Text Books for Math vs. Consumables!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Starista, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 26, 2010

Good Morning!! :)

In my new school, third grade is the very first year where the children have a hardcover text book for math. They are used to a math book that is consumable where they can write directly on the pages, tear it out and pass it in or take it home. While they do not have a workbook, I have the blackline masters for a practice page, reteach page, homework page and challenge page for every lesson.

I asked the 4th grade teacher how she uses the text book and she explained that she wants the kids to copy the problem out of the text book onto paper and then answer it. She mainly said that was just for problems like 86+87=....

This week we're starting with place value. In the book the directions might ask the kids to solve problems 1-5. The directions, which I read aloud 2x, ask them to write the number in expanded form and word form. So for example, it would look like this:

1. 7,259

My children seem to be have a very difficult time transfering their answer to paper.

When I call them individually to the board they have no problem writing in expanded or word form! But when I ask them to do some problems independently, they become frustrated and it takes a very long time and becomes a tedious task. I do not want them to think Math as tedious -- especially at the beginning of the year!

I begin each lesson with a fun manipulative-based activity and they like that.. but when it comes to the skill of doing the seat work they are struggling. :(

As I have never taught above grade 2 before, I am also struggling with how to make the text book a less daunting task! Any and all advice would be appreciated -- I really want them to get in the habit of using the text book as that is what is expected of them in 4th grade.

Thank you all so, so, so much.

:love:

3. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Aug 26, 2010

Having a good answer sheet might help. In the beginning of the year, you might want to provide an answer sheet that is customized to the day's work. For instance a box for problems like 87+78= but just a line for problems if there is no computation involved.
    As the year goes on (say in 1-2 months) you can have just a generic answer sheet. I know this helped my 5th graders.