Texting While Driving

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Mar 24, 2013.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2013

IF someone is texting and driving and another someone flips that person off, I actually think the former is more rude. I know you were using your GPS at a stoplight, but I'm just saying. :)

2. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2013

If you put your phone in airplane mode when you drive, the battery will last a lot longer.

I can't believe so many people here text and drive. Here in CA, it's illegal. As a cyclist, it infuriates me. As a motorist, I've found that 9 times out of 10, when I'm stuck behind someone who feels it's OK to enter a freeway at 40 mph, chances are THEY ARE ON THEIR #$%@ PHONE!

If I need to do anything besides drive when I'm driving, I pull over or take care of it before I start. GPS? I look at the map before I leave and commit it to memory.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2013

Sarge, I have to be honest and say it really infuriates me as well. Like, BIG TIME.

4. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Mar 28, 2013

I walk and read books at the same time. But I hold them away from me so I can see my feet and above the book with my peripheral vision. Same with texting and walking. However, I do not text and drive. If my sister's with me I'll have her text for me or else it waits until I'm done. I am guilty of texting at a stop sign with no one else around. I'll sit there as long as I need lol to finish it up. Like someone's said before, I've sent a quick "omw" (on my way) at a red light but the second the light changes the phone is put down.

People using their phones and driving makes me SO nervous when I see them even if they're turning onto a different street. It's dangerous and certain multitasking should not be done!

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2013

You know, what you do when you're walking is up to you. If you Mr. Magoo your way into a hole, over a cliff, or into a big vat of marshmallow sauce, it's not going to hurt anyone else.

6. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Mar 28, 2013

Hahaha of course you're right! I was just remarking on what some others said about how they can't even walk and text much less drive and text. (haha okay wow, my brain is not working. YOU were one of those :p ) People have told me it makes them nervous to see me walk and read because they keep expecting me to take a spill! :lol:

7. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 28, 2013

If I'm putting something in the GPS, it's because the directions take me to an unfamiliar area or are complicated and I'm likely to forget them. That said, my built-in GPS won't allow any input unless I'm at a complete stop. It's infuriating when I have a passenger who can use it perfectly well. I think it's a legal requirement though.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 28, 2013

I guess I don't see anything wrong with texting or using a GPS at a stoplight. I always pay attention to the light, and I go right when it turns green.

I think about all of the other things that people do while they are actually driving their vehicle that are perfectly legal: putting on makeup, eating, etc. Changing my plans and plugging an address into my GPS at a stoplight doesn't seem like a big deal.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2013

You can certainly be fined for being a distracted motorist from putting on makeup.

Who does that anyway? That just seems...unpleasant, ineffective, and of course dangerous. Thankfully I've actually never witnessed it.

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2013

Yesterday a few miles from where I live, a truck driver was eating and choked on his sandwich. He lost consciousness, crossed the center divide and two people were killed.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 29, 2013

The fines around here are pretty high for texting and driving. They should also fine people for eating and driving. I was a passenger once and looked over and saw a woman eating a popsicle but it dripped on her so she was wiping it off and not looking where she was going! That should be illegal :p

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 29, 2013

I've witnessed it many times during my morning commute. I saw a lady curling her eyelashes once. :eek:

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 29, 2013

I'm guilty of eating in my car every morning. It's usually a granola bar so at least there's no risk of a mess!

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 14, 2013

Oh, I see this every single morning. Applying lipstick, mascara, etc.

What makes me cringe the most is people "digging for gold" at a stoplight. Gross! :down:

15. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2013

Texting while driving (in fact doing anything while driving) is difficult in the UK because most of us drive manual (stick shift) cars and so we never have a free hand! Some people manage it but it is really dangerous.

16. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Apr 16, 2013

No. It is illegal in my state, but even if it wasn't, I still wouldn't!