Thanks, but No Thanks???

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsC, Jun 16, 2009.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2009

I had a note to go in to talk with our principal today. She politely thanked me for my interest in a divisional lead position, but said that they were going in a different direction for next year. The kicker--I didn't apply for a lead position. It's one thing to be rejected for a position you apply for, but to be rejected for one you haven't expressed an interest in is really a kick in the you-know-what! I can hear the behind-the-scenes conversation now:

"What will we say if MrsC applies? "
    "I don't know; we don't really want her in that role."
    "I know, let's call her in, thank her for her interest and tell her that we are going in a new direction for next year and that she already has a lot on her plate."
    "Good idea. If we reject her before she even applies she won't even consider it. I'll call her down now."

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2009

This made me giggle. I needed that.

Maybe they assumed you had applied because you would be qualified for and great at the lead position?

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 16, 2009

Wow - that is really strange :( The mean side of me would have wanted really bad to say "oh yeah, how would you know which direction I am going since I didn't even apply for the stinking position." I would never have the moxie to actually SAY it but boy I would be thinking.

Seriously though, could you ask around to see what's up? It does sound really strange.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2009

That's strange, MrsC. I'm sorry that they did this to you.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2009

I'm trying to giggle about it too. :dizzy:

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2009

That's strange. I'm sorry that that happened to you, MrsC.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 16, 2009

I think it is funny too. I think they got their wires crossed somewhere and some miscommunication happened somewhere along the line whether it was in their head or they mixed up the names. Who knows.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2009

Did you say something about not even applying? :eek:

10. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jun 16, 2009

I find that many times these positions do not go to the most qualified but to those who the principal feels they can manipulate easiest into their way of thinking.You probably should feel good that they don't want you in the position.

11. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2009

There is probably someone at your school who is still waiting for a yes or no.

12. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jun 17, 2009

hmmm... That's weird. The Principal didn't even know the position that you applied for. She needs to pay more attention. :whistle:

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2009

I know I should have, but didn't. The atmosphere at school right now is TENSE--lots of unhappy staff and a fair bit of verbal knuckle-rapping. I am in "stealth-mode", trying to fly under the radar, finish up my year and not get caught up in the complaints of others. I have found, this past year, if in doubt about whether to say something or not, not has been the better choice.

14. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 17, 2009

Your flying in "stealth-mode" is the best place to be and you were probably wise not to say anything, especially if the atmosphere is tense. Your principal is just human too and has made a stupid mistake.

15. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 17, 2009

How funny Mrs. C- I had a similar experience at the end of this year as well!
    Our district has developed math coaches which is similar to our already existing literacy coaches. When the positions were posted, 4 teachers ran to me to tell me about them and that I should go for it. Now mind you, I don't like Math at all, and I am only as good at teaching it as I am because i have taken the time to really learn the content of what I teach. I have NO idea what the other grade levels teach. I did apply for the literacy coach years ago, but did not take the position. I was beginning to feel a bit paranoid-like my colleagues no longer want me there-when at the end of the year luncheon, my P. eluded to a visiting former staff member that with the math coach positions, an opening in our staff may come up and to keep her fingers crossed-in which she gave me-in front of the entire staff-a sideways glance. I was mortified! The next day, I had a few friends over to celebrate the summer, and one of the girls said"so, I hear you applied for the math coach"-to which I laughed out loud! She said that the entire building is talking about it!!!! Why havent' I heard these rumors-and why is NOONE asking me personally? I am going to develop my own stealth mode next year-this is totally wild!!!
    So, what do you think? Should I email my P. now and tell her that I want to put the rumors to rest-that I did not apply for the position?