texes sped 161

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by daddy'sgirl, May 27, 2007.

1. daddy'sgirl

daddy'sgirl Rookie

May 27, 2007

Hello,

I am schedule to take the texes for sped in about 2 wks. I have reviewed the prep manual and last night I even looked at some of the practice tests from the praxis website. Does anyone have any suggestions on any other test prep material or any tips on what I should be focusing on to pass this exam?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

3. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jun 4, 2007

Hi, I am taking the Sped 161 on 1 week, the 11th. If you are in the Houston are let me know, maybe we can figure this out together. I feel confident from reading on another thread, but I really want someone to help find weaknesses. I have some flashcards and study manuals, in addition to past text books. Good Luck!!!

Heather

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 4, 2007

Try making up questions of your own, using the online study guide as a source of key topics. Be aware that questions may not ask you directly to identify an important concept or principle of special education, but if you can identify what the principle is that the question depends on, you can often work out the answer.

5. Txn7

Txn7 New Member

Jun 6, 2007

Studying for Gen 4-8

My program for alternative certification has a study session where they provide same questions in each of the tested area.

They hold these questions under wraps after the class. Is it possible that they are actual historical test questions and they may reappear in the upcoming test cycle??

Just wondering

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 6, 2007

Likelier that they don't want all that effort ripped off. (Have you ever tried writing test questions?)

7. daddy'sgirl

daddy'sgirl Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

Hey Heather,

How did you do today? I hope that all went well for you. I will be taking the test on 6/14.

8. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jun 11, 2007

Well thank you for your concern, but to my mistake my test is on Wednesday the 13th, haha!!

I will let you know, good luck!!!

9. daddy'sgirl

daddy'sgirl Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

That's great that you get an extra couple of days to prepare. I actually took Wednesday off so that I can prepare for the test on Thursday. Are you taking the paper on computer test. I'm doing the computer b/c I couldn't stand having to wait weeks for my score!! I be praying for you.

10. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jun 12, 2007

I am also doing domputer I am so anxious, I think I actually know less now than before, I just can't seem to get through my flashcards or anything, I am on overload!!!! Good Luck to you!!

11. jedipwnces

jedipwnces Rookie

Jun 12, 2007

I'm taking this July 9th, and I'm troubled by the lack of printed material available for study! I take EC-4 generalist this Saturday, and there were so many more books (I guess SpEd is a newer test?) to choose from. I have the manual available from the TExES site, but wondered if you all had particular places you went to for extra information? Is there a book that's awesome that I've missed? And does everything cost $50+? I'm not impressed with that... :) Money, money. I'll spend it if it'll help, but I'd like hear how well things have served other test-takers first.

Thanks guys, and good luck to those of you taking the test this week!

12. daddy'sgirl

daddy'sgirl Rookie

Jun 12, 2007

I know! I feel the same way. I spent about 4 hours studying last night. My husband finally came in and took my books away from me. He says I'm over-doing it. I just want to make sure that I cover as much info as possible since the computer test doesn't have as many questions as the paper one. What APC are you with? Did they offer a practice test? I took one about 2 wks ago and score around a 76. I hear that the practice is representative of the real thing. Do you know how true that is?:confused:

13. daddy'sgirl

daddy'sgirl Rookie

Jun 12, 2007

Thanks for the well wishes. I actually used the prep manual from the TExES site and the Praxis site. I don't have alot of other material outside of classroom notes and textbooks.

14. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jun 12, 2007

Yeah I am going to have one more crash session tonight after the kids are in bed!!!

My ACP program in A+Teachers, and I have not started the classes yet, they begin on the 18th. I was advised to try the test so I can have passing scores by the end of the month, I have worked in special ed in private so it is not completely foreign to me.

Keep your fingers crossed for me and I will for you!!!

I did buy a program to download and was less than thrilled, but when I took the practice test in the downloadable TExES guide many of the questions were the same, I passed both tests.

My biggest concern is the acts and laws and dates more than anything, and the competencies!!! Oh Yeah and finding a job!!!

Heather

15. tigr

tigr Rookie

Jun 13, 2007

Hey I am going throug the same program and it starts on the 18th what location are you going too. I am doing EC-4 are you doing the same. I think you posted that your taking the test today. Wish you all the best. Hopefully I will get my scores today!!

16. daddy'sgirl

daddy'sgirl Rookie

Jun 13, 2007

My APC is Region 4. I'm new to SPED, but I have learned a great deal over the last 1.5 mths. Yeah, I've been going over the competencies and laws for the past few days. I plan to review everything today so that I can be refreshed for the test tomorrow. I will continue to pray for you, but I'm sure that you'll do well.

17. tigr

tigr Rookie

Jun 13, 2007

I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey I passes I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 13, 2007

Congratulations, tigr!

19. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jun 13, 2007

I am at the Hotel location, the one that is full, but my content will be at the high school location.

20. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jun 13, 2007

No test today, waited for over 3 hours, and they could not get the system running, now I have to reschedule, can't do that until tomorrow, and pray there is anything left before July, as if this is my fault!!

Guess I just get to study more.

21. daddy'sgirl

daddy'sgirl Rookie

Jun 13, 2007

I'm so sorry to hear that. That's horrible! I certainly do hope that you able to you can test before the end of the month. One the brighter side you're right...you have more time to study so that you can ace it!

22. football coach

football coach New Member

Jun 13, 2007

daddys girl... i am taking in the 16th,... will oyu be studying tonight or tomorrow??? please message me if you are ... or if you dont mind sharing some of the test with me after??? thanks .. i am trying to go to florida on the results of this test and SPEC-ED is a new field for me... i have another certification. thanks

23. daddy'sgirl

daddy'sgirl Rookie

Jun 15, 2007

Congratulations!!! So did I!

24. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jun 15, 2007

Comgrats!!!!!

25. daddy'sgirl

daddy'sgirl Rookie

Jun 15, 2007

Thanks.

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 15, 2007

Brava, daddy'sgirl!

27. jedipwnces

jedipwnces Rookie

Jun 15, 2007

Congratulations, guys!

Was it scary? I'm so afraid it will be terrible... :(

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 15, 2007

Awwww, jedipwnces...

Please take the rest of the evening off and do something enjoyable and confidence raising with people who help you feel good about yourself.

29. daddy'sgirl

daddy'sgirl Rookie

Jun 18, 2007

Thanks TeacherGroupie.
    I got my unofficial scores today and scored 264.

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 18, 2007

Do I remember correctly that passing is 240? If so, daddy'sgirl, then it was better than "just barely" - good for you!

31. lisamoe13

lisamoe13 Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

Does anyone know if 92 out of 120 is passing? A few people have said they think so and I know the scoring is not a percentage - but would feel better with more of an idea....thanks!

32. jedipwnces

jedipwnces Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

it probably depends on where those 92 fell between the competencies... did it seem like you did pretty well in each of them?

33. lisamoe13

lisamoe13 Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Just got my unofficial scores today and my scaled score was a 273! So am very relieved.....

Lisa

34. jedipwnces

jedipwnces Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

that's terrific! congratulations. :)