texes special education test (ec-12)

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by houston, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Mdavis21

Mdavis21 Rookie

Jul 2, 2008

At this point Im looking for consolation. I took the test and dont feel good about it at all. It was harder than I expected. I probably guess on 70% of it. Didnt get a raw score at the end as they no longer do this. Looking for a pot of gold at this point.

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 3, 2008

Huge hug to you, Mdavis21. You might like to know that many test takers leave the test feeling very bad about their performance and then find that they passed.

3. Mdavis21

Mdavis21 Rookie

Jul 3, 2008

God bless you. Happy 4th.MD

4. Mdavis21

Mdavis21 Rookie

Jul 7, 2008

I passed 253!! If you goolge texas teachers special education others have posted their thoughts on the test very helpful. I didnt spend a dime on those study guides and still passed. Beware of this strategy. Later. Thanks for the support again teacher groupie.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2008
  5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 7, 2008

You're welcome, Mdavis21, and congratulations on passing!

6. QQQ

QQQ Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

276, yayyy :)

Advice for those who will take the test. Read read read 'Put Reading first' which is a publication/part of NCLB. All my language arts questions were from there. Direct questions. And I passed them all. Contrary to what I heard, there were 20 math questions and some were concept based, others were actual computations but nothing too crazy. LD, MR had quite a presence. Also, very specific technical questions about laws, changes in them, recent additions and even what an obscure law was called before it was changed to something equally obscure.

I was in a state of panic an hour into the exam, too much was guess work and too much was confusing. Its a long, complicated test. Try to complete it soon so u have some time for revisions. I finished in 2 .5 hours and used 2.5 hours to go over unanswered questions or those I wasnt sure of. That helped a lot. Also, for those taking CAT, FYI you can go back n forth as many times as you want and u can mark and unmark questions for review.

Goodluck eveyone!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 15, 2008

8. sateacher08

sateacher08 Rookie

Jul 18, 2008

special education test 161

Well I have taken the test twice and failed
    63 out of 120 1st time - 230
    70 out of 120 2nd time -231
    So im going to try again till i get it!
    Any suggestions?

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 18, 2008

That's an improvement, sateacher08. Where and how do you think you're coming up short?

10. sateacher08

sateacher08 Rookie

Jul 19, 2008

i improved in all areas the second time around, though i went down on english/math part by 4 questions... so thats probably the part that i need to improve the most. I feel im only a few questions off, im taking the test again aug 4th.....i know i need to work on the transition planning questions more and overall im just going to study every day until aug 4th on all parts to make sure i get it this time around...

11. Mdavis21

Mdavis21 Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

Always responed as the most active, student centered instructor, especially with the transition planning questions. I think it would be wise to respond as if you were a partner with the student working with them and taking the most active approach in doing so.
    With the english and math dont forget about sight words, consonant digraphs and blends, prefixes suffixes, word webs, context clues etc. Be patient all the answers seem great at times but others just sound and fit better. Good luck to you.

12. sateacher08

sateacher08 Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

thank you mdavis21, im sure your advice will be helpful when i take it again.... ill keep you posted

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 22, 2008

Be sure you know the terminology cold - you could practice it by finding labels for all the things you've done in your classroom.

14. sateacher08

sateacher08 Rookie

Jul 24, 2008

yeah your right.... i can't wait for august 4th! hopefully i can still get a teaching job if i pass! the results have come as soon as 1-3 days after the cat exams....

15. sateacher08

sateacher08 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

i passed

i took the test on july 31st and just got my results in. I passed with a 253 this time.... all that studying payed off, now its time to find a job with this certification because my physical education certification isn't cutting it.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 4, 2008

Congratulations, sateacher08!

17. fallon

fallon Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

Congratulations, do you mind sharing which study tools you found to be most helpful.....Thank you so much and good luck in your search.

18. sateacher08

sateacher08 Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

thank you

I just studied from multiple sources, like an old book, certify teacher from online and the manual....
    things you wanna look out for are
    manifestation determination, ard, fape, disorders, english questions, the public laws, transition, autism, m.r. and aspergers....

19. anouk

anouk Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

I take the test tomorrow. I've studied for months for this test. I've also read a lot of the posts here. When are the test results usually announced(CAT version)?

20. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

Hello,

I took it last year and saw my results at SBEC in 2 days. I didn't ever receive an email for this test. My friend took it about 2 weeks ago and saw it the next morning on SBEC. I wished that they still gave you the raw score at the testing center!

Good luck! Sounds like you are well-prepared! I crammed for 2 weeks! (not recommended, but it worked!)

Let us know how you do!!! :)

21. anouk

anouk Rookie

Aug 25, 2008

I got a 275! I'm so exicited. The test was really hard. I did not go back and redo the answers that I marked (I took the CAT based exam) because I was afraid that if I went over it again I would put in the wrong answer. It seemed like half of the test consisted of LA questions. Ironically, I did my best in that area, but not as well in the special education area. Now I have to study for the EC-4. I'm taking that exam in October.

22. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 25, 2008

:party:
    Congrats! :2up::party: Now get going on that EC-4! I enjoyed the SPED exam better than the EC-4, but since you already took the SPED, you should have an easier time.

23. anouk

anouk Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

^^^Thanks. Now off to study for the EC-4 exam.

24. gmom

gmom New Member

Mar 4, 2009

I just took the special ed computer exam today - it will be a miracle if I passed. I passed the 4-8 Gen. on first try on the computer. I used the study guide at the sbec website, it helped a lot and was real similar to the test. good luck

25. Magua_8

Magua_8 Rookie

Mar 10, 2009

Im just starting my studying for the SPED ec-12.. Alot of stuff on this thread is helpful. I didnt know what to study at the beginning. But now I do. I will be taking the CAT soon... Just dont know the date yet... Thanks for all the info...

26. Magua_8

Magua_8 Rookie

Mar 10, 2009

I saw that someone on this thread mentioned XAM SP ED EC-12, the price of the book is pretty expensive. I also saw another post that someone said it was not worth getting that book. Does anybody think this is worth getting or is it a waste of money???

27. CandeeStars

CandeeStars Rookie

Mar 11, 2009

Hi guys, I am in an alternative certification program to get my teacher certificate in special ed ec-12. I graduate with my psychology degree in May.. going about this the non-traditional way makes me nervous about what needs to be done for the TEXES! I kind of feel somewhat confident that I can learn the material and do okay on the test, then I feel really scared like I don't know anything!! I want to get the CD from certify teacher, but no one really specified if this helped or not!!

I need help and suggestions! I probably cannot take the exam until I graduate in May though!

28. CandeeStars

CandeeStars Rookie

Mar 11, 2009

Is this a stupid question? Whats an LA questions?

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 11, 2009

CandeeStars, here's an approach that could serve you well: Download the official test guide from the TExES Web site, which will tell you what it is that could be on the test. Then keep an ear out in class for references to that material - approaches, court cases, and the like. If the test tests actual academic content, start looking at things in your daily life that fit the content and think about how those could be labeled with terms that show up in the study guide. What you don't know, look up.

30. CandeeStars

CandeeStars Rookie

Mar 12, 2009

Thanks for the response. I have already downloaded that test guide and have been using it. My problem as far as "listening" in class is that for one, my classes are online, and second I am not in a special education class currently, only educational methods. I am a psychology major that graduates in May and then am also doing the teaching certificate program!

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 12, 2009

Okay, now you're telling me how what you're doing now doesn't relate. One sees this frequently among people who struggle with tests. I'm asking you to think instead about how what you're doing now DOES relate - and don't be afraid to stretch a point. (If your educational methods class never has ANYthing that could even remotely be construed as having some bearing on special education, either it's not serving you well or you need to think sneakier.)

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 12, 2009

LA could be Louisiana, or Los Angeles, or any number of other things, but in Educatese - which is definitely a language all its own - it's usually Language Arts.

33. CandeeStars

CandeeStars Rookie

Mar 27, 2009

Tests!

I am confused as to what I need to take!! In May, when I graduate is when I will be able to take these tests. Do I need to take both the ec-4 generalist and the special ed in order to be highly qualified?

Thanks!
    Jenna

34. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Mar 29, 2009

Hi guys. I take the EC-12 Special Education Supplemental test in less than a week. So far I've taken the EC-4, 4-8 generalist and ESL Supp... all on the computer. I have always gotten my test results in a few days and that's a long time for me to wait.

The special ed supplemental is not offered on the computer, so this is the first test I'll be taking on PAPER. I'm taking it April 4th and the TExES site has the score reporting date on 4/27/2009. That's over 3 weeks to find out a score?!

Does anyone know if an unofficial score comes out earlier? Will pass/fail be posted on the SBEC site sooner?

There are a lot of job opportunities that are passing me by because I haven't passed this test yet. I really can't wait until the end of April to find out a score.... I guess I shouldn't have assumed I was taking this test on a computer.

35. lilredcorvette

lilredcorvette Rookie

Mar 30, 2009

i got 65 and my score was 233. i have taken the test twice before and gotten the same score. i am going to be taking it again on saturday. did you take it on the computer or on paper?

36. lilredcorvette

lilredcorvette Rookie

Mar 30, 2009

i'm taking the test on april 4 too. i have actually spoken with TEA and you should be able to call them and get the results a little sooner. i totally understand about jobs passing you by

37. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Mar 30, 2009

I'll call them and check the SBEC site. Do you know how much sooner I can find out?

38. lilredcorvette

lilredcorvette Rookie

Apr 2, 2009

i'm not sure. i'd call TEA and tell them that you need to know asap because you are looking at potential teaching positions

39. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Apr 4, 2009

Well I took the test today... these tests are always harder than I expect. I went in really confident (I've worked in special education all year). There were a lot of questions about particular laws and such... things I had no idea about. Hopefully what I did know out numbered what I didn't.

I can't believe I have to wait 3 weeks to find out the results. Paper tests are awful.

Also, I took the supplemental test. I was expecting 70 questions and I got 100. :(

40. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Apr 7, 2009

Someone may have already asked this but how long does it take to get PBT results? I am wondering if sometimes they get them done quickly? Or are they alsways posted on the date in the bulletin (like 4 weeks after)? Thanks!