Thank You Letters From Students?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MathYay, Jul 22, 2012.

1. MathYay

MathYay New Member

Jul 22, 2012

Teachers, I am a semi-new teacher at a university, and I love anytime I receive a letter of appreciation from a student. I thought this would be a nice forum to share some of those memories.

Do you enjoy receiving "Thank you" letters from your students?

If so, what are some of your favorite ones/the ones you treasure?

Do you ever respond to a letter? If so, what do you say/how much do you say back? (This question a bit of me asking for advice on the whole "responding to a letter" topic. :))

3. MathYay

MathYay New Member

Jul 22, 2012

Some of my favorite letters include anytime I have somehow helped motivate a student/helped them better understand a concept/idea.
    There was one funny one in specific that said something similar to, "I thought math was the death of me, but now I can wake up every morning knowing that I can kick some integral butt." :lol:

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 22, 2012

I've gotten a couple of thank you letters from my students, but I get hugs from (current and) former students daily during the school year. When my mom died a little over a year ago, one of my former "firsties" (in third grade at the time) wrote me a 4 page letter about how sorry she was that my mom had died, and how I had been like a mom to her. I still cry when I read it.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2012

I get drawings from my third graders and notes with hearts and 'you're the best teacher' left on my desk. :love: I've gotten lovely notes fom parents thanking me or a great year with their children. I don't send thank yous for thank yous. I hang the kids artwork and notes...the parents know I love their kids.:love:

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2012

7. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jul 22, 2012

You know what's weird? As a substitute teacher while in college, I was written half a dozen thank you letters from students.

I've had my own classroom for five years now, and I've received only one from a student, and I could tell it was forced by the parents. I must be a lame-o! :haha:

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2012

Don't worry about it, jw...just do your best job. I'm sure you are appreciated!

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 22, 2012

I've received a few notes, but only one real letter. In it the student said that my class was the worst subject he had ever taken and the hardest by far. It was really a thank-you note, honest!

It actually means more to me than if someone who loved the subject wrote it.

10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 22, 2012

I received a handful at the end of my student teaching. I included one in my teaching portfolio. The kid wrote about how well I differentiated instruction, engaged learners, and brought the material to life. It pretty much read like a letter of recommendation. He was an extremely mature honors student, and if I didn't know him I wouldn't believe a student would write that.

11. MissApple

MissApple Companion

Jul 23, 2012

I must confess, I buy a yearbook every year, just so I can get my students to write notes to me :lol: I did it my first year as a sub and it's been a tradition ever since. I always love seeing who just scribbles their name, and who claims and entire page to themselves. : ) Even though I'm prompting them to write to me, I'd like to think it gives them to opportunity to express things they might not do otherwise. I've been moved to tears by some of their notes and am so glad I was able to read them.

I got a couple of letters this year, because a few teachers had their students make cards for teacher appreciation week. Some were from kids I work very closely with, so I wasn't surprised, but one came from the last kid I'd have expected, and he wrote a whole long note about how I'm the only teacher in our HS he thought kids could really talk to and be open with. I was really touched, because I never felt I'd really gone out of my way for this kid.

12. MathYay

MathYay New Member

Jul 23, 2012

Oh, these are so heart-warming!
    And the idea of buying a yearbook so that students will sign it is a good one! :haha:

Do any of you ever respond to a student's letter? Since I teach at a university, my "Thank you" letters tend to arrive through e-mail; I'm always overjoyed when I receive them, and I always want to say something nice back.