Texes SPED 161

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by fratbrats, Jul 27, 2007.

1. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

Okay.. I also put this on the test thread.... If you have taken the Texes Special Education EC-4 exam, what does this qualify you to teach. I have passed the EC-4 exam, so can I only teach those grades or can I teach up to 12th grade. I'm not interested in Math or Lang. Arts Resource. Life Skills would be very fun!

Thanks in advance to this dumb question!

Sheri

3. teachme2

teachme2 Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

You can teach ANY Special Ed class K-12....I was interviewed for a PPCD class....and I wasn't to thrilled with the thought of having to change diapers....but I got hired to teach resource...K-5....

Good luck to you....you will more than likely find something if you have the Special Ed certification!

4. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

Thanks so much for the info. Everyone that I speak to gives me a different answer, so I just starting applying to jobs at all levels and figured the ISD or principal would know if I qualified. By being able to apply to upper grades, it opens up a few more opportunites.

Which prep materials did you use. I bought the Texes Reviews and the one by XAM by Sharon Wynne. My test is on Saturday.

I actually enrolled my kids in summer camp for this week, so I can study all day long. My husband's out of town, so I can't just go and study somewhere at night. This way, my kids are having fun and I'm getting the necessary prep time!

Take care,

Sheri:reading:

5. reckers

reckers Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

How to register for Special Ed 161 exam

Hi Everyone!

I'm new here. Registered tonight. I was just wondering how you register for the Special Ed 161 exam. I graduated in May, passed the Generalist EC-4 in June and was under the impression that after I passed my content, my foot was basically in the door. When I go to the testing website, it tells me that I'm ineligible for any more tests. I'm freaking out here:eek: What do I do? I need to eventually get ESL certified as well, but I've been filling out on my job applications that I will be taking this exam on August 4. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

Reckers

6. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

Reckers, did you go through an acp? If you did, I would contact them. They should give you the approval for testing. Oops, just saw where you said you graduated. I would contact your university and inquire about that then. Good luck!

7. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2007

passing both the generalist ec-4 and sped ec-12 makes you highly qualified to teach ppcd through fourth grade. But, you should check with your alternative program to be sure they will certify you if you are hired in a life skills or ppcd class. Some ACPs will not certify you because life skills and ppcd are considered severe to profound - and the alternative preparation they supplied did not prepare you for that setting. Check with your program coordinator to see what types of settings you are eligible for.

8. reckers

reckers Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

Special Ed 161 exam update

Hi Nicegirl,

Thanks for responding. By the way, if I want to respond to someone's specific post, how do I do so? I did not go through an alternative certification program, rather one where I did student teaching. Luckily, I found out today what I did wrong. I called my university and they told me to call SBEC. It turns out I'm pretty much done dealing with my university. Anyhow, they told me to go to the testing website and to change my testing route to be "certification by exam". I didn't know that (or at least I wasn't sure). I checked that out over the weekend, but was a little hesitant to make any changes without checking with my university. So, I did what they said and now I registered for the computerized exam on August 8th. :2up: Plus I'll get my scores sooner and will receive a printout at the testing center of how many questions I got right. Thanks again for the advice!

Reckers

9. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

Reckers, at the bottom of the last post there is an option to "replyw/quote" click on that and we will all know who you are responding too. Best of luck with your exam!