thank you's from former students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ctsky32, Dec 19, 2007.

1. ctsky32

ctsky32 New Member

Dec 19, 2007

Have any of you out there ever received a letter from a former student thanking you for the impact you've had on them? How often has this happened to you? What was your reaction, and did you respond to the letter?

I'm just curious if this happens to other teachers and how often:)

Thanks.

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 19, 2007

I have once or twice, but my husband does a lot. I think if you teacher older kids, it happens more. He gets cards, Christmas gifts, wedding invitations, baby invitations, and even calls to come to funerals.

He currently has five former students teaching his subject area. Two called just tonight to get guidance.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2007

A few.

But my most heart wrenching one was from a parent. Her son died in a freak accident a year after his graduation. After I attended the wake, I received a thank you note from his mom. She raved about how mine was his favorite class and how much he thought of me as a teacher. I still have it upstairs.

5. campinggirl

campinggirl Rookie

Dec 20, 2007

I have not received a note from a past student but I have sent one. In grade 10 our history class had to interview a person who had lived through an historical event. My grandfather had been in WW2 so I interviewed him. Through this interview I learned that he had been a prisoner of war which noone knew. He died the day that I handed in my paper. I use that interview to teach my class on Remembrance Day every year. A few years ago I wrote a letter to the teacher that asked us to do that assignment thanking him for the opportunity to create a keepsake for myself and my family.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 20, 2007

I had a visit today, actually, from a student I had my first year teaching (4th grade). He is now in the Army and I have his younger brother (surprise baby) in my class. N has been in Iraq for 6 months and came by to see our class (we made cards to send him and sent goodies). He gave me a huge bear hug and visited for a few minutes. He wasn't an easy student and it was incredibly touching to have that time with him.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2007

I actually sent my 3rd grade teacher a Christmas card!!! I call her every year on her bday too!!! Let's just say it's been a long time since I was in 3rd grade!!!

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2007

Sometimes they do come to visit. I don't think I have gotten a note after they graduated. I have gotten notes while they were students. I got a nice one with a Christmas gift today.

I sent one too, though. I had a social studies teacher that I hated in high school, and I ended up with her 3 out of 4 years of high school. She was sooo hard - lots and lots of essay tests, and she graded pretty hard, too. But when I got to college, I realized that what she had taught me really prepared me for college. It was hard to admit someone I really disliked in high school was so influential, but I sent her a note basically saying that although I know we never saw eye to eye, I was surprised at how much her class prepared me more than any other.

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 20, 2007

I just sent my elementary school music teacher an e-mail the other day... the first contact I've had with her since grade five...

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 21, 2007

I have run into teachers I had since becoming a teacher. I teach in an independent school and went to independent schools so a lot of those teachers are in the same association. Anyway, I had a great run in with my former 5th grade teacher recently. I went to a speech by Herbert Kohl (author of lots of books about teaching) and it turned out my FAVORITE HS social studies teacher was the one who organized the forum that Kohl was part of. Unfortunately, I was very disapointed in that he didn't remember me and was rude! I hope that doesn't happen to my students later in life. I haven't taught long enough here to see my kiddos even graduate 6th grade from the school I am at now!

11. ie_master

ie_master Rookie

Dec 25, 2007

better than thank you notes and letters, i was personally invited by my previous students for a thanksgiving party, then each one made speeches thanking all the teachers that mold them as they are right now...