TG Plans?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 5, 2013

Thanksgiving will be here before we know it. What are you doing on the day & the week?

I'm staying in town. I'm thinking of having a healthier TG dinner with not only less dishes, but healthier ones. My BF & I need to lose some pounds these days! (If not, I'll make reservations at a restaurant who puts on a TG buffet, like we did last yr. It depends on how well we keep up our diets/fitness all month.)

My parents will probably be visiting during the week.

BF & I will go to the LA Auto Show & then spend the rest of the day around LA. We usually go (to the show) every other year.

I have a grad school paper & studying for a final, but I want to finish before that week off, so I'm not stuck with my head in a book all week!

Try to maybe go to San Diego one of those days.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2013

We have a week off for Thanksgiving. My daughter has a dentist appt on Tuesday. No real plans the rest of the week. Thursday, I'll run a 5K in the morning and then probably come home to cook Thanksgiving dinner for my daughter, my dad, and myself.

4. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 5, 2013

Oh.

When I saw this title, I thought we were going to all guess what plans TeacherGroupie had for today. Figured it was a new game. ;)

I get the whole week off, so I plan to use it to rest up, perhaps work on my card making (i.e. paper therapy) and maybe dig into some books.

Maybe do some Christmas shopping, but I want to be done before Wednesday, as I NEVER do Black Friday anymore.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2013

My baby will be home for a few days! It will be first time she's home since the first week in August.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 5, 2013

The first weekend of break, I'll be at a board game convention. Then I have a date with my junk room. It needs a lot of attention. Thursday we'll eat with hubby's family, then Friday shopping and putting up the tree. That last weekend I'll wrap presents and relax!

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 5, 2013

I don't normally do, nor like to do the Black Friday thing, but I'm starting to think, if the Apple store is having a sale, I'd like to possibly, maybe get a new desktop! My old Dell is slow, probably got a virus or two, & I'm ready for something else!

Does anyone know if there are different deals going on when you go to the store as opposed to shop online (on Black Friday)?

Ted, that paper therapy sounds calming. How long have you been doing that?

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 5, 2013

I only have to work Monday that week so Tues and Wed I will probably shop a bit and clean the house. Thursday we are either having dinner at our house or going out to a local restaurant that has a fabulous buffet. Friday I don't step out of my house at all to avoid the Black Friday crazies! I will probably read some and get some school work done also.

9. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 5, 2013

Ms. I, I STRONGLY recommend it. :) It's very calming and rewarding in that you can give away cards you make to loved ones. :) It's a win-win. But beware... it's a slippery slope with all the stamps, inks, and paper you'll want! ;)

I even have a blog of my creations. I sometimes share my blog with my students so they see their teacher actually has interests OUTSIDE the classroom. ;)

10. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 5, 2013

I believe (don't quote me) there are websites that specialize on sharing Black Friday deals.

Example:
    http://www.theblackfriday.com/

Also, there is Cyber Monday (it's the Monday after the Thanksgiving weekend when online stores have a lot of allegedly good deals). :)

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 5, 2013

I don't go crazy shopping. I'm never after a big item, and I refuse to leave my house before 3 AM. I avoid Wal-Mart if at all possible. I usually do JC Penney, Old Navy, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Bath and Body Works. I usually get clothes for my nephews (and myself...) at Old Navy, cooking stuff at JC Penney (if there are doorbusters) and K-cups at BB&B. B&BW is smell good stuff for the house, and the bag that is cheap, which I pull apart to use in multiple gifts. This year I have a Kohl's giftcard, so I may go there. I shop a few little local stores, including a restaurant that has $20 gift cards for $10. If Target has any board games, I'll go look at those. If Loft has a good sale, I'll look at that, also. My last stop is always Starbucks for a holiday treat, and then home to decorate!

I use the websites, but my favorite is sitting down with family on Thanksgiving and planning my attack, looking at sales papers! I've never encountered a Grinch out. I love driving around listening to Christmas music. I have a snowman sweatshirt I always wear!

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 5, 2013

Is this quilling? My assistant quills. She has had some issues with focus and depression, and she says when she gets really manic and/or down, she quills. She will do it for hours.

13. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 5, 2013

Hi kcjo. :)

Well, one CAN quill with paper, for certain.

No, what I do is basic cardmaking. Just greeting cards. :) I use stamps, ink, etc. I do some embossing and paper piecing, but no quilling. I do a bit of sewing from time to time or handstitching.

14. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 5, 2013

Meh, Thanksgiving was so last month!

15. bison

bison Habitué

Nov 5, 2013

:lol:

We'll be going down to my mom's house for the big feast, as always. I can't wait! If she's not having any other overnight guests, I might try to go stay down there for a few days to help her out.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 5, 2013

Thanks Ted.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2013

:lol: With Lauren at school "down south", I get to celebrate Thanksgiving twice (without the time off work, however)!

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 5, 2013

I don't know much about it, other than what she's told me-I'm quite certain I would never have the patience! This is what I was talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quilling

:)

19. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2013

My fiance will be in town the week before Thanksgiving week, so that will be wonderful--I'm looking forward to just being together, not visiting each other, if that makes sense.

Then, we'll be driving all over the Midwest. Next year, when he is a pastor, we probably won't be able to drive to family on the actual holidays, so we want to get to both of ours this year. That means Tuesday after school driving the 13 hours up to his parents (maybe stopping at mine to crash for a few hours overnight; they're basically on the way). We'll spend Wednesday and Thursday there, then drive the 5 hours to my parents for on Friday morning. We'll celebrate on Saturday, and then drive the 8 hours back down here on Sunday. Then he will have a 4 1/2 hour drive on Monday morning back to school. I really wish I could read (or really, do anything) in the car...

20. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 5, 2013

Yep, that's quilling. :)

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2013

I'm cooking.

It will be the 5 of us, my sister and her family of 5, and my mom. Not sure who else will be around-- possibly another sibling and his/her family.

Then I'll be up and out by about 3 am for Black Friday. Everyone else is planning to go to the Islander game that afternoon-- fine with me, since I can shop as long as I want, then hit the sack.

22. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 5, 2013

I can't read in the car, either. Now when we are taking trips my husband and I get an audio book at the library, load it on an iPod, and listen to it. It is great!

23. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 5, 2013

I will be cooking for around 15, and on Friday we will celebrate my daughter's birthday with just the four of us. I am really looking forward to just my hubby and girls on Friday; between living in 3 different cities and their schedules, it is hard to get that special time.

24. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Nov 5, 2013

Don't know where we'll be yet, but just looking forward to having everyone together. We will definitely shop on Black Friday. We will also be celebrating my daughter's birthday.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2013

I cook for between 12-16... Need to confirm my guest list. It's all about family time for us...I'm NOT into fighting crowds for Black Friday deals. DHs family will be staying here so it's a lot going on!

26. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2013

We are off Wednesday-Friday that week, but I'm out on Tuesday for jury duty. I go to Mom's on thanksgiving day. The big meal is at lunchtime, then we play cards & talk all afternoon. Supper is leftovers. I look over all the Black Friday ads.

We don't exchange big presents, but I love a good bargain. I'll shop on Friday. Last year I was in Kohl's at 2AM. I'm a night owl. I don't go where the crazy people are, but I find good bargains.

27. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 5, 2013

We have the week off. My mom is hosting, she lives just a few minutes away. Im making homemade salsa and homemade cranberry sauce. We have family pictures on Black Friday. I may decide to shop a little afterwards depending on how I'm feeling.

28. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Nov 5, 2013

We are off Weds. at 1:30 p.m. We'll have a late lunch at my parents' house on Thursday.

My sister and I love Black Friday shopping-- it's like a sport for us. We'll make a "battle plan" Thursday after lunch. We do avoid the crazies, though, as we're not typically after big ticket items. We end with breakfast at Panera bread.

In the afternoon on Friday, we'll go back to Mom's and put up the tree there together.

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2013

Not a thing.

30. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 5, 2013

I will cook--as usual. The only other people in my family who can cook are my SIL and my 13 yr. old GS. We will have TG on Friday, as we are the second stop. It is a lazy day for us. I help the 2 youngest make Christmas gifts for their moms. This year I bought a kit on line. (Cut and Glue felt ornaments.) I was lucky and found clear glass ornaments at Goodwill for cheap.

31. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 6, 2013

Me, my mom, my dad, and my brother will be staying at home. We'll tell our grandmother that we're going to see my dad's sister in NYC (We aren't) and we'll invite our uncle and his girlfriend and her daughter over to our house.

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2013

Is there a problem with your gma?

33. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 6, 2013

Let's see if I can phrase this without being too... mean sounding.

My grandmother refuses to drive since a car accident she was in before I was born. So as a result, my step-grandfather drives her. My step-grandfather drinks whenever possible. Not the best combo.

Typically, at a family party, he'll drink a lot when he gets there, then fall asleep on the couch leaving football on at an ear-shatteringly loud volume and wake up 4-5 hours later for dinner (as they always arrive 1-2 hours early), then fall asleep after dinner, and wake up for dessert. Or if he doesn't fall asleep, he'll talk your ear off while having a total disregard for personal space. Ones breath is rather acrid when you have three teeth and a drinking problem.

And usually at a family party, we'll have 20+ people, not just 6 people (My uncle and his gf probably won't show unless their other plans change), so everyone gets to talk to grandma & gramps, nobody monopolizes them.

34. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 6, 2013

I just found out there will be 4 us for THanksgiving dinner at the restaurant and then will come back home for dessert. My sister and her husband will join us then and also bring a friend who is visiting from another country (I can't remember where he's from) but he is a fun guy and always adds a different perspective to the holidays. He loves our American traditions and is always thankful when he's hanging out in America!

35. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Nov 6, 2013

I plan on eating. I will be in Cajun country for the week. I'm staying with my aunt and then my cousins. Lots of family, shopping, eating good Cajun food, and visiting. Thanksgiving day will be homecooked with all the trimmings. My aunt is a cancer survivor, so much to be thankful for.

36. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 6, 2013

What a sad situation. There was a time in my life that I thought my grandmother was the strangest person I had ever met, not to mention none too loving or happy or nice. For example, she ranked us grandkids in the order in which she liked us, and gave Christmas gifts with price values according to ranking-I fell somewhere near the top middle, but she really liked my then-boyfriend-now-husband, so he skyrocketed to the top and got some really good gifts, while my adult cousins would open a card containing $1. I'm serious. And no, of course it's not about the gift, but she would do really bizarre things like give a gift, then send the receipt and expect paid back for it. She also would keep track of who did what work for her during the year, and announce the "totals" at Christmas. She was a strange lady. :dizzy:

And even with all that, there is still not a holiday that passes that I don't wish she was still here with us. Don't punish your grandmother because your step-grandfather is odd. Turn the TV down when he falls asleep, have a conversation even if it bugs you, and offer to drive them if he's drinking. Some day you'll appreciate doing that.

37. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 6, 2013

Oh gosh! I would just as soon not get a gift from that woman. I can't imagine: "Here's a gift and receipt. It shows how you much you'll owe me. I take checks and AmEx. Thanks." :lol:

38. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 6, 2013

Yikes and hugs to those who have less-than-ideal holidays in store.

Rockhubby and I are, for the first time, spending Thanksgiving with his mother, stepfather, stepbrother, and stepsister-in-law. Those last two, I met for the first time this summer after they moved here from Russia (she's native to there, he globetrotted while teaching Latin / Greek). Rockhubby is cooking the turkey. My main responsibility will be buying said turkey and finding enough wine to get at least the two of us through the night. Hopefully, we can talk them into turning on Pumpkin Chunkin!

39. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 6, 2013

She calls us every weekend. We answer every weekend, because we know we're the only family members who'll pick up the phone when she calls anymore. She trusts us enough that she gave us a box of valuables to hide from the IRS for her (it has like $200 in it). They are... incredibly impoverished due to a series of bad decisions mostly by my step-grandfather, and partially by my grandmother.

My grandmother is very a arts-and-crafts person. She'll give some interesting gifts, since they don't have much - like one year she made her own garlic infused vinegar. Even corked the bottle herself.

Turned out she didn't seal it properly when corking, when the bottle tipped over in the back seat, it was unpleasant, to say the least, for the 2 hour drive home.

Another year she turned 10 $1 bills into origami animals.

40. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 6, 2013

That's so sad and cute at the same time bros! I hope your holiday goes as you wish. :)

41. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2013

We are tentatively planning a shopping trip to San Diego. We haven't yet decided if we will do a restaurant Thanksgiving in San Diego or if we will cook for ourselves on Thursday and head out to San Diego on Friday. Decisions, decisions.