texes sped testing?

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by supertwinmom, Mar 31, 2006.

1. supertwinmom

supertwinmom Rookie

Mar 31, 2006

Hello,

I am trying to get my certification in special education. I finished all the required course work,etc. However, this has been so discouraging that i can not pass the texes sped test 161. I have taking this test at least twice and i am beginning to feel maybe this is not for me. The last few times i miss the passing score by 2 points. So does anyone have some tips on studying for this texas texes test? I have looking up and down the net for some study guides i only get a practice test from the website which i did not find helpful. The last few times i have taking the test i feel there was more of english and math than sped questions. Any suggestions,etc. HELP!:(

3. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Mar 31, 2006

What types of questions are you having the most difficulty with? I passed my EXCET (Examination for the Certification of Educators in Texas in 1997. I got my life-time credential in both Generic Special Education and Elementary Education as well. I moved to California in 1999 because I had great difficulty finding employment as a special education teacher. I've been currently working as an Autism Support Teacher in a local school site for children grades 4th-8th grade and I love this profession. If you could give me some specific areas you are having difficulty with, I may be able to assist you if possible. I was also with having Asperger's Syndrome (mild autism) while working as a special education teacher out here. That's where my nickname (AspieTeacher) comes from. Good Luck on the next test.

Troy in Los Angeles, Ca
    AspieTeacher

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 31, 2006

If there seem to be more English and math questions, and if TExES is scored holistically (as I think it is), then sharpening your English and math skills may be the most efficient way to pick up a couple of points. LearningExpress has several books that are very good, including READING COMPREHENSION SUCCESS IN 20 MINUTES A DAY and PRACTICAL MATH SUCCESS IN 20 MINUTES A DAY.

5. supertwinmom

supertwinmom Rookie

Mar 31, 2006

Teachergroupie, i believe it is a different test each time. When i took it the next time there was less math and reading and more general questions. That is why i am lost and whatever i studied it seem totally different. Usually test have study guides i wondering why this test does not. Does anyone know if the praxis is somewhat similar to this texes test? I have found tons of things on the praxis. thanks in advance.

6. supertwinmom

supertwinmom Rookie

Mar 31, 2006

AspieTeacher,

I really do not know what to study.one thing that i would like to brush up on is due process parents rights. I have heard that this texes sped testing is more of a EC-4 test but im not sure on that since i have not taking that test either. advice.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 31, 2006

Aspie, the official quickie test guide for the exam supertwinmom is talking about is at http://www.excet.nesinc.com/prepmanuals/PDFs/TExES_fld161_prepmanual.pdf. Could you have a look and see how much this is like the test that you took?

supertwinmom, I'm guessing you ran across a guide for the TExES equivalent of the CSET-Multiple Subjects and you're feeling hard done by. That feeling makes sense to me - but if there were a published manual specifically for TExES 161, chances are it would cost more than you'd want to pay for less book than you'd like to see and that it still might not help much. (I'm being a little snarky here, but not at you.)

That being the case, we need to look elsewhere. That's why I suggested spiffing up the math and English skills: it's fairly easy to find books and other resources, and if you're coming up just a couple of points short (and noticing all the English and math), chances are that you can find those points among the math and English questions.

Sharpening up the reading-comprehension skills may also help you with the rest of the test - there are questions on that pdf document that I can get right not because I know about special education but because I'm fairly good at the sort of thinking that's helpful in multiple choice test taking. (Which is, by the way, a learnable and teachable art, not an inborn trait.)

You may also find some helpful tips and information on the Examinations for Teachers forum here on A to Z.

8. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Apr 1, 2006

Supertwinmom: I took and passed the TExES sped 161 test last August and my certification area is EC-4. I only had one special ed class and just challenged this test after I was certified. I say all of this because it seemed to me to be more "regular" classroom questions and Language Arts/Reading than special education concerns. I found that a lot of the questions were the same as on the EC-4 Generalist test. You may want to print out the practice test or study guide for the EC-4 test and go over it. That is all I studied for this test. Oh, I did also use a book called "Becoming an EC-4 Teacher in Texas" which is a study book for the EC-4 Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities test. Even though it is not for the special ed test, it has a lot of test taking strategies in it that really helped me. You can find it at Barnes and Noble. Let me know if I can answer any questions. :)