Thanks in Advance for your Assistance!

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by newoldteacher, Jul 24, 2007.

1. newoldteacher

newoldteacher Companion

Jul 24, 2007

For the past 5 years, I've taught the struggling readers in fourth grade. Most of my students were reading on a 2-3 gr. level when school began. My goal was to get them as close to grade level (4) as possible by the end of the year.

NOW, I'm switching to the highest readers. I'm totally lost. My curriculum will not work with these bright readers. Any suggestions, help, etc. will be greatly appreciated. NOTE: I have a 30 min. large group, with 3 20 min. small group sessions. ;)

3. aya

aya Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Do you have computer access at all? I have some great ideas on my blog ilearntechnology.com (see book adventure). Start a book group with your high readers online. You can also use sites like read write think (also linked on my blog) where there are also some great lesson and curriculum ideas for literacy. Good luck!

4. newoldteacher

newoldteacher Companion

Jul 24, 2007

Thanks! I'll check them out! :)

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2007

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2007

http://teachingvision.org/readingwriting . :) This may start you out... I listed some skills on there and plan on adding student work this year. Finally!! :)

My reading calendar lists all the mini-lessons I'm doing with them this year, too.

Oh, and try something with Newbery books. I go through genres with them like historical fiction, and they love it. They also love the computer (as was already recommended for you). They visit websites in my reading journey and especially like this one game named Word Jungle.

Good luck! I hope you have a TREMENDOUS year with this group. This has been my group every year I have taught. :) It's really, really fun because you can incorporate science, social studies, role play, and even a little debate.

7. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Jul 25, 2007

I just accepted a job for a 4th grade Reading Teacher and have found your website to be very interesting to look at. This is my first year teaching and I have no clue what to do with 4th grade Reading. My only experience is with 1st grade which is much different.

Do you have any extra tips that are geared directly towards Reading? I copied your "center schedule"..what exactly do you do with these centers? Thanks in advance :D

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2007

What specifically are you seeking (Miss Bradley? Newoldteacher?)?

9. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Jul 25, 2007

I was particularly wondering about your center time. What exactly is "Reading Scouts" and what does that consist of? I'm just a new teacher and would love to implement centers into my class often because I love hands-on learning. Just wanted to get ideas :)