Thankful for being renewed, but...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by applecore, Jun 29, 2011.

1. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jun 29, 2011

Positive...
    I'm renewed for next year. Yea! I have a job!

Negative...
    We had to deduct 2 years of service on the salary schedule and I lost 2.7% of my pay due to budget cuts.

Over all....I have a job and the sacrafice of the pay and years is what I have to do to keep the job that I love.

It's a good thing I didn't go to school to be a teacher for the pay, with weekends, holidays, and summers off. :lol:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2011

Congrats on renewal....sorry about the salary issue though! These are tough times.:huh:

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 29, 2011

congrats on the renewall . . but WOW, taking salary away :( Honestly, I have never heard of salary/steps being taken away. I haven't had a raise in three years due to budget issues but I couldn't imagine LOSING money.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2011

Glad you got renewed. I also have never heard of moving backwards on the salary/step schedule. I've seen these numbers go down, but never actually seen years taken away. I have seen intermittent years added in during this time (A1, A2, B, B1, B2,...) so that there were no step raises either.

6. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 29, 2011

Congratulations on the renewal. It is such a nail-biting time. I'm entering my sixth year of teaching in this school, no raise for 4 years now. However, we are not losing our steps as far as the retirement system, so I'm lucky.

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 29, 2011

Congrats! That's great news-- it stinks about the pay cut, but hopefully it won't be too much of your income.

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2011

Most of the teachers in my district have been taking paycuts every year for the last few years.

I am at the bottom of the payscale still, so thankfully I haven't had to have a cut yet.

9. MJH

MJH Companion

Jun 29, 2011

Can not reduce pay

In my state there is a law stating that a teacher's salary can not be reduced unless there is a demotion. If we get in a huge budget crunch I'm sure that law will be cut but at least for now no pay cut.

We did get a 1.6% raise from the state but our insurance is going up 18% so really it their way of doing a pay cut.

10. montanadreaming

montanadreaming Rookie

Jun 29, 2011

I also was renewed and with it came a 1.5% deduction in pay through furlough days.

As well as the school is revamping and there are major curriculum changes.

But I have a job and in this day and age I am greatful for that.

11. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 29, 2011

I will be losing 3%, no step, plus two furlough days and the public whines that we still haven't given enough. I am grateful to be renewed though especially since it was my tenure year.

12. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jun 29, 2011

Wow, it's amazing how many teachers and admins are going through the same stuff. Thank you for sharing!

I think of the 2 years deducted on the pay scale like Walmart's "Roll Back Prices":

Our school district is rolling back the salary scale to 2 years ago with 7 furlough days. (We get to have a few longer winter breaks and get out of school at the end of the year earlier.)

Thankfully the reduction in pay isn't a great amount for my family this year. I got a job 2 years ago that made our household income double, but then came a mortgage and student loan payments due too....LOL

13. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2011

Wow, a second job to double your income! That's very nice!

14. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jun 29, 2011

We lived very meekly for 4 years while I was in school on my husband's salary. With me being in school fulltime and him earning less than $30,000 a year, life gave us options of being thankful for being "poor"; especially with having 2 kids to raise...LOL

15. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 29, 2011

I'm waiting to hear what our pay and whether I have a job or where it will be. I think its about time they make a decision. The offices are closed for a couple more weeks so I won't know until its almost time to return to school. I'm hoping it will be the lesser of evils. I already know they are going to cut my math teacher stipend by about $3000.

16. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jun 29, 2011

I live in the same state. I didn't know about the law. I did, unfortunately, know about the insurance. It's crazy. :help:

17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 30, 2011

We're taking 5 "furlough" days which will result in about a 2% pay cut. I guess at least we get the days off so we're not just doing the same exact thing for less money. We'll have a full week for thanksgiving break and school will end 2 days early.

18. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2011

Instead of pay cuts, my school is again increasing the number of teacher-student days.

19. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jun 30, 2011

Paperheart, that's an amazing amount for a stipened....but then again, I can imagine it's for great things that you need to do your job like our TAG teacher. She's praying she'll return next year, let alone have some funds for purchasing materials for her math curriculum. Best wishes!

Mopar....my brain's telling me that you're getting the same money, but with more contact days...which equals a lesser amount of money per day/hour. *sigh* that's tough to think about guessing how many hours you probably already put in already.

Best wishes everyone! May we learn the secret to couponing and remember why we chose teaching as our profession: the kids!