Text message rejection (and planning a back-up))

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by live, Aug 5, 2013.

1. live

live Companion

Aug 5, 2013

Text message rejection (and planning a back-up)

I recently had a demo/interview for a job I was pretty excited about. But then today, I woke up to a text message from the superintendent saying, "Thank you for your time. You are not a finalist." Before this, all my contact with the school was by phone or e-mail. Maybe it's just me, but text message rejections just seem unprofessional and weird.

For some reason this rejection is making me feel less optimistic than any of my other ones, and I'm starting to think about what to do next year. My first priority is to find a stable full-time teaching position. I'm also considering paraprofessional positions. But this might not happen, so I could be subbing. This still gives me 2 options though:

Option A: Sub close to home and live with family. I would save on rent. I've subbed in the area before so most schools already know me, but most schools have also rejected me for teaching positions as they were given to current subs (I took a break from subbing to take a job elsewhere). I like the area, but it's not really where I want to be forever.

Option B: Move to a new town and sub.
    I would pay more in rent, which would be tough along with other bills. This is especially true if I'm not getting subbing jobs every day. But I could possibly get my foot in the door in an area where I can see myself settling. It just might be a financial struggle to pull it off though. I'm also not sure how the job outlook is there, so I'd be taking a big chance.

So, my main concern is financial. Short-term, it could be hard to move and sub. But long-term, it could be the best decision I ever made. Or it might not turn into anything at all. If I didn't have to worry about money, I would absolutely without a doubt sub in the new town. Is there anything else education-related that I could maybe do to supplement my subbing income? Has anyone else moved to sub?

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Like many other job searchers probably are, I'm becoming more stressed everyday. :unsure: Trying to think positive thoughts for all of us!

3. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 5, 2013

A text message rejection? After a face-to-face interview and demo?!

That truly is a new low. What has happened to professionalism?

4. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 5, 2013

I can't answer your question about the sub situation, because I have so little experience as a sub. But I did want to comment on the text message rejection. I think notifying you by text is pretty tacky on their part. A phone call or a letter would be more appropriate. Shoot, even an e-mail would be better than a text.

So just file their text rejection under "Rude and Unprofessional" and carry on.

Good luck with your job hunt.
    Sheilah

5. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Aug 5, 2013

I am so sorry about the very unprofessional rejection text you got, live. I know we're mostly inexperienced as job seekers, but we deserve some kind of respect. Sounds to me like you might not have really wanted to work under such unprofessional administration.

If it were me making the choice, I would sub close to home and work part-time to save up some money. If your ultimate goal is to move to a new town, start small first. As far as other things to do to supplement your subbing income, I would look into any learning centers in your area. You could tutor on the side as well, but that might not be enough to get you by. There is always the option of getting a retail job where you can work in the evenings after school hours.

Keep your head up! You're not the one who looks bad in this situation. :hugs:

6. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 5, 2013

I wouldn't move for a sub job, especially if you can live at home rent free/cheap. Try to keep expanding your endorsements/certifications as much as you can. Then try and apply to a wider variety of schools next year that you could possibly move to for a teaching job. Not sure what age you teach but special ed, gifted, esol, ect could all make you more marketable.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2013

A text message rejection is terrible. I'm sorry that happened to you. :(

I don't think it's worth it to move for a sub job.

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2013

I'm so sorry they were so unprofessional. :(

I would stay home for now and sub and save up money.

9. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 5, 2013

I cannot believe such rudeness. Yes, this is an all-time low. I realize that applicants are a dime a dozen--but hello, we're people, too. I would definitely just move on from that and realize that there are better places to work.

I think I'd stay at home and sub to save money if finances are a concern. Good luck!

10. live

live Companion

Aug 5, 2013

Thank you for your kindness, everyone. It really does help to come to this forum. :)

It's almost funny that during the interview we actually talked about the ways that I communicate with others. Who knew, the response they were looking for was "text them." :p I'm coming to terms with the fact that it probably wasn't the right school for me.

I'm leaning towards staying in my hometown to sub too, for the fact that it's more affordable. I'm just worried that I will never be able to leave if I get my foot in the door there, rather than in my dream area. But it makes the most sense for my situation right now.

11. pondering

pondering Rookie

Aug 6, 2013

That is So incredibly rude! It sets a bad example and puts education in a bad light. More and more Ps have this care free attitude on how to turn you down for a job. I guess at least you know and don't have to go through the suffering process of "did I" or "didn't I" when it comes to that one. I think they should have a bit more respect for the position and to you as an applicant and at least tell you via phone or mail..

12. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Aug 6, 2013

I am floored that happened to you. SO incredibly unprofessional and disrespectful. While texting is super convenient, I also think some people abuse it and use it to take the "easy" way out, if you will. I agree with pondering, they should have told you via phone, email or snail mail (do people even send snail mail rejections anymore?).

I would definitely stay close to home and sub. I actually thought about moving back home if I didn't get a teaching job to save money. Then I got a summer school job in my dream area and moved up here (I could have lived with my grandparents and driven about 45 minutes every day, but it didn't seem worth it for only 3 hours of teaching). I thought a fall teaching position would come close behind, but it hasn't. I'm still optimistic and worst case scenario, I sub for a few districts and work at my current retail job.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you find a teaching job!!:)

13. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 7, 2013

Wow. I hope the superintendent gets marked down for communication on his evaluation. :)

14. live

live Companion

Aug 7, 2013

It must be a little bit different here for subs. About half of the interviews I've had this summer and last were with schools I subbed for, and a couple of the subs I know just landed jobs. Subs aren't considered internal, but you get to know a lot of people by doing a good job and having them request you. I'm sure it's not the same everywhere, but I'd be okay subbing and using it to work my way back in.

I'm not even sure I want to build connections in my hometown again, since I don't want to get stuck there. But I probably will.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2013

I was thinking of that exact thing!

"I'm sorry. I can't. Don't hate me."

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2013

That is absolutely unprofessional. Maybe that´s also a red flag and you wouldn´t want to work at that school anyway, if that´s the way admin handles situations.