Text Features

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by mstnteacherlady, Jun 28, 2007.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 28, 2007

I went to a professional development activity earlier this week and got a few good ideas for centers. One activity that I liked the most was a Text Features activity for 4th grade and up. You take newspaper articles (or magazine articles) and cut out different ones that might be of interest to students / will help with picking out the different parts of the text. Then you would label 3 different ziploc baggies (headlines, article, and graphics). Cut apart the article according to the 3 categories above, laminate them, and put them in the bags. I would use several different articles so students aren't always doing the same ones.
    For the center, the students first choose a headline (bag #1) and make a prediction about what the article might be about and write it down. They then find the matching article (from bag#2) and read it. They answer the 5 W's -who, what, where, when, why - and how on their paper and write a sentence about whether their prediction was correct or incorrect and how they can prove that they were right or wrong. They also create a new headline for the article. After they have done this, they find the graphic for the article (from bag #3) and write the caption down. They are supposed to come up with a new caption for the graphic and draw a new illustration to go with the article. The last thing they do is write three higher order thinking questions to go with the article.
    I really like this activity because it makes the students look at each part of the text. They are not only focused on the 5 w's or what the article is about, but what each part adds to the story as a whole.
    Another activity to add would be to have the students create their own article based on their prediction. They can leave the headline the same, but must change the article to fit their prediction and draw a new illustration to go with it. This gets them thinking about the predictions that they make for a piece of text.

Sorry this was so long. I just happened to think of this and thought some would appreciate the idea sharing!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2007

Thank you for sharing this! I think it's a great idea.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 28, 2007

That sounds great for 5th grade.

5. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Jun 28, 2007

Thank you for sharing, that sounds like a great idea.

6. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jun 28, 2007

This activity sounds perfect for my 4th grade class!

7. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 28, 2007

At the workshop, different groups had to actually complete the center activities so we could tell the rest of the groups about the activity we did. This is the center that my group did (which is why I remember it so well I guess) and I really liked doing the activity. I can pretty much judge what my students would like to do for centers on whether I would enjoy it or not - for the most part. I guess it's a good sign that I enjoyed it!