texes special education test (ec-12)

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by houston, Apr 15, 2007.

1. houston

houston Rookie

Apr 15, 2007

I got 65 out of 120 right. did i pass?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 15, 2007

Well, one can hope, but I have to be honest: that's cutting it rather close.

4. janis.longmire

janis.longmire Rookie

Apr 19, 2007

TEXES EC 12

I took this exam today and got 87 out of 120 and am not sure that I passes. Does anyone know?:confused:

5. dchapman

dchapman New Member

May 5, 2007

Passing score

Did you find out if the 87 was a passing score? I just took the test and scored an 87 as well. Any info would be appreciated.

6. janis.longmire

janis.longmire Rookie

May 5, 2007

YES 87 was passing!

I was quite suprised to learn that 87 was a 268 out of 300 which was passing. You probably did too! It was really a pleasant suprise but what a relief.

Best wishes!

jan

7. Duhnae53

Duhnae53 New Member

May 12, 2007

Hey, Did you find out if you passed your test? I took it today and got a 72 out of 120. Let me know.

8. dchapman

dchapman New Member

May 12, 2007

Yes I passed. My 87 translated to a 268 out of 300. I was surprised that my results came back so fast. I took the test on a Saturday (computer test) and by Monday my scores were posted on the TEC website.

9. Skyline1987

Skyline1987 Rookie

May 14, 2007

what did you use to help study? I will be taking soon. Was it the Special Ed Exam? 161?

10. Duhnae53

Duhnae53 New Member

May 14, 2007

I made a 72, and that came out to be a 247. You have to get a 240 for it to be a pass. I barely made it. I just used the study materials from the texes-ets website.

11. buddy3

buddy3 New Member

May 15, 2007

Question about test scoring.

Can anyone tell me how to read your scores.

12. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jun 1, 2007

I am taking the 161 in a bit over a week. No time to order study guides, so i am winging this one. Help!!!! What were your most helpful resources? Also was the content test more classroom based or legal issue based (or is that the PPR?) This is all so fast, and I am broke so I can't afford to keep taking it!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Congrats to all who have passed, please share the wisdom!

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 1, 2007

The TExES materials are pretty impressive, yes. You could use them in conjunction with the Internet: if there are technical terms you don't recall or grasp, try looking them up on Answers.com.

14. janis.longmire

janis.longmire Rookie

Jun 2, 2007

I would have to say you need to know both areas for the content. Know law, vocabulary, and classroom techniques. I ordered a software program from certifyteacher.com and that helped me pass the test the first time. However, it does cost $65 to download but was a really help if you can wing the cost. Good luck!

Jan

15. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jun 2, 2007

Thnak You Janis,
    I too got the download from certifyteacher.com. I have taken the full practice twice, passed both times, and take the quizzes daily to keep fresh. I have also been writing out the flashcards, and sofe of my own from sped books and the competencies.

Congrats on passing, i hope I do too, can't really afford to keep trying!!!
    Heather

16. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jun 2, 2007

STUDY GROUPS?????:confused:

Is there anyone in the Houston area taking the 161 soon who would like to study, or a group that i can meet.

I have some study materials prepared, but sometimes another perspective helps you find your weakness.

I can meet late afternoons through early evening anyday except Tuesday next week. My test is the 11th :eek: so I really want to be ready.

Heather

17. begreat

begreat New Member

Jun 6, 2007

I got a 74 today.. Is that passing..

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 6, 2007

Raw scores like 74 don't necessarily translate into equal scaled scores for different versions of a test. But Duhnae (post #9) reported a 72 that translated into a passing score, so I wouldn't bet against you having passed. It probably makes sense to wait to ice the champagne, however, till the official score report comes in.

19. begreat

begreat New Member

Jun 8, 2007

My nerves are going crazy

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2007

Then please, please find something to distract your brain.

21. begreat

begreat New Member

Jun 8, 2007

I got the email today that said I got a 248

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2007

So are you celebrating yet?

23. tblegs1

tblegs1 New Member

Jun 10, 2007

Did anyone find out if 72 was passing

I just took my test on Friday and I need to know if I should try and register again and take the paper based test on Sat. Is 72 out of 120 passing? I honestly didnt think there was any way it was passing.

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 10, 2007

See my post #17 above.

25. football coach

football coach New Member

Jun 13, 2007

how did you do?

i am wondering how you did? i take the test on satirday and am not a speced person. i am certified in another field and am taking this for a new job... i would love to have some help! please let me know if you met or will be meeting to study... i can be available thursday or friday to study in the houston area... feel free toi message me!

26. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jun 13, 2007

My test was postponed due to the sites technical issues!!!!! I am going to try to reschedule tomorrow for as soon as possible.

You can email me off board maybe we can meet, at the least just IM study as I have 2 children with me.

Heahter

27. janis.longmire

janis.longmire Rookie

Jun 14, 2007

Hi all,

I took both the 161 and 160 in the last couple of months. I used a software program from certifyteacher.com to study and loved it. However, without the software program, I have a couple of testing tips. 1. Make yourself read each question very slowly and pull out words that include: grade level, subject. 2. Read the question thoroughly, before reading the text. (This way you will know what they are looking for) As adults, we have a tendency to read fast an test fast. Yet, for these test we have to force ourselves to read slow and USE TESTING STRAGIES. You can always eliminate two answers right up front. They give you 5 hours to finish and I would recommend that you make yourself spend at least 2.5 - 3.5. If you finish faster you may have missed something.

Lastly, don't get frustrated. I hear repeatedly and recently how overwhelmed people were. Don't let it beat you! (Remember you can miss several and still pass) If you go in with an attitude to win, you will be just fine!

Hope this helps!

Jan

28. begreat

begreat New Member

Jun 19, 2007

I did end up passing. All I can say is take your time reading the questions but dont get caught up on one question if you have a groove going. I just tried to get a good rhythm going and I did pretty decent. It took me about 2 hours to finish. I passed with a 248 and I only took one special ed class in college about 3 years ago. I studied on and off for about a month and went to a 4 hour texesreview study session two days before the test. Another tip is do be prepared for reading questions knowing what phonems and stuff are.

29. janis.longmire

janis.longmire Rookie

Jun 21, 2007

Congrats on passing! What part of Texas are you teaching in? I'm in Houston.

30. blessings

blessings Rookie

Jun 23, 2007

Special Education Test EC-12

I took the test today and boy was I surprised! It was nothing like I expected.

I only earned 80 out of 120 questions correct and cried my whole way home. Then I stumbled across this post and now feel a little hopeful that maybe I passed. I noticed that someone had posted that they received a 72 and passed with a 247.

Does anyone know if 80 was passing?

Thank you in advance for your help!

31. blessings

blessings Rookie

Jun 23, 2007

Did you find out if your score was passing? I scored an 80...and would like to put my nerves at ease!

32. janis.longmire

janis.longmire Rookie

Jun 23, 2007

The points on the test are weighted so I can't guarantee anything. However, I have a friend who just passed and she only got 72 correct. I also know people who got 74and 75 and they all passed! Hope this helps!

Best wishes.

33. blessings

blessings Rookie

Jun 23, 2007

EC-12 Test

Thank you for your Condolences! I hope this means I passed. It at least gives me hope to make it through till my result become available. The waiting is what is so awful.

How long has it been since you took your test? What has been your best experience in the field so far?

34. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 5, 2007

I GOT 97 of 120!!!!

I just got back in town from testing, I took under 2 hrs and scores 97 of 120!! I feel pretty darn confident right now!!!

A gigantic thanx to all the words of wisdom and encouragement over the past few weeks!!!!!

Heather

35. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 5, 2007

Blessings?
    Did you ever get your scores?

36. blessings

blessings Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

Re: Scores

Yes I did receive my scores and my 80 out of 120 questions translated into a score of 257 which was well over the 240 requirement. I do not believe that those people at the testing center should be allowed to tell someone they most likely did not pass because they did not score at least 75%. Thank God they were wrong in my case! However, it sure would have saved me a lot of grief if they would not have estimated my future.
    Maybe my experience will help someone in the future if they come across this post. Fear not if you do not score 75% in the beginning, the questions are on a point structure.

37. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 6, 2007

Good point, I can't beleive they told you that. At my cneter, they just handed me the paper and told me to sign out!! I don't even think they looked at it, or would have known what it meant.

Did you find a job yet, if so congrats, if not good luck!!!

38. blessings

blessings Rookie

Jul 6, 2007

Re: Job

Within five minutes of sending out my resume I received a call and can you come up here...They pretty much offered me the job on the spot. However, I do not graduate until December and the college would not release me from my student teaching. So I guess I'll wait till December and hopefully find a job then. Maybe someone will leave over the holiday.

39. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 6, 2007

Aw man, that's a blow.

but good for the ego too!!!!!

Around here people are always coming and going so if you are in a farily populated are here in Texas you should be OK, especially after student teaching (it's just more experience).

Keep us posted!!!!!!!

40. catluver

catluver Rookie

Jul 9, 2007

TExES scores

Just got back from taking the 161 TExES CAT and got my scores already! I cried all the way home thinking I totally blew it but after reading all ya'lls replies... I got a 66, so it this a passing score? There has to be a better way... Thanks for the help!!:eek:

41. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 9, 2007

Well b/c every ? is wieghted differently I can not say for sure, but I have seen people get 65+ correct and pass. Again not a promise, but don't count yourself out yet!! Good luck!!!

Heather