TFE: SCIENCE (0438)

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by pacman427, Jul 20, 2009.

1. pacman427

pacman427 New Member

Jul 20, 2009

Howdy, I´m new to A-Z and new to CA. I´m glad to see the sharing of knowledge here. So I´m registered for the Praxis II TFE Science this Saturday. I found the TFE English thread (that mentions Math) but did not find one for Science. I´ve been using "how to teach science" sort of books from the library, reviewing the CA Science Content Standards and the Praxis Test At a Glance PDF. Any other recommendations? I see two thirds of the score is based on the essays so any input re what & how to study would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :thumb:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 20, 2009

First, don't think of them as essays in the CBEST sense, because they're not.

Have you taught science before?

4. pacman427

pacman427 New Member

Jul 22, 2009

No I haven´t taught Science before.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 22, 2009

Taught anything else? (Sunday school counts.)

6. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2009

7. pacman427

pacman427 New Member

Jul 23, 2009

TeacherGroupie, what does my teaching experience have to do with the format of the test and test preparation? I have not taught Sunday school. Thanks again for your input.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 23, 2009

Your original post did contain a question about how to study, yes? So I was fishing to see what you know you know to which you can connect what you need to know for the test, is all. Connecting to prior knowledge is a classic and reliable technique for learners and teachers. If you've ever so much as shown a kid how to handle a pool cue, think back to that experience - break it down into components, recall each bit vividly, and think specifically about what you had to do to get the point across. Then connect each component with some bit of The Official Terminology that you have to learn.

Praxis docs typically offer up two or three sample responses for a given constructed response, and the responses differ in quality and in grade. Spend some time puzzling out what separates the higher-scoring responses from the lower - and what, if anything, separates the higher-scoring responses on the page from the essays you were expecting to have to write. Look not only at content but also at approach.

9. sciencegirl77

sciencegirl77 New Member

Nov 9, 2009

TFE for Science! Help!!!!!

I was wondering how the TFE for science went. I am taking it soon and don't know where to start! Any pointers PacMan427??? I took a Pre-Service course this summer and hope it'll help. I just want some feedback from someone who has taken it already. Anything will help! Thank you!! :help:

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 10, 2009

Welcome to A to Z, sciencegirl77.

Unlike CBEST and CSET, the TFE exams really are about teaching in the subject area. You need to know the technical terminology for your subject area, but you also need a good dose of what we may call Teacher-ese: the way teachers talk about teaching. You might want to search for online lesson plans in science, and possibly for Web sites for teachers of secondary science, to scavenge for the terminology you'll need.

11. sciencegirl77

sciencegirl77 New Member

Nov 10, 2009

TFE for Science! Help!!!!!

Thank you for that input. I will search high and low for anything that will help get me familar with the terminology! :thanks: