textbook rental fees?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ghost, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

You know, I never realized that maybe our county is opening the door on this rental fee. My kids have a mandatory locker rental fee-if they wanted a lock on their locker they have to rent it from the school (same with gym locker) and they have uniform shirts(but you can buy them anywhere as long as they have the school emblem on them and in approved colors). I think it can be compared to airlines charging 7.00 dollars for a blanket or pillow-if they can get away with it,they'll do it:mad::mad:

2. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 6, 2008

We charge a supply fee. We ask for it, but if a parent can't pay we don't press. Pre-K $15, K $10, T-1 $12, 1st $12, 2nd $14, 3rd $10, 4th $7, 5th $7.

This pays for art supplies, Christmas presents kids make for parents, in my case, writing notebooks, paint, colored paper, arts and crafts, and in some cases Scholastic News.

The parents don't bat an eye. Most pay.

3. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

You've got me on my little soap box! They charge in Australia. The only thing free is the 'education' part. The primary schools ask parents for a 'volunteer resource contribution' of $36 per child. I had 4 children at the school and didn't make the contribution. I had a letter reminding me that I had not paid my 'volunteer resource contribution'!!!

At primary school you are given a 'Book List' every year for the following year's requirements. This includes exercise books, scissors, glue sticks, pencils, etc. You even have to send in a box of tissues and a reem of photocopy paper. I'm from the UK originally and we never had to take anything in to primary school. My sister-in-law is a teacher in the UK and she has a budget per student to buy supplies. albeit a small amount and she has to buy carefully, there is no charge to the parents.

My son now goes to a private high school and his book fees are approx $500 (US$460) per year. I bought new because they would pass down to my other children, but when my daughter started this year, there was only one book the same! I absolutely gawped at the scientific calulator that he had to have this year that cost $240 (US$220) + the cost of books!!

My daughter went to the local state high school and there you could buy or rent the text books. The cost was $250 (US$230) per year. Half way through the year I received a bill for 'outstanding text book hire fees'. I rang the school because I had paid everything but was told this was for the cookery class in the second semester. The cost was $6.50 to hire but I could have bought the book at the newsagents for $13 and it would have been ours to keep!

4. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

Just wondering . . . Do school children in the US wear school uniform?

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 6, 2008

It depends on the school. I work at a charter school & the kids wear uniforms. They buy the shirts at the school and then they buy navy blue pants, skirts, jumpers or shorts to go with. The uniform policy specifies the color of shoes, sweaters &, I think, socks/tights.

My kids go to a public school and they do not wear uniforms, but have a dress code policy.

6. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

It depends on the state, district and the school. I prefer wearing uniforms because it beats buying all new "designer" stuff to wear as these kids get older, and when wearing uniforms it's difficult to distinguish who has $$$ and who doesn't. They all look the same except for a few minor details.