thank you note question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Elena5, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Elena5

Elena5 Rookie

Dec 20, 2008

I have a question for those of you who received a gift from the whole class. Do you write a thank you to each student, or just to the room mother who organized getting the money from all the parents? I received a Staples gift card from my class, and I have no idea how many of the parents gave money towards it, so if I do write thank yous to each parent, would it make them feel uncomfortable if they didn't contribute to the gift.

3. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Dec 20, 2008

Maybe you could type a thank you note on festive stationary and make copies for each child to send home.

4. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Dec 20, 2008

or in a jan note home just say thanks to everyone who contributed in buying my Christmas gift I will enjoy.

5. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2008

I like this idea because you don't have to ask the Mom who organized it about who paid; in case you wanted to thank each one individually AND you won't be tempted;) to label the ones who didn't help; as having cheap parents. :lol:
    Rebel1

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2008

I like this!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2008

I would do one for the whole class.

Then anyone who shopped and wrapped a gift for me personally gets his or her own thank you gift.

8. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Dec 21, 2008

This has happened to me before. I write a personal note to each child. Perhaps there were circumstances that several children could not contribute. It doesn't hurt to take the extra time to do this.

9. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2008

Send a note home to each child.....you'll never know who did or did not send in $$ for the gift....just thank them all!

10. Elena5

Elena5 Rookie

Dec 21, 2008

Thanks for the advice. This is my first year working at a new school and having the experience of receiving a gift from the whole class. In the past I would mail thank yous to the students who gave me gifts. I would address it to the family and this way I could be sure that the parents actually received the thank you.

In addition to the class gift, some students also gave me cards and baked goods or candy. So I'm thinking I'll send these students thank yous and then send home a general thank you to everyone for the class gift in their weekly folders. Does that sound like a good idea?

I really appreciate the gift and the parents at this school can be demanding and difficult, and I'm new and just want to do the right thing and try to please them and make a good impression.

11. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Dec 23, 2008

I LOVE that you asked this question as I am wondering about this myself. I like the idea of mailing a letter to those who gave individual gifts, then send home a letter on nice paper to everyone about the class gift in January (as not to make it awkward for those who did not contribute.) Thanks for the great advice:)

12. Grade3rules

Grade3rules New Member

Dec 30, 2008

About half my class contributed to my gift, which was cash. I have the names of the families that contributed. How do I word the thank you? Do I say "thank you for contributing towards my Christmas gift"? Or something like "thank you for the Christmas gift"? I really appreciate the money and I would like a nice way to word my thank you. Thanks!

13. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2008

how about, "Thank you for the monetary Christmas gift...

14. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Dec 31, 2008

I would leave out the word money, cash, or monetary. Just go with Christmas gift.

15. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2008

I don't write an individual note to each child if it was a gift from the class. I do the note in January to "everyone" and mention what I used the gift card/money towards. If a child gives me a gift from just her or her family, I write them a personal note and mail it over the break.

I think that you may cause confusion and embarassment if send home a personal thank you to parents who didn't contribute. Especially if the child opens the note before the parents and they happen to ask, "hey mom, what DID we get the teacher?"
    Kim

16. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 31, 2008

i write a special thank you note to each child, the kids love to get notes, and it, to me, shows good manners

17. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Dec 31, 2008

room mothers

Don't forget to write a special Thank You note to the room mothers and mail it. It might also include them as you write your class Thank you. They should be acknowledged both times.