Texting Question

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 18, 2014

I don't text much, but when I do, it must be really important. I notice that when I turn my phone on, if a text came through, it says it was sent at the date/time I'm turning on my cell. It's happened too often to be a coincidence. What if the text came when I had my phone off, then when does it send it? I'd MUCH rather it say the precise date/time the text was actually sent...not the date/time I turn my phone on for the day! :mad:

A misunderstanding just happened this morning because when I turned my cell on at 9:05am, a text came through saying sent at 9:07am, yet my sender said she sent a text last night, which I never got.

Is this how it works with everyone's cell phones?

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Mar 18, 2014

I don't know. I don't turn mine off. I just silence it if I don't want to hear it ring for whatever reason. I'll turn it off and back on to reboot it sometimes if it acts up.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2014

I do the same as SpecialPreskoo. I do usually turn roaming off when I'm travelling to the States, and when I cross the border all of my emails come through with the date and time I am receiving them.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 18, 2014

But don't you turn it off for the night, like for ex, from 11pm - 5am or something? Or do you keep it on 24/7, even when it's charging too?

6. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2014

I keep mine on 24/7. It's on silent probably 24/6 all total. My alarm can be heard even when on silent. The only time I really turn my sound on is if I am expecting a call that is important.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2014

Same here.

8. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Mar 18, 2014

I would be kind of surprised if anyone does turn it off, especially if its your only phone.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 18, 2014

This, exactly.

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Mar 18, 2014

I rarely turn my phone off either, only on silent. We haven't had a home phone in years, but just recently got one in our new house. I'm not sure about the texts.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 18, 2014

I have a landline, which is my primary phone, so I have no need to leave my cell on forever. I turn it off every night to charge. If I'm not expecting a text from anyone, I turn it off in the early evening. I only text 1-3 people & one of them is only maybe every few months. At most, it's with 1 person every 1-2 wks.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2014

You can charge it without turning it off. If it matters to you to know when texts arrive, you're going to need to leave it on.

What kind of phone do you have? Mine has a "Do Not Disturb" setting which silences all sounds and vibrations. If I bring my phone into the bedroom (to use as an alarm or to listen to music or an audiobook before bed), I turn on the DND setting so that my phone doesn't disturb me in the middle of the night.

13. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 18, 2014

This is normal, if not necessarily universal. The solution is to keep your phone on. I don't know anyone that turns their phone off at night. It's much more common, as others have said, to put it on silent when you're sleeping. There's no need to turn it off to charge. I just restart my phone now and then.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 18, 2014

Yes, I know I can leave it on while charging. I have a Samsung Gravity. If leaving my cell on 24/7 is the ONLY way to make sure the text sent from someone says the exact date/time it was sent, then it's too bad. I guess I'll get it the next morning when I turn it on.

I just assumed that texts would say the correct date/time they were actually sent & not when I turn it on next. That's very misleading. Glad I don't text much!

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2014

If your phone is off, it's not receiving data. Therefore, to the phone, the time when a text is received is the right time.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 18, 2014

With all our technologically advanced ways these days, they can't do it where it shows the exact day/time the text was sent no matter if the phone is off or on? OK.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2014

I mean, it sounds like this is making you really angry. The solution seems really simple to me: leave your phone on overnight. It's easier and better for your phone to just leave it on rather than power it on and off all the time. But if you'd rather leave it off and complain about it, that's okay, too.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2014

My phone is on silent when I'm in bed, when I'm at school, in a meeting, or at an event. I only turn it off when it needs rebooting. We do have a landline, and that's the number that family will call if they can't reach me on my cell.

19. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Mar 18, 2014

I have it on while it charges. I use it for my alarm. (Power blinked rather often and messes up my regular clock. I gave up on it.) You can hear it even when it is on silent.

My mom turns hers off at night but they have a land line. She isn't too concerned about when texts are dated.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 18, 2014

Yes, I'm mad about it...for the moment, but if that's how everyone's phones are, then OK, there's nothing I can do. I was ready to call my cell co. & ask them the same thing & if there's a setting that can be changed to show the exact time of a sent text to the recipient. Oh well. I guess it's not a big deal to most others surprisingly.

MrsC, now I'm the opposite. I'm not a phone talker period, but my parents & boyfriend know to try my home # FIRST, then my cell. Plus, I despise talking on my cell at home. The clarity is horrible & I'm in no mood to squeeze into just the right corner of the room, in the closet, up in the pantry, etc. where it's maybe a bit crisper.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2014

You're not the opposite at all, Ms. I. I rarely talk on my cell--I use it primarily for text and email.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 18, 2014

OK, last little rant:

How are people not bothered by date/time text was sent? For example, the real situation that happened to me just this morning:

Yesterday morning, I sent a colleague a text asking what time we were supposed to meet today. In the past, she's not necessarily the type who stays on top of things to a "T", but she'll reply back. Since I knew I'd hopefully be expecting a text from her, I left my cell on until 11 something pm, which she still never texted me, so I turned my phone off for the night & expected not to show up to meet her. This morning, I turned it on at 9:05 & her text comes through at 9:07 saying she'll be at our meeting place soon. She drove & made a trip for nothing because I didn't hear from her. I wish I had gotten the exact date/time, then there's not this "I sent it, well, I didn't get it" type conversation.

I told her I'll plan to call & talk to her to confirm any future meets that we set up.

I know, people will probably say but if I had left the phone on, I would have gotten the text at the exact time she sent it. Now, I know from now on. I just think that's so ridiculous. What if someone needed proof that a text was sent at this day/time?

This particular situation, my colleague should have contacted me sooner though. She said she texted back at 3am. Geez!

OK, I'm done! When's spring break? :)

23. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 18, 2014

I just don't get why it's important to turn the phone off each night. Did you make other plans in the two minutes between when you turned on the phone and when the message came in, because really you should have checked your messages before you made other plans. It doesn't seem to matter what time the text came through if you had already made other plans before you even checked your messages.

24. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Mar 18, 2014

No one is bothered because no one turns off their phone. There is no need to at all. If you don't want to be disturbed, turn it on silent.

In this situation I don't see why, when you hadn't heard from her by 11, you wouldn't have just left your phone on and then checked it right when you got up? Is there a reason you need it off?

25. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Mar 18, 2014

Now some of my friends have has issues with Verizon not delivering texts and voicemails in a timely manner. I mean DAYS later showing up. Plum stupid.

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 18, 2014

Yes, when I used to have a Droid I would get a text from my husband 3 hours after he sent it. Like asking me to pick up something at the store so when I got home I finally get the text and am empty handed with no ice cream LOLOL

I don't turn off my phone either. I'm guessing she would have seen the text too late anyway but the person was trying to prove she sent it at a certain time but nobody could tell because it said it was sent at the time the phone was turned back on?

27. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 18, 2014

If she texted you at 3AM, she probably expected you to get it when you got up this morning, because as has been stated here numerous times, most people leave their phone on. I mean, did you really want to meet her? If you didn't know by 11 last night, I would have assumed the meeting was off. :dunno:

The short answer to your question-your phone will always register a text to the first time it received the data, or in other words-when you turned it on. There's nothing your cell company can do to change that. Email is different, because it was received by the email server. Texts come directly to your phone via data.

Maybe you should ask people to email you rather than text, if a time and date stamp is important to you.

28. msaly

msaly Comrade

Mar 18, 2014

I don't turn my phone off or turn it on silent. If someone is going to call/text me at 3am they obviously need to talk to me.

Try asking your cell provider if they can give you a copy of your texts and see if that has the time on it. But by the time you get those I don't think you would really need it.

I would just leave your phone on silent in another room and then you don't have to worry about it.

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2014

This.

I never turn mine off.

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 18, 2014

Exactly what I assumed too.

Anyway, I know a lot of people don't have landlines anymore unlike me. Again, I rarely text or talk on the cell, so I have no need to leave my phone on all throughout the night while I'm asleep. For me, that's the time to have it off & charging. I also don't have a car charger to charge in my car nor have a charger I keep on me to charge while at work. This colleague & I email each other & text equally, so it's hard to say which method she'll use. I know I'll never let this mix-up happen again!

Regarding me getting the text in time for the morning, I don't work M-F, so she has no idea when I wake up or what I do on my free days. I just happened to turn my cell on at 9:05am on this particular morning.

31. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 18, 2014

Because either they don't turn their phone off or they simply don't feel the need to know the exact time a text came through. I agree with the suggestion that you ask to have e-mail be the form of communication for you since the date/time is crucial to you. I have been known to not look at my phone between the hours of 5pm and 5am so my friends know if they want to reach me at that time they need to call or e-mail me, not text as there's a good chance I won't see it.

32. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 18, 2014

I understand what you are saying, but you are implying that your phone needs to be off to charge and that isn't true. If you were expecting a text from her about meeting, I would have left it on.

We gave up our landline due to service issues and cost, so we keep our cells on all night in case someone has an emergency. If I turned mine off (except during work and meetings) I would likely forget to turn it back on.

33. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 18, 2014

Mine is on 24/7. I don't get why you turn it off? It doesn't charge any better, so I don't get the point about not having a car charger?

34. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2014

Mine has settings where it automatically goes to silent at certain times. I even have a rule set up so that when I am at school between 8 and 4, M-F, it's on silent, but at all other times it stays on. So, if I come to school on a Saturday, it's on, and if I'm not at school on a Wednesday, it's on. It also goes on silent at a certain time at night if I'm at home.

35. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 18, 2014

I've never turned mine off. No reason to.

36. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 18, 2014

I don't turn my phone off, but sometimes it dies or a couple of times I accidentally turned off the signal, so it wasn't getting anything. When my phone came back on, I got all my emails, texts, etc, and it all showed the time I received them, not when they were sent.
    It's really not a big deal to me.

What I don't get is that on my email (yahoo) I sometimes don't get certain emails for hours later, sometimes I get it the next day. That is upsetting, the email's body shows when it was sent and then I can see when I got it, many many hours later. It's just some emails, there's no pattern though.

37. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2014

I have a landline, but I still keep my cell phone on all the time. I don't even get good reception at my house, but I still don't turn it off.

I rarely use my cell anyway. It's mostly texting. I keep mine on all the time, even when charging. I put it on silent when I don't want to be bothered.

38. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 18, 2014

I leave mine on all the time as well. I do have the do not disturb on at times.

Even when I had a landline, I'd leave my phone on while charging by the bed in case of emergency. A serial rapist was cutting phone lines before breaking in. Once I got in that habit, I just continued. Since it is my only phone now, I would leave it on anyway.

39. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 18, 2014

I know the cell can be on while it's charging (plus, I said that a page or two back). I just personally never liked charging it while it's on. To me, it's like defeating the purpose of having it on & using the "juice" while it's trying to charge, but I know, it's just like how people use their laptops while charging which I do that when the battery gets low (like 30-40 min left of usage).

Again, I personally have no reason to keep it on all throughout the night & then I don't want to worry about charging it while I'm out. After May, I won't be working with that particular colleague anymore & there's really no one I'll text with on a regular basis. Glad of that! :) I keep it on during the day & when evening hits, it's off & charging to be all set for the next day. I'll just always do it that way. I know other people probably have a charger at home & a duplicate charger they keep at work in which they charge during the day at their desk. Glad I don't need to be bothered with that. To each their own! :)

40. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 18, 2014

I only charge my phone at night. Sometimes just every other night.

41. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 18, 2014

True, I used to be able to do that, but I've had my same cell battery for over a year, so it doesn't last as long as it used to. I know I have to buy another soon.