TExES SPED 161

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by daddy'sgirl, May 27, 2007.

1. lisamoe13

lisamoe13 Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Spec. Ed test

Thanks - am feeling a little less stressed now!

Lisa

2. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 16, 2007

I had harder math on the EC-4 than the SPED!!!

3. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

That is very good to know!!! I don't know why they put that calculus formula on the prep manual. Maybe to scare people away? Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining! I would have taken this sooner had I known.

Sheri

4. lisamoe13

lisamoe13 Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Spec ed test

I know it scared me! But am taking the EC-4 test in August - so can look forward to more math....:(

5. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

Well, I just registered for the SPED 161 exam, let the studying begin....My practice questions that compliment the study guide arrived today, but not the study guide. :( I did read through the questions and answered about 95% of them correctly, so hopefully that's a good indication. I ordered the Texas Study Sessions' Prep Manual for the SPED 161 and the TExES Special Education EC-12 161 by Sharon Wynne. So, hopefully these 2 will be helpful.

I'll be taking the computer exam on August 4th. Cutting it close for the school year. I noticed that some of the schools begin their new teacher orientation around the 14th of August.

If any experienced Sped 161 test takers have suggestions, that would be great!

Sheri

6. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 21, 2007

Read the ???'s, it's all in the wording.

Remember the "perfect world" theory. You have everything you could ever need at your disposal!!!

BREATHE!!!!!

DO brush up on major research, legislation, and events. Just a general sweep should be OK.

Think LRE, LRE, LRE, what is the LRE for this situation!!!!?????

BREATHE!!!!!

Leave early, DO NOT BE LATE!!!!!!!!

Read every answer and think about why it is NOT the best, then rule it out, when you can't say it is NOT the best, think of why it IS the best, then consider the other answers that may be the best (if any)

BREATHE!!!!!

Just relax, feel confident in your ability, feel secure in your coomand of the content, and feel good that you know your stuff.

Oh yeah and did I mention BREATHE!!!!!

best of luck to all you 8/4/ ers!!! See you at orientations next month!!!!

7. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

Thanks for the tips!!!:p

Sheri

8. lisamoe13

lisamoe13 Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

I just took the test this morning - got 92 correct out of 120 - I hope that is passing....

9. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

Great job! It sounds like no problem! Any tips? I'm taking it on Saturday!

Sheri:cool:

10. lisamoe13

lisamoe13 Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

Know your phonemes from your graphemes :) - lots of lang arts questions that are a bit technical - the math (what I was so worried about) was not bad....and many, many situational questions regarding special education, legal stuff, etc...It was just stressful and am glad it is over. I took the computerized version and it was a very comfortable set up.

11. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

Thank you! I'll be spending the whole week with my head in my manuals. I worked on it last week as well. Let us know when you get your score in a couple of days!:reading: Sheri

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 29, 2007

"Phoneme" and "grapheme" are very important terms in reading instruction and therefore very good terms to know thoroughly. Think of it this way: phoning someone uses speaking and hearing to convey a message, whereas making or reading a graph involves writing and/or reading.

Phonemes, when they're written down for reading methodology or linguistics, are generally written between slashes (/): so we can say that /s/ and /k/ are distinct phonemes because the word loss ends with a different sound than does the word lock.

Graphemes (roughly, spellings) are generally written in angled brackets (<>): so the phoneme /s/ is represented in English by the graphemes <s> and <ss>, and the phoneme /k/ can be represented by <k>, <c>, or <ck>.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 29, 2007

And, yes, I'm probably explaining too much again. Blush. I could just (snif) go away and be a (snif) buttinsky somewhere else...

14. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

Teacher Groupie, I like the way that you explained all that. I wish that I would have had that same explanation while I was studying for the EC-4 exam. I'll use this as a great refresher!

Take care,

Sheri:thanks:

15. lisamoe13

lisamoe13 Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

Same here - I take the EC-4 test on Sunday - so you think the 92 out of 120 is a pass? I know the scoring is not a percentage - so hard to wait for those scores!

16. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

Look around at the different threads, but if I remember correctly, people who received much lower scores than you passed. I know it's scaled-scored, but I think you have some breathing room.

I took the EC-4 at a computer location and it was set up nice. I'll be taking the Sped test at the same center. You are brave to take these back to back. My brain was tired after my first exam. But, you should have the English lang./reading fresh in your mind. Good luck with studying.

My scores came back fast. I took it Friday afternoon and received my scores Monday mid-day. But, it was a long weekend waiting for them!

Good luck again on both!

Sheri

17. sheryl1

sheryl1 New Member

Jul 29, 2007

Hello,
    I am new to the site here but I wanted to find out what material you used to help prepare you for the test. I am working on a Master's Degree in SPED but feel that I do not know what exactly to study for. If anyone can help please provide an suggestions of materials I could use!!!

18. sheryl1

sheryl1 New Member

Jul 29, 2007

Congrats on your score!!!! Can you provide me with matierals that you used to study for the test???

Thanks

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 29, 2007

(brightening)

Oh, goody! You're welcome!

Oh, and /k/ can also be represented by <kh> as in khaki and Kazakh.

And now TeacherGroupie is feeling frisky: Bonus points to anyone who can tell me one word that describes <ck>, <sh>, and <oo>.

20. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 30, 2007

Diagraphs?

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 30, 2007

Very good, hdmeza, aside from it being spelled <digraphs> (di 'two', graph 'write'; dia is 'through' (like diameter), so diagraph would more or less have to be 'written through').

22. computergirl

computergirl Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

I took the Special Ed (161) test about two weeks ago and got a very good score (279) after studing nothing but the study guide on SBEC and the program from certifyteacher.com. It's probably the same one you bought. I also had bought a book, "The Special Educator's Handbook," at Barnes & Noble, and read about half of that, especially the part about types of disabilities.

Just don't freak out about how hard the test is when you go in. It was harder than I expected, but I read each question carefully and tried to eliminate a choice or two, so that made it easier. I felt rather unprepared, but I did read everything I could get my hands on about Special Education, and did much better on the test than I expected. Oh, by the way, I also did the ACP and I've never worked in special ed, nor had a special ed child (other than two ADHD sons) in my life! The Language Arts/English is very heavily covered in this test, so you might also want to download the EC-4 Generalist study guide from SBEC and go over those questions about language arts.

I can do it, you can do it! Good luck!

Alison

23. lisamoe13

lisamoe13 Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

Did you take the computerized version? Was wondering how many you scored correct - great score!!! Am still waiting for mine and am anxious to know if I passed! I also used certifyteacher - and it was great practice as well as a study manual and my textbook. I also studied A LOT of language arts stuff - was a big part of the test.

Lisa

Lisa

24. computergirl

computergirl Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

Lisa,

I think I got 85 out of the 120 correct. It equated to 279. I took the computerized test on Thursday, and they sent me the (unofficial) email with my score on Monday. Then about a week later I got the official results by mail. I think the only way to go is computerized tests. The results are so quick!

Aison

25. lisamoe13

lisamoe13 Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Thanks - I just got my scaled score today online and it was a 273!!!! So I am so relieved - yes I like the computerized test too.

Lisa

26. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

Good Scores Guys! Congrats!:party: I take mine on Saturday. I spent from 8:30-3:00 studying at Starbucks. 3 Grande Toffee Nut Lattes later:woot:

I'll do the same tomorrow. I have to take advantage of my kids in summer camp to study. The summer camp is only about a mile from the Starbucks.

I have to stay away from home, otherwise, I'll find things to do like housework or surfing the internet for teaching jobs, etc.

Take care,

Sheri

27. lisamoe13

lisamoe13 Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

This may need to go to a different forum - but thought I would check anyway - I am still in my ACP program and will be finished with coursework the end of September (it is all online so I don't have to physically go to class) and still have to finish observations. Since I have passed my Spec Ed 161 texes test - would it be a good idea to start applying for positions? Even though I could not start until October? Was not sure how this worked..... Has anyone done a clinical teaching option?
    Lisa

28. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

From what I heard, most ISD's are taking applications for Special Education all year long. You never know if some more kids may transfer in after school starts. Some of the applications are quite lengthy, so it may not hurt to start applying now. I think most applications have available start date on them as well.

Sheri

29. lisamoe13

lisamoe13 Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

Thanks for the information. I will start applying and see what happens...

Lisa

30. coolintexas

coolintexas Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

Weighted Score SPED EC-12

How many correct in each of the four domains do you have to have to obtain a passing score? How are they weighted? I just took my test after having the flu for 4 days and I feel horrible, but I am hoping I at lease squeaked by with a pass.

Any ideas?

31. coolintexas

coolintexas Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

Spelling

God, I can't even spell, at "least"....duh....

I need a bloody Mary and some Nyquil to knock my happy self out so I can get some rest.....hee hee

32. lisamoe13

lisamoe13 Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

Did you take the computer tests? Do you know how many total you got correct?

33. coolintexas

coolintexas Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

Score SPED EC-12

I did terrible.

Breakdown:

Understanding Individuals with Disabilities/Evaluating their Needs
    Domain I = 13 out of 15
    Promoting Student Learning and Development
    Domain II = 26 our of 40
    Promoting Student Learning Achievements in English Language Arts, Reading and Math (I hate math)
    Domain III = 27 out of 41
    Foundatons and Professional Roles and Responsiblities
    Domain IV = 8 our of 24

Total score was 74/120 ...god, have mercy on me and let me pass, because I have seen some people with 65's on up passing.....and I feel like an incubus of death

any ideas?

34. lisamoe13

lisamoe13 Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

I know it is a scaled score - that is about 62% correct so hard to say - I too have seen scores in the 60s pass so there is a chance! That test is hard enough to take when well - can't imaging doing it when feeling bad - will keep fingers crossed for you. Check the TEXES and/or sbec website for scores - they may be up soon. I know I took my test on a Sunday and the scores were up on the web by Tues afternoon.

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 13, 2007

My sympathies, coolintexas.

... And meaning no disrespect, but, um, are you sure you'd be an incubus? I mean, if you're not male, you're probably not an incubus but a succubus.

(The root cumb, cub in Latin means 'to lie'; in- in this case is 'on' and suc- is a form of sub- 'under'. The incubus is the evil spirit that 'lies on' and impregnates innocent young maidens; the succubus is the evil spirit that 'lies under' and seduces innocent young men. Amazing, the uses of Latin...)