Thank you parents...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by myKroom, Feb 15, 2014.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Feb 15, 2014

For sending your child to school after they were up all night puking! I know Valentines Day is the most important holiday EVER and your child could not possibly wait until Monday to get their beloved Valentines. Thanks to you, I am spending my 3 day weekend in bed, puking! I couldn't think of a better way to spend the long weekend!

PS...if you didn't catch on, this is drenched in sarcasm!!!!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2014

If I learn that any fof my students puked or had a fever in the last 24 hours I send them to the nurse to go home. School policy.

4. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Feb 15, 2014

We have the same policy...it's just not enforced! Along with a lot of other things! :(

5. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Feb 15, 2014

It's more likely that you were already sick from the illness being spread before symptoms were manifesting in sick students/coworkers to that degree.

However, if it makes you feel better to focus that angst on one set of parents and their child, have at it!

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 15, 2014

Not necessarily Honest, stomach viruses can have a very short incubation period.

To the OP, I hope you feel better soon!

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 15, 2014

Sending a child to school that sick is asinine, even if they weren't the "Typhoid Mary" in this scenario.

I guess some people really do hate teachers no matter what.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 15, 2014

No, not hate teachers, just love themselves so much that society as a whole is less important than their convenience.

9. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Feb 15, 2014

Incubation for stomach flu is between 12-48 hours, so it's completely possible that I got it from these two students. It frustrates me that it happens, not just for me (I typically don't get sick), but for the other students and families that will have to deal with this over their long weekends as well.

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2014

I hope you feel better soon! I hate it when kids come to school sick!

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 16, 2014

I feel for you. I had two students come in Friday afternoon about 15 minutes before our party; the box checked on their "tardy" slip was "Not feeling well". They both said they had been sick in the morning but were much better by afternoon. Amazing recoveries!

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2014

I would continue sending to nurse...looks pale, lethargic...send kiddo with work to nurse's office if they won't send the kiddo home.

Hope you're feeling better, myK!

13. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2014

Agreeing with this. The only problem I can see is an admin getting upset because the child keeps getting sent. However, our state health code sets the rules.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 16, 2014

This happened in my classroom. Mom sends in sick kid 3 days in a row. Nurse was notified and called mom to pick kid up. Sorry, she says, can't pick her up. The next day nurse calls mom again and she doesn't even answer the phone. Sends in sick kid again, and again...you get the picture...sick staff and other sick kids result from this stupid parent. Pathetic.

15. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Feb 16, 2014

I'm so sorry to hear that. I understand parents have to work and it's hard to take off, but as a teacher, I feel awful when there's a miserable, obviously ill child in my class who would be better off tucked into bed, not in a noisy, crowded classroom being expected to function at full capacity.

Last year, I had a boy who threw up three times during reading. I sent him to the nurse each time, but she kept sending him back because he didn't have a fever. I suspect he had food poisoning (the cafeteria has been known to serve expired/spoiled milk, but being so young, I think the kids drink the bad milk not realizing it's "off" like an adult and it makes them ill)

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 16, 2014

Our nurses try to pull that too. Oh, Sally doesn't have a fever so she MUST be perfectly fine. There are many illnesses going around that do not cause a fever. I guess only people who aren't nurses know that? :dizzy:

17. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2014

Wow! Our state health laws say if a child has thrown up for any reason in the last 24 hours the child must stay home for 24 after the last incident of vomiting. Fever is another reason to be sent home, but once a kid pukes, that's it. They don't even allow a child to go back to class to get his things. They send another child to deliver them to the clinic. (Don't see how that is good for the delivery person, but that is what is done.)

Em, that is just awful.

18. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Feb 16, 2014

TeacherNY and a2z:

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm not sure when the law changed because when I was a kid (in the same state I currently teach in), if you threw up for any reason, you were required to go home for 24 hours.

I don't know if this is limited to just my school or if it's like this all over, but our P is REALLY big on student attendance. I'm wondering if that's why the nurse rarely wants to send kids home, because the P is pushing for them to be in the classroom every day, for the full time.

We have an attendance committee that if a child is absent for a day and there is no note, the committee contacts the teacher.

19. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Feb 16, 2014

Including me, we are up to at least 6/19 who have gotten the stomach flu since Friday. One of the two that came sick on Friday came at noon and then didn't even want to participate in ANYTHING! She just sat their looking miserable. Mom insisted that she was just "backed up". Although her sister and brother (a set of triplets) insisted she was up all night sick and could only eat crackers. Now, the other two have it!!!

I've asked my P to have the janitors disinfect the classroom and I'll be posting a message on our classroom Facebook page about staying home 24 hours symptom free.

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 16, 2014

I hate it when those viruses are flying around the room. I really wanted some kind of air ionizer or something to purify the air. I have the one at home that attaches to my air handler so it works the whole time the a/c is on. I think it helps.