick off to Christmas. I will be heading Stateside for some Black Friday deals that weekend and then the following week I will start decorating and prepping for Christmas. There is something about American Thanksgiving that sets the tone for a cozy month of celebrating with friends and family and I love that the season lasts until Christmas.

14. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 11, 2016

My sister-in-law and her husband are hosting this year, so we'll be heading down south. I also plan to mass declutter my home and watch the Gilmore Girls revival.

Ms. I likes this.
  15. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 11, 2016

What a lovely tradition!

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 11, 2016

We'll do Thanksgiving at my husband's Granny's house. Both of my sisters will be in town, and we have plans to go Black Friday shopping. I also plan to watch the Gilmore Girls, as well as cleaning and decorating my house. And grading papers. Most of my students have a major project due the day before break, and another group has a test the day before that, so I'll have plenty of grading to do.

17. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Nov 12, 2016

We are staying home for the first time in a long while. Family will come to visit us, and I am really looking forward to it, but that just remind me that I need to get off the computer and start cleaning. We've had lots of illness and death in our family over the past year, so it will just be nice to relax. Of course we will go out shopping on Friday!

Ms. I likes this.
  18. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Companion

Nov 12, 2016

Boyfriend and I moved across the country in January, so some family is coming to us. My mom is coming and boyfriend's sister and her boyfriend are coming. We have reservations at P.F. Chang's haha

Ms. I likes this.
  19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 12, 2016

My family is in different parts of the country from me. Rockhubby's mother and stepfather will be Colorado, while his father will be taking care of stepmother after her surgery. We'll be sharing the holiday with friends and supplying the turkey for the feast (so glad I bought the Big Green Egg for Rockhubby). However, before the feast, I'll be participating in my first five mile running race since late April. I'll earn that pumpkin pie at the finish line!

Ms. I likes this.
  20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 12, 2016

Sounds great guys!

czacza, not yet & it would be kinda nice to have him ask for her blessing either around TG or Christmas or maybe my b-day in Jan. My dad passed away last Nov, so I'll have to see on which occasion is the best time...could be later.

TeacherNY & allaphoristic, ha, restaurants are just as good to eat TG dinner!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  21. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 12, 2016

I always do the traditional thanksgiving meal with my mom. Her boyfriend comes over, and this year I'll have DH with me. We didn't even know each other last year at thanksgiving. Not sure if DSS will be coming over or not. He may be working or may go to his boyfriends house.

Ms. I likes this.
  22. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Nov 14, 2016

We will hopefully be going to have "Thanksgiving" with my family this weekend (we live 6.5 hours from my family and I need to be in their area for a Union committee meeting on Saturday so my husband is coming with to spend time with my family). This is pending the potential storm that is headed this way expected to bring 3-12 inches of snow. We have never had Thanksgiving with my family since we have been together as Christmas is my family's holiday and Thanksgiving is his family's. We also do Christmas with his family after the holiday, so this year we are also adding a Thanksgiving with my family before the holiday.
    We will go to his parent's house for dinner sometime Thursday or Friday (they haven't told us yet).