texes special education test (ec-12)

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by houston, Apr 15, 2007.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 27, 2007

ETS is "Educational Testing Service", as in the organization that's responsible for Praxis and the SAT... and TExES.

2. souleyes

souleyes Rookie

Dec 16, 2007

Hello,

Wanted to add to the information here since it helped me figure out that I did most likely pass. I scored a 82/120 on the 161 Texes--CAT today. I'll post the corresponding scaled score when I receive it.

Keep up the posting on these message boards. I'll be a regular contributor now that I've found it. It's very helpful and as you all know, us teachers need all the help we can get.

Jessica

3. souleyes

souleyes Rookie

Dec 18, 2007

Greetings,

The corresponding scaled score for 82/120 turned out to be 260.

Keep your chin up,

Jess

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  4. schoolbound

schoolbound Rookie

Dec 19, 2007

Congratulations Soul Eyes

I am taking 161 on Saturday. How was it? Did you study other material other than the prep manual? where are you teaching in DFW? I had an interview with Keller ISD on Friday hadn't heard anything back yet. I am assuming that I did not get the position she said that she would be making a decision on Monday. I feel I am just not prepared enough for the exam. ESPECIALLY MATH :(

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 20, 2007

What about the math is giving you grief, schoolbound?

6. schoolbound

schoolbound Rookie

Dec 20, 2007

Math.....

is not my best subject. I have struggled with it all my life. I even had tutors and I just didn't seem to get it. I can do the basics. If it gets too complicated it's all over. I was good in so many other subjects but math has always been a problem.

7. souleyes

souleyes Rookie

Dec 28, 2007

Sorry for late reply--Holiday

Don't know if it will help you out since you've already taken the test but I studied the online course from ECAP. Plus I studied the ARD decision-making process and all the formal paperwork they give to parents for ARD meetings etc. All the legal acts which created Special Ed in Texas today. I'm currently working in Arlington. The test was harder than I expected. It had more of those specific knowledge questions that you either know or don't know. Forty-eight of the questions I guessed.

Math is basic so don't worry about it.

:)

Jessica

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  8. yeya

yeya Rookie

Jan 4, 2008

Special Ed + Other exams??

Hi, you all!!

I am new in this. I am going to take the special ed exam on February. But I have a question... do I have to passed other exams in conjunction with this one in order to be hired??? I mean... would I have to have passed for example the Generalist 4-8 and the Special Education exam in order to get hired in 6th grade (just an example)?...
    Please let me know... =)
    thank you in advance!!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 4, 2008

It's possible that the answer to that question depends on exactly what sort of position you're being hired into. You might check the SBEC Web site for the state's rules as to who can teach what.

10. yeya

yeya Rookie

Jan 4, 2008

thank you for the answer! I have tried the Web Site, but couldn't get any info... so...
    would be helpful if someone here could let me know if he/she has been hired with just the special education passed and in what kind of job (grade, etc).... thank youuuu!!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 4, 2008

You might try looking at currently posted jobs - these can be accessed online in California, and the chances are that at least some districts in Texas do likewise - to see what's being required for jobs like what you're hoping for.

12. yeya

yeya Rookie

Jan 5, 2008

I did check for jobs

I did check for jobs in Rio Grande Valley area (around 18 districts) anyway, only one of them mentions what "Highly Qualified" for that specific job would mean, and actually they mention 2 vacancies in special education:
    1) For autism - only Special Ed
    2) For Special Ed/Resource - Special ed + Generalist 4-8

then, I still am wondering if I am going to need more than just special education exam in order to get a job. The other districts are not mentioning but "highly qualified" ... so I do not know if that would be more texes passed that just special ed.

The RGV area is having less jobs available as Houston area, for example, so it is very important to me to know what exams I should pass in order to get a job. Do you know something?

13. yeya

yeya Rookie

Jan 5, 2008

Found something about HQ special ed teachers!

I found something :2up:... What it says is that we should have taken:

TExES EC-12 Special Education exam
    (for demonstrating competency in PK-8 Reading/English/Language Arts or Mathematics ONLY)

THEN... 9-12 is not included for teaching core subjects, just for special activities and/or aid, sustitute, and help...

Please if you could read it http://www.tea.state.tx.us/special.ed/guidance/hqsped.pdf#xml=http://www.tea.state.tx.us/cgi/texis/webinator/search/xml.txt?query=special+education+teacher+certification&db=db&id=10e02ab31cedb6d7
    and let me know if you think the same as me based on what this is saying.... thank you, all!;)

14. souleyes

souleyes Rookie

Jan 6, 2008

Hi,

How much they stick to requirements is up to the Principals. According to NCLB, two tests are generally required to be Highly Qualified in Special Education--Special Education EC-12 Texes 161, and Generalist EC-4 Texes 101 or Generalist 4-8 Texes 111(depending on if you want to work at the Elementary or Junior High level.

You don't have to be finished with both before you start interviewing. Take the Special Ed 161 first then register for the other so that when you go into interviews you can show that you're seriously on your way to certification. Principals/school districts who want applicants that have passed both probably won't call you to interview so only the ones that are interested will.

You will eventually have to take a minimum of two tests. Some Principals require you to take others at their request after they hire you. Principals have leeway on who they can hire especially if you're in some sort of educational program (alternative or traditional).

If you want to teach Special Ed at the high school level, you would take the 8-12 content area of what subject you want to teach.

Hope this helps.

Jessica

15. yeya

yeya Rookie

Jan 6, 2008

Thank you... I think I'm going to ask then to the districts directly in order to know what they require. Tomorrow I'm gonna make the calls. I will let you know.

Thank you! Wish me luck!

16. yeya

yeya Rookie

Jan 8, 2008

questions about CAT (special ed)

Hey again!! TEACHERGROUPIE and SOULEYES thank you very much for your answers before..:hugs:
    ...more questions :D.... I was going to take the paper-based test for special ed, but to hurry up the things, I'm going to take the CAT one. My questions are:help::

can you go back and change answers in the test?

do they give you paper and pencil to do the calculations?

In the case that I do not pass the CAT, the webpage says that I have to retake it 60 days later (again by CAT), but, what if the following Paper-based exam is before those 60 days, can I take it then?

thank you very much again!!! :thanks:
    ps. by the way, I was told, as you told me before, that the requirements for being hired on Sped depend on the district (if they ask for more texes passed than just sped). I already called a district and they can hire someone even with just the sped texes.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 9, 2008

To be honest, I don't know whether you can change answers on TExES CAT. I think so, though, because TExES is run by ETS, which also produces the Praxis I/PPST basic skills exams, and it seems to me that one or two members of A to Z have indicated that it's possible to go back. Don't quote me on that, though. As to scratch paper being available, I would certainly hope so.

About the retaking policy, however, I have not a clue.

18. lisamoe13

lisamoe13 Rookie

Jan 9, 2008

Yes - you can change answers - they give you a chance to review and see if you missed anything as well - and you do receive paper and pencil and a calculator. I really liked the computer version of the test.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 9, 2008

lisamoe13, I don't suppose you know the retake policy too...

20. livintexas

livintexas Rookie

Jan 12, 2008

I took 2 tests this morning (computer). I took the PPR and got a 74/80 and the special ed test and got a 97/120. Next month I'm taking the generalist EC-4. I hope that one goes well too! I was worried about my special ed score until I found this thread!!:)

I scored a 287 on the PPR and a 283 on the special ed. I hope the Generalist exam goes as smoothly!

21. Razorback

Razorback Rookie

Jan 24, 2008

I passed!!

I took the paper based test twice and failed with a 219 and a 230. I took the computerized test and passed on the first try. I like it better. I scored a 70 which translated to a 244. I am soooooooo happy. Has anyone taken the 4-8 generalist, if so computer or paper test? What study guides helped? I am studying the released taks to freshen up my math skills. Any advice.

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 24, 2008

23. Razorback

Razorback Rookie

Jan 24, 2008

thanks, I will check it out

24. lrteacher

lrteacher New Member

Feb 4, 2008

Hi, I am going to be taking the Special Ed 161 test this February. Any advice about what I can study? I don't even know where to start. I have lookin on the Texes website and that review doesn't seem to help that much. Does anybody have a review guide that I can purchase from them?

25. Razorback

Razorback Rookie

Feb 5, 2008

Yes, the Texes practice test/study guide is a really great study guide. I believe you can purchase it at a college bookstore. I borrowed it from someone who passed on the first try. I would recommend the computer test also. The Texes website didn't help me at all. I hope this helps. Do you have to take the 4-8 generalist? Good luck

26. Razorback

Razorback Rookie

Feb 16, 2008

Has anyone taken 4-8 generalist

I made a 66 on the test. Has anyone passed with a score this low.
    Also, what books truly helped for this test 4-8.

thanks

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 16, 2008

Razorback, you posted about 4-8 Generalist in a thread about 4-8 Generalist, and that would probably be a better place to look for answers to your questions about 4-8 Generalist.

28. Razorback

Razorback Rookie

Feb 19, 2008

160 PPR EC-12

Can you all let me know what I need to study for the PPR? It is my final test and I want to pass it on the first try. What are good study materials, and what is the lowest one can score to pass it.

thanks

29. kimboBUbear

kimboBUbear New Member

Feb 20, 2008

What to study

The book I used to study by was Early Childhood Special Education Birth to Eight by Frank G. Bowe. I also did the practice test in the study manual but that's all I used and I didn't have any problems. but you do need to memorize the laws...I did not so I had to make an educated guess :)

30. Razorback

Razorback Rookie

Feb 20, 2008

Thank you so much for responding.

How many questions were on the test and what is the lowest you can get to still get a 240

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 20, 2008

There's rarely an exact number of questions to get a given score on one of these tests - questions are differently weighted to reflect their relative difficulty. I would expect that the free test guide on the official Web site explains how many questions are on this test; the TExES documents are pretty good, as these things go. (You're free to disagree with my assessment, but before you dispute it, check http://www.fldoe.org/asp/ftce/ftcecomp.asp to see how much worse things could be.)

32. kimboBUbear

kimboBUbear New Member

Feb 21, 2008

Razorback

Just to make sure we are on the same page...you are talking about the Sped EC-12 right?
    I am not sure how their grading systems work so I can't help you there. I just know you have to have a 240 but how they convert to that scale, who knows :)

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 21, 2008

The algorithm that converts raw scores to scaled is, for most tests, more closely guarded than the family jewels. It's possible to work out an approximation, but that requires information about the number of questions on the test, the number that don't get scored, the comparative weighting of multiple choice vs. constructed response, and a little sneakiness.

34. Razorback

Razorback Rookie

Feb 22, 2008

No, I was talking about the 160 PPR. I just wanted to have a general idea of what is needed to pass. I know you have to get a 240, but I meant like the score that you get when you take the test.

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 22, 2008

There's a process, Razorback... How many questions are on the test, and how many of them are non-scoring?

36. Razorback

Razorback Rookie

Feb 22, 2008

I understand that. I just haven't seen a lot of posting regarding the PPR, and I just wanted to get a general idea about what the scores have been. For instance, have anyone passed with a 60/80 or 50/80.

Thanks

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 22, 2008

Ah. That's a somewhat different question.

38. conquest3

conquest3 New Member

Mar 2, 2008

Okay, I am new to this forum, I have read this entire thread, because like everyone else I want to know if I passed my test. I got a 77/120. Is it a safe to assume that I passed, based on everyone else's scores?? I just took it today!!

39. cgutierrez

cgutierrez New Member

Mar 10, 2008

Content Exam

What do you recommend for study matierials for the 161 exam? I need help on this?:)

40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 11, 2008

I'm blithely assuming that 161 is a special-education exam. Have you downloaded the free online test guide with the competencies? Go through them and mark which you know and which you don't. Figure out which of the ones you don't know panics you the worst. Then, if you're near a college or university program in special education, go to the bookstore, find the textbooks in special education, and browse them - you're looking for a book that fills your needs and suits your learning style, and it may not be the same book that works for someone else.

Use the Internet, too - chances are pretty good that if you Google "special education laws", you'll come up with lots of hits.