Texting

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Dec 5, 2009.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 5, 2009

While this isn't really worthy of it's own thread, I just had to vent.

I'm fairly new to Facebook and joined to communicate with my younger sisters and of course I now have a few more friends than that--but only a few. And I've only asked to "friend" one person. I think it's all a little insane. Some of the messages, updates, quizzes, and other features are a little silly. Okay, so...

I was on just now and here is someone's update...it was sent through her cell phone (I said iPhone earlier but it doesn't say that in re-reading it...just "mobile web"), as indicated beneath the post: "I am enjoying a romantic evening with my husband here in the hot-tub while the fire glows and the snow falls outside."

Okay, really? One, I don't want to know you're in a hot-tub with your husband being all romantic. Second, is it really that romantic? Because pulling out your phone to send a text update to your Facebook is pretty...stupid and pretty low on the romantic scale.

People. :dizzy:

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 5, 2009

yes; that's insane!
    I've seen some crazy postings too...makes me think that some people want everyone to know that they are busy doing something...but, please, do we have to know that you're eating this and then a few hours later, you're eating that?

I'm pretty much a private person, so I don't post anything at all. Call me boring, but happy! :)

4. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 5, 2009

There was a couple on the news the other day who were getting married and right b4 the minister said you may kiss the bride, the groom pulled out two cell phones for them to go online and change their facebook status to married. Now that is really crazy.

5. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Dec 5, 2009

People just want TO BE THE FIRST to do something. They were on some talk show, or was it the News talking to the Host abt why they did it.
    They WANTED ATTENTION & TIME for public viewing..:help:
    It's like that couple that had their bridesmaids and the guys dancing down the aisle. It's like, "LOOK @ US AMERICA! WE THOUGHT OF IT FIRST!":haha:
    Rebel1

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 5, 2009

I'm sitting on the porch...

Such a funny commercial!

7. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Dec 5, 2009

I am going to the bathroom now...:D
    Kidding of course,
    Rebel1

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 5, 2009

Just for the record, the Facebook change thing was MY idea first... they stole it from me. :mad:

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 5, 2009

I was scrolling. I reached the bottom of the page. Now I'm typing. I'm about to click on the "post" button.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2009

:lol:

11. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 5, 2009

Let us all know your progress on hitting the post button Sarge!

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 5, 2009

You know, I got a facebook page way back when it was primarily used by college students. It was way simple back then. Now, it's out of control. Anyone can use it. When I first heard that they were now allowing anyone to join facebook, I KNEW that it was going to change. Sigh....

Oh, I friended someone on AtoZ and I so wish I hadn't. Some of her, uh, what do you call them, updates or what's on my mind thing, are so weird and includes profanity... sigh.... I'm much more careful now as to who I brefiend. I don't even know which AtoZ person it is on here either!!!

13. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 5, 2009

I agree, Peachy! It started out as such a nice way to share pictures and things between college friends. I wasn't happy when they changed it either...

I rarely go on mine, anymore, unless I get an e-mail that someone sent me a message. I hate that I have to sort through so much "junk" just to get to the things my friends want me to see.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2009

Yeah, that too. I'm so tired of seeing who got to level 50 on pulling lettuces from their garden. UGH! I tried to see if I can get rid of those sorts of updates, but couldn't figure out how.

15. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 6, 2009

What gets me is that every time you get to a new level, you are given the OPTION of putting it on your newsfeed. I'd think that most normal, polite people would click "skip" when asked if they want it posted.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2009

YES! When I did play a little bit of farmtown or petsociety, I always clicked skip. I thought, one) I'm too embarrassed to post this because I don't want everyone thinking how much time I'm playing these silly games, and two) who cares!!??

Sigh....

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 6, 2009

I've only texted a total of maybe 3 times in my life, so I have no need to do it & I don't plan to start.

18. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 6, 2009

I like facebook, but I agree...it's way out of control. For the record, I hit the skip button.

As to the dancing bridesmade video,I think the couple did that because they wanted to have a fun, non-stuffy wedding, not for the attention. Somebody else posted the video to youtube. That couple seemed pretty down to earth and pretty amazed at all the attention they were getting, but having fun with their 15 minutes.

19. smalltowngal

Dec 6, 2009

I'm one of those that chooses the skip button whenever I'm playing one of those games. And Peachy~I know what you mean about the profanity. There's also a friend that rambles on and on about everything and nothing.

20. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 6, 2009

who cares? don't read it if it bothers you...

people will always post stupid things...I post them at times too...

some are TMI...some aren't...just the way it goes

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2009

It doesn't bother me, I just find it stupid. Also, this isn't a newspaper article or book...it's a sentence. By the time you realize it's not worth your time, it's over. Really, it's not that big of a deal. I just find it humorous.

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2009

Well, I normally have that opinion, the thing is, it's MY facebook page and I wish I could have more control as to what I would like to view and not. LIke, I wish there was a feature that said, would you like to view game score info and level updates from the game apps. Then, I'll say no so that I don't have to read them. I don't WANT to read them but when I have SOOO many of them, it makes it hard to find the stuff that I DO want to read.

23. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2009

Peachy- when you click on 'status updates' on the left margin, it will eliminate all the game stuff. The downside is that it will also eliminate any pictures someone posts.

I hit skip 90% of the time when I play games. However, if I need money, I like to click on what other people post, so it is a catch 22 for me. I never post when I level up or anything. Just usually when I 'find' an animal someone can adopt. I like all my 'clumsy reindeer' :blush:

24. smalltowngal

Dec 6, 2009

Peachy~ you can hide that person's statuses off your page; however, I don't think you can just hide one, I think it has to be all of their statuses that are hidden. My thing is that I have a lot of teachers and my principal are friends on my facebook so I'm kind of leary about what is posted on my page.

25. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 6, 2009

I love that one!

26. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 6, 2009

First of all, you can hide one person's status off of your page. I have one fb friend who constantly plays Mafia Wars and posts it 20 times a day.

Second, your principal does not see what other put as their status report unless they are friends with that person as well as you. In other words, I could go right now and post on my status that I went the full monty at amature night at Chippendales but was so drunk I don't remember it. Unless your principal was on my friends list, he would have no way of seeing it.

Now if I went to your wall and posted something about my illegal street racing adventures with all the local high school kids, then your principal could read it only if he took the trouble to go to your wall and see it.

The only way your principal would ever see what I write would be if you posted something as your status report, then I made a comment.

In the latter two cases, you would be notified via email and could easily delete what I wrote.

Basically, the default setting on facebook are such that a person either doesn't see or has to go out of their way to see what other people write on your wall.

27. smalltowngal

Dec 6, 2009

Thanks Sarge!! Makes me feel better!

28. word girl

word girl Rookie

Dec 6, 2009

When looking at someone's farmville posting (or whatever), look to the right and there's an icon that says "hide" -scroll the mouse over it and it should have two options: 'hide farmville' or 'hide so-and-so' (your friend). I don't know if this works if you play the games, however. But I have 'hidden' bejewelled blitz, farmville, and many other games.

On another note, I do like using FB, but another poster mentioned being friends with colleagues and the principal, and I'm wondering how comfortable you all feel with them seeing stuff you post?

There have been many articles and threads about people getting 'talked to' about somewhat negative workday posts, like 'I'm so tired today - the kids were really tough' etc.

29. smalltowngal

Dec 6, 2009

I don't have anything to hide. I'm a boring person. I don't drink, party, or anything that I wouldn't want my boss or colleagues to know about so I'm 100% comfortable updating statuses and such.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2009

I would be very comfortable SAYING that to my principal. But I see no need to post it where my kids and their parents could see it.

31. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 6, 2009

I dunno Sarge-are you sure? I don't know a lot about the online facebook, because I almost exclusively use FB on my phone. But I know when I access FB on my phone, it gives me the news feed, and I always see what someone else has written on someone else's wall.

For example, I just checked, and I found a message from one person to another asking if they could bowl this week, another wishing another person Happy Birthday, and yet another person telling a friend that she liked her Christmas decorations. Help me out if I'm wrong?

Personally, I think FB got too big too fast, and they just weren't prepared for all of the contingencies that everyone is now noticing.

Apparently I am in the minority around here, but I really like FB. And I like to text. In fact, I almost exclusively text. I rarely talk, except to people I know I will have a long conversation with. My students text me when they need to check on assignments (and please don't lecture me about inappropriate texting with students-I am well aware of all of the stories). I don't tweet, just because I don't want to, but I'm not gonna lie-when I go to people.com, the celebrity tweet scroller is addicting.

I blog, and I check others' blogs. I haven't read a newspaper in a really long time because I always check the online versions. Ditto for the local news. I pay almost all of our bills online, and I get annoyed when businesses DON'T take online bill pay (It is 2009. Come on.) I check the weather, I shop, I watch TV, and a number of other activities.

So I'm just gonna say...I get annoyed when I have to DEFEND my use of online what-have-yous. It really gets under my skin when people look negatively on others' use of technology. It happens a lot. I don't think it's fair to judge someone by what they do with their spare time. And yes, I have spare time. Believe it or not, my kids are played with, bathed, read to, fed, and clothed almost 100% of a time (don't count right now-they are playing superhero in their underwear). And I still have time to update my status and check the weather. Which reminds me, I have fish that need fed in Fishville.

Maybe I'm just grumpy today. That's probably it!

32. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 6, 2009

Are both people on your friends list? That's the only way that happens with me.

33. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Dec 6, 2009

Sarge it happens to me too. When I go to my FB page I can see one of my "friends". I can also see what everyone has posted to their status. And these are people who aren't my friends. I can't see their page only what they posted on my friends page. This shows up on my Live Feed home page.

34. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 6, 2009

Yep, I guess they all are. So maybe that's why? I dunno.

35. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Dec 6, 2009

Check "Newsfeed/Wall" under Privacy Setting. You should be able to check to see if it is turned on or off.

Sorry-do you mean you see what other people write on their friends' wall in your newsfeed? My explanation is directed to the newsfeed.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  36. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Dec 6, 2009

I went to my Newsfeed/Wall under privacy. If it is checked does that mean it is turned on and allowed or turned off and not allowed?

37. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Dec 6, 2009

Kcjo, would you like to be my neighbor on Fishville? :D :lol:

I love texting. I like to text people because (like others have mention) the person can answer it anytime.

38. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 6, 2009

Yes! I need bigger fish worth more money!

39. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Dec 6, 2009

If it is checked, that means your friends can see what you write on your other friends' wall posts in their Newsfeeds.

If it is not checked, that means they can not see what you write on your other friends' wall posts in their Newsfeeds.

Hope this helps, Emma. :)

40. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Dec 6, 2009

It does. Nothing is checked in mine so I guess that is what I want. I don't want them to see what I write other friend's wall post in their newsfeed. Thanks for your help.

41. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 6, 2009

you can 'hide' yourself from 'outsiders'

you can 'hide' another persons status if you don't want to read them if they are notorious for posting illicit things

are there really ways for others to see what you post? of course...it's the internet...