Thank you note response

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by collteach, Jul 8, 2010.

1. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 8, 2010

I had my interview today for a 4th grade position. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have this job, as I would be working with many former colleagues in a wonderful, almost brand-new school in a grade level in which I have a lot of successful experience.

So, after the interview, I decided to draft a very simple "thank you" email to the people on the interview panel. One responded pretty soon after I sent the email, but now her response has me wondering. It is very nice and also very short and simple, but something about the wording has me feeling that they did not select me. One thing she said was "I wish you the very best moving forward." My mother, who is here visiting, read the email and said that it sounds like she was very carefully choosing her words so that she did not give away anything about my status at this point. I should say that this principal does not work at the school where I interviewed, and she is also someone who was hoping to hire me for a position at her school (the odd hiring process at this system prevented that though, since I was not eligible to be interviewed for open positions she had).

I feel that it was great that she even took the time to respond, but now I have to wait for possibly a week or more to get news. I am sort of regretting sending the email now :)

3. klc92201

klc92201 Companion

Jul 8, 2010

I understand and feel the same way about the response I was given by a principle last week. She seems so wishy washy and I have great reference from her school and district. It is so frustrating. I think you did what you could do and the right thing by saying Thank you. The other thing, I do is always write a hand written thank you as well. I really think this is the personal touch that in the past has gotten me jobs when they weren't planning on offering me the job. Good luck!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2010

No regrets.

What you did was common courtesy. Whether you get the job or not, the letters certainly didn't COST you the job.

And if, by some chance, you didn't get this job, the recipients of those letters may just remember you when the next opening pops up.

5. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 9, 2010

I am trying NOT to feel discouraged. Her statements could go either way (which is probably what she was trying to accomplish...lol). The principals in this system (DOD schools) do not extend job offers...they have to send their recommendations to an HR office in another state who will then contact us with the offer or the rejection...and they are not even allowed to give us information on our status.

I only have one other application out for a job related to my Master's degree, but since it is a 2-year grant based position...I am not as excited about it as I am about a real teaching job :)

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2010

Why only one other application out?

7. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 9, 2010

I am at the point in my life where I am being "picky" in where I teach. I do have my application in for the local school system (which is where I have applied for the other job related to my Master's), but there are few positions at this point. I am aiming for jobs in the other system because it is a much better environment for teachers and students. I taught there for 2 years before we had to move due to my husband's military orders, and I would LOVE to be back there.

I had looked into private schools, but the pay would not even cover my child care bills and student loans:( I do not even have options to work in other counties, because I cannot give up hours a day to commute, as our county is large and the other counties in the area are quite rural with schools located centrally in the counties.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2010

Wow. coll- your tag line says it all "hoping for that perfect job". The educational job market is tough at best. In these economic times, it's more than tough. My district recently had 1500 resumes for 3 openings. Add to that your status as a 'military family member'...schools are going to wonder how long you may be able to commit to them. Applying to DOD schools is probably a good idea because they 'get it' about the military lifestyle so that may give you an edge but you are still in competition with other candidates who will go anywhere, teach anywhere, do anything to teach. It's a luxury to be able to be 'picky' about where one works, but with no job offers on the table can you afford to be so selective? There was a saying we had when my husband was active duty military: 'Bloom where you are planted'. You may not find the 'perfect job', but you may just find a job where you can make a difference in children's lives, get great experience, grow professionally, and help with your family's finances. Go bloom.

9. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 9, 2010

I agree that it is a luxury to be picky. I have sub positions in both the local schools and the schools aboard the base. I can do that if I don't get my "perfect" job this summer. My application is out there, and I have spoken with some principals. Sadly, the positions are just not there, and all of my friends who have been hired in jobs for the next school year in our county schools had interim positions this past year. As of right now, the system only had about 70 positions, and most of those were middle/high school. They are supposed to be conducting interviews for the grant-based position I applied for sometime in the 2nd half of the month. I have contacts within that department who have told me I am one of only 2 qualified applicants at the moment, and there are 4 positions. While this job is not my 1st choice, I would definitely accept it if offered.