Thank you notes for students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mathemagician, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Dec 23, 2012

I am writing thank you notes to the students who gave me gifts on the day before break. It wasn't a ton of students since it is high school and not elementary, but a small handful of kids gave me stuff. Do you write a note for each thing, or only for the bigger things? For instance, one girl gave me (honestly) a Kit Kat bar. I definitely appreciated it :lol:, but it almost seems silly to send a thank you note for that.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 23, 2012

I got a used Christmas pencil from one of my kids.

She got a thank you note.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2012

I write a thank you note for everything. I have 21 students...I wrote notes to all of them...they took the time to think of you (even with a Kit Kat bar). You can take the time to write a note.

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

Dec 23, 2012

Each student gets a thank you note no matter what I receive.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2012

I would write one for each student.

7. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Dec 23, 2012

I usually write a TY note for everything, but this year I got several candy canes without names. So those kids didn't get a TY note.

8. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Dec 23, 2012

Yes, go ahead and write one for everyone. You can get a pack of 'em at the dollar store.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 23, 2012

I write one for all of them, no matter what.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2012

They all get one. I got a hand drawn card, and they got a thank you note.
    (It was delivered to me as my 'Christmas present'. She comes from a very poor family.)

11. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Dec 24, 2012

You know who gave you a candy bar because that's all they could manage to get you and who gave you a candy bar because they had one, so "here." I wrote a few thank yous for homemade cards. They were given to me first thing in the morning, so I could tell they were made at home with a lot of thought. I know these students and could tell they were very proud that they could give me anything. However, I also had a few who, after seeing other students give me gifts, gave me a snack-sized candy from their own gift stash. They got hugs, but not thank you cards :lol:

12. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Dec 24, 2012

I write thank you notes for any presents, which baffles my mom. She had to force me to write them as a child!

13. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Dec 27, 2012

I'm very curious as to whether you gave a thank you card to that student or not. I gave out a lot of thank you cards this year and surprisingly got a lot of thoughtful gifts. I wouldn't give a thank you card to a high schooler who gave such a thoughtless gift. Last time I checked, making your own card is free and much more thoughtful.

When I was student teaching, in a different district, I got a lot of Valentine gifts as did my cooperating teacher. Some of them were just goofy (but very sweet). I felt bad, because I didn't get any of them any thing. I never really heard of getting or giving gifts in school for Valentine's day. Maybe to a special someone, your Valentine, but not to the teacher. One boy was known for being difficult. We usually got a long. He was just horrible to my cooperating teacher, though. So, he saw us getting gifts and he took out a Pokemon card with this smirk on his face and wrote to me and from him. He gave it to me and I thanked him, but I could tell he really thought he was getting brownie points. He was also doing this to be spiteful to the ct. The next day, I brought in thank you cards that I had made out. Before giving them, I made it known why some students got them and why others didn't. That gifts were never exspected, but I was thankful for thoughtful gifts. I could tell he wanted to make a stink, because he was that sort of child not because he was truly offended, but the way I did it and his ill intent was counteractive to him making a scene over that.

Sorry this is so long.

14. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Dec 27, 2012

Yes, I gave a thank you note.

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 27, 2012

I would never judge a present, whatever it is, they chose to give.
    There was one guy who is always such a good kid, and I got to know him pretty well (I also got to know his brother in the other lock up), but for a few days he wasn't his best, he was a little chatty. (he had a reason, he had found out that he had to stay 30 more days in jail) So because he felt bad for his behavior, the following Monday he brought me a granola bar. That was part of his breakfast. That was touching, I mean he actually hid it from the officers, smuggled it into the classroom to give me. And he apologized for his behavior.
    I told him I accepted his apology, but I would rather he'd eat it - that's all he had, I can always buy more food. He ate it.

Then on my last day, on December 21st he brought me another one, he said it was a Happy End of the World gift :) But I knew it was a good bye present / Christmas present or something. The look on his face showed that I should accept it. I ate it and thanked him :)
    I handed out candy canes to all the kids, even the ones that always got in trouble.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2012

:thumb: good for you.

17. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2012

Yup, I write one for every kid who gave me something, whether "just" a card or a Hershey's Kiss or whatever. They took the time to think about me and give me something; I take the time to write the card.

Oh, and I send them in the mail. They get a huge kick out of that :)

18. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2012

I write each a thank you note for any gift. For many kids this will be their first thank you note. How do they know to appreciate writing one if they have never gotten one? They are usually very proud to get it. I also write them one for their efforts in the school Christmas program. It makes them feel very special.

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2012

I just finished writing mine--every student who gave me something got one.

20. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Jan 3, 2013

I write a thank you note for everything.

21. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Jan 3, 2013

How do you ladies and gentlemen close your letters? "Love" is too strong, but "Regards" is a bit too formal sounding.

"Yours truly?"

22. MsG

MsG Companion

Jan 3, 2013

I send TY cards to any child who gives me a gift throughout the year. I sign it with a heart and my name. They love getting cards on their desks.

One of mine made me a little pillow (one of those tie together ones) and I told her my dogs had stolen it from me in her card. I took a picture today of the littlest puppy who was asleep on it and posted it on Edmodo for the kids to see. We return Monday, but I've already had several kids send me messages, and that particular student was so excited to see Lily (the puppy) loving her new pillow. I think they love knowing you enjoy their gifts!

23. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jan 3, 2013

Best wishes,

24. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Jan 3, 2013

:thanks:

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2013

It depends on the child. I do, though, sometimes use "love".

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2013

I closed my letters before break with 'Have a great break!'. I also draw a smiley face or heart before my name.:):love: