Text-to-self Connections

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by cml88, Dec 8, 2012.

1. cml88

cml88 Companion

Dec 8, 2012

How do you go about teaching text-to-self connections? My class is very low this year. But administration is all over me about following the sequence in the ELA program we have. They have a very difficult time responding to stories. It’s not their comprehension, they can recall stories. However, they really struggle with responding. For example, I started out with short opinion drawing/writing [What was your favorite part of the story?] I spent a whole week modeling reading different stories and explaining my favorite part through drawing and writing. However, when my students would complete the task they would just draw a picture of anything from the story, not necessarily being their favorite part, and sometimes their illustration would include things that weren’t even in the story. We moved on to explaining why it was our favorite part…I modeled, modeled, and modeled but it was impossible for them. I’ve got a handful of students who are finally starting to grasp it and my principal wants me to move on. Next is making text-to-self connections. I anticipate that my students are going to have an extremely difficult time taking information in a book and relating to themselves, since they can’t even tell me why they liked a specific part of a book. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had good ideas for introducing making Text to self connections.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2012

Find a book that is similar to something that you can do in class. Have all the students participate in the experience and then read the book.

Since it is so close to Christmas time, maybe read a Christmas story about opening presents, decorating a tree, making cookies, etc. See if the students can talk about their Christmas last year or what they expect to do this Christmas.