Thank you cards/notes/ideas

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Nov 16, 2019.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 16, 2019

Hello, friends!

I am in need of ideas for thank you cards/posters/notes. We have several business that are adopting us this holiday season: one grocery store is donating 50 Thanksgiving meals, another company is donating 100 bikes, Costco is donating jackets, and the list goes on. It’s a well-known fact that we have the lowest socioeconomic status in the city, so businesses take care of us around this time.

How do I make sure to make each business feel special? We’ve done cards in the past.

Thanks for your ideas!

3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 16, 2019

People/ businesses donate a lot here too and there a few ways we thank them. Some businesses display beautiful thank you cards made by kids in their businesses. Parents often go to see their child's card posted. ( Made in art and writing class.)
    Sometimes we write thank you letters to Letters to the Editor of local papers. I think thank you cards are really important especially when they are specific in how they helped. With confidentiality of who benefits, it'd still be good to tell the difference it made to some families w/out using names.

4. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Nov 17, 2019

What about a thank you video? Maybe with the kids singing a short snippet of a song, and then saying, "THANK YOU" at the end. You could send a simple card with a QR Code for the video pasted inside the card.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 17, 2019

That is a really good idea! :)

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 19, 2019

Ditto! You might also reach out to TV and radio stations that often shine a light on the good works of others, especially around the holidays. It might be possible for the local news to pick up the story, and this could be coordinated with ways that the community has found to celebrate, maybe a little brighter, and filled with cheer, thanks to those organizations that take the time, show the concern, and find ways to support with financial aid for those who are the financial base for these businesses. If you take the time to coordinate with your businesses that are concerned about doing good deeds, often behind the scenes, maybe they have community segments where the light of gratitude can be shined in ways that can build up morale within the community, without making it a "see what I did" brag. I can envision personal impacts that might not otherwise be shared, and company highlights that illuminate the good deeds that these businesses are associated with not only during the holiday season, but also during other times when the community is in need. I would love to see more stories about grassroots generosity, especially those that support our students, and often coming from the hearts of these businesses, when no one is looking to say "look at what we have done".

YoungTeacherGuy, thanks for offering us the opportunity to consider ways that we can honor those who give without asking for recognition or praise. Many give selflessly, but that doesn't mean that we can't shine a light on these good deeds. Happy holidays - so many do so much in silence, but with full hearts. It is wonderful to be able to shine the spotlight on those businesses that are often the unsung heroes and unexpected safety nets that support communities. I know that I frequent the businesses that put community first, and I believe others feel the same way.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 19, 2019

With the video you might need parental consent for each child in the video. I know our school has forms the parents have to fill out.

ecteach likes this.