Texting teen falls down manhole.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Lindsnh, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jul 11, 2009

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2009

Just the title had me cracking up. Probably shouldn't be laughing, but it is way too funny not to!
    :rofl:
    :toofunny:
    :lol:

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2009

[​IMG]

As much as it annoys me to only see the tops of people's heads as they go about their lives texting it away, this really shouldn't have happened. I know the workers said they had just turned to get cones, but...

But you're right...textbook cartoon. :)

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2009

I'm sorry..this is funny to me!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2009

Funny to me as well, probably because it's something I could see myself doing--I can text, but cannot walk and text and the same time without bumping into something.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2009

Of course, go ahead and sue. Isn't that our society today? I hope the courts find the girl partially responsible.

8. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2009

I feel sorry for the hopeless girl...... Hundreds of millions of us are obviously responsible for her stupidity.......

The government should warn everyone ........ "if you are walking and texting please avoid the open manhole"

How dumb can you get???:eek:

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2009

Major, I think you're being a little too hard on her. I would say the majority of us have a cell phone and use it occassionally to frequently. Almost anyone of us could have been walking down the same street when the cell rang, and as we reached in our purse or pocket to retrieve it overlooked the hole and fell into it. I don't think she should sue (she's not hurt, right?), but it wasn't the dumbest move in the world.

10. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 11, 2009

Wow. Bad combination. Phone and texting plus a manhole with no orange cones -- a recipe for disaster.

11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2009

It will probably end up being a new warning label on street signs around open manholes if they win the lawsuit!
    Look what happened with the hot coffee warnings! Someone should start a thread with all the stupid warnings we have on products nowadays! Jeeesh!

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2009

Actually, if she didn't see the HOLE, what makes her think she would have seen the SIGN?!?!?!

13. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2009

If you are moving........ walking, running, driving, etc and not paying attention to where you are going... or what is in front of you.... because you are distracted....... who's fault is it??:p:p

I'm glad she wasn't seriously hurt..... but I do hope she gets 3 months probation from using the cell phone.......:lol::lol:

Hugs for you JustMe.......:hugs::hugs::hugs:

14. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 11, 2009

I think there's a difference between tripping over a crack in the sidewalk and falling in an open and unmarked manhole.

15. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2009

There's a difference.... But the person was walking and NOT paying attention to where she was going.... where do you draw the line. Sounds like a "moving" violation to me..... and the city should sue for costs to recover the girl's missing "sneaker."...:p

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2009

LOL....what an idiot!

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2009

Such a hole would be dark and blend in with the street while a cone would be a vibrant neon.

I don't know why I'm taking up for her so much...I promise it wasn't me! :haha:

18. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Jul 11, 2009

I agree! My major pet peeve is folks texting and not looking where they are walking. I run and have to dodge these idiot who just seem to wander thru life with their heads down and fingers on both hand texting. My dh says we need to get one of those loud blow horns and play it in the wanders direction as we run by.

19. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 12, 2009

I don't understand why the parents have the audacity to say they're going to sue. It sounds like the girl was texting and walked into a construction site. If she'd walked into the street and been hit by a bus, is that really the transit systems fault?

And being that absorbed in your texting is dangerous. I hope she doesn't live in a major city because she could be robbed, kidnapped or worse, and she'd never see it coming.

20. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 12, 2009

Her parents should be thankful she didn't walk into a moving Mac truck! I guess they'd sue for that too!

Duh... she's responsible for herself, texting and not looking where you're going is a recipe for disaster.

21. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 12, 2009

I have this same pet peeve. I've run into numerous people who are texting on their phone or otherwise distracted by visual stimuli and as a result not looking where they're going.

Needless to say, most distracted pedestrians feel pretty stupid when they run into a blind person! :oops:

22. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2009

Hahaha, I know exactly what you mean! I wonder if they know how ridiculous they really look! :lol: The other day I observed this young girl hop out of the Driver's Education car and the door wasn't even shut before she was texting away while stumbling down the sidewalk.