Texting Question

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Mar 18, 2014.

1. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 18, 2014

I had a friend who used to carry two or three charged batteries in her purse. She kind of freaked out about not being able to change her battery out when she switched to an iPhone. I think her husband bought her one of those charging cases to make her feel better. :)

2. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2014

Ms. I, I know you are concerned about safety and to me that's one reason to keep it on. Landlines can be easily disabled. If your hear someone break in, you don't want to wait several moments while your cell powers up.

3. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 18, 2014

Maybe it is because I have young adult children but my husband and I leave both of our phones on our nightstands on and not on silent. My daughter had a blow out on her car one night and she was able to get in touch with us right away. My other daughter (who just had a baby) texts me throughout the night with questions. Both of my kids that live home will text one of us if they decide not to come home that night so we know where they are. We have a landline because my husband's company requires it (and pays for it) because so far landlines have been more reliable during hurricanes. We do not even keep a phone hooked up to it and only know we know that we get calls is because of the caller ID on the TV. The only time my phone is on silent is when the floating teacher comes in to use my classroom.

Ms.I--it may depend on your service provider. I have AT&T and do turn my phone off when I get to church and when I turn it back on after church, my text messages are dated and timed for the time they were actually sent and not when I turn on my phone.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 19, 2014

Turning your phone off while charging won't make the battery last longer during the day. Fully charged is fully charged. It's actually bad to leave it plugged in after its fully charged. I rarely use a whole battery in one day, but for emergencies I have a little thing that has 2 full battery charges and a flashlight built in that I keep in my purse. The only time I've ever needed it was when the power was out at school and I used the phone as a flashlight.

For what it's worth, I also use a laptop as my primary computer, so it is basically always plugged in if I'm using it, unless I grab it out of my bag for a few minutes at night to check something.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 19, 2014

Ms. I, have you looked into Google Voice? I THINK that may be more accurate in regards to listing the times it was sent (I use Google Voice as my primary method of texting)... but I could be wrong about this.
    But if you use Google Voice, then you can open up a window tab to Google Voice page, and watch the text come in online, on your computer. You can also text from your computer. I sometimes use this if I'm too lazy to get up and grab my phone, but my computer is nearby (think lounging on the couch :D)

So, even if your phone is off, you can still watch for texts coming in on your computer. And if the volume is on your computer, then it will make a little "blip" noise.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 19, 2014

Yes, Peachy, I've set up a Google Voice account for an at-home project I was working on. I don't use it for anything else, but thanks for mentioning it!

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 19, 2014

Oh, for the days before cell phones, tv and preschool.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 19, 2014

My phone and battery are over two years old and even with a fair amount of use easily hold a charge for at least two days.

9. teach1

teach1 Companion

Mar 19, 2014

Ms. I... you mentioned "using the juice" but just so you know... your phone battery will be exactly the same and last the same amount of time whether you have the phone off and charging throughout the night, or if you have it on and charging throughout the night.

seems to me you just like having it off at night (which is fine) but it honestly isn't helping how long your battery will last the next day :)

10. msaly

msaly Comrade

Mar 19, 2014

That is awesome! What kind of phone do you have? My phone is dead by noon and that's with no phone calls and minimal use. I keep a charger at work. I can't wait to get a new one in 2 months!

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 19, 2014

iPhone 4

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2014

I have a 3-year old Blackberry--I charge every 3 days or so.