Thankful for being here

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by unomesowell, Nov 27, 2010.

1. unomesowell

unomesowell New Member

Nov 27, 2010

I have been student teaching in a very tough school. I have lost several students to expulsion, the high drop out rate, long term suspensions and pregnancy. My kids tag my desk with gang signs and steal everything that isn't nailed down. AND YET teaching them has been a powerful learning experience and I want to say thank you somehow. My professors suggest a contribution to the class library (there isn't one) or a book mark with a quote on it (they adamantly deny knowing how to read). My CT says I can't go wrong with food since half of them only show up every day because they are guaranteed two meals. I will probably bring in a snack for the last day but I wanted to give them something a little more lasting...

Issues: Color is an issue since there are so many gangs in the school. It can't be something that can be made harmful or it would get confiscated anyway. If it is overly sentimental they will leave it on the floor or toss it out the window. (May a homework assignment has gone the same way.) Lastly, there are 120 of them and only one of me so if I can make it then great but otherwise it has to be cheap as well! I actually considered a pen (maybe with my name on it) for each child since that is a valuable commodity in the class but I fear sending them out to tag the walls of the school with my name in their hands...

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Nov 27, 2010

One of my friends teaches in a similar environment, and every year, at the end of the school year, she buys a box or so of those generic blank cards, and she writes a "thank you" letter to each one of them. She takes the time to express what she likes about each one individually, and she comments on any particular memory she has of that student (a conversation, an assignment, etc.). The kids *treasure* those cards, and several have come to her years later and still talk about it. One boy she taught came back to her a few years after he left and brought the card with him. He keeps it folded in his wallet...

4. LastPlaceJason

LastPlaceJason Rookie

Nov 27, 2010

bandnerdtx- excellent suggestion!