TeXes Science 4-8 suggestions

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by DallasTeacher, Dec 18, 2009.

1. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Dec 18, 2009

Shock of all shocks but right after the first of the year, I'm taking this test. Our campus is in real difficulties and many are worried we will be low performing due to science scores. Had a strong background in science but that was decades ago - think 1970s - abd haven't used since. I've got the practice tests downloaded and have also downloaded exit taks tests.

What books/quick notes would you suggest I purchase. Thanks.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 18, 2009

Ah! "Had a strong background but that was decades ago" is always good news: old background tends to come back as you study, you know?

You could do worse than to play with some of the resources that are suggested for CSET Science - tests like these may differ in format from one state to another, but aside from the fact that earthquakes will be a bigger deal in California and weather (including hurricanes) a bigger deal in Texas, the remaining concerns should be pretty similar.

Best bet in your case could be the Internet: go through the list of Competencies that you should have downloaded from the TExES Web site along with the practice questions, highlight every term that you don't now know cold, and look each such term up in your favorite search engine or in Answers.com. A couple of recent posts about CSET Science subtests mentioned some pretty useful-sounding Web sites for review, too - I don't recall 'em offhand, but I think one of the posters was MacGuffin.

Oh, and ask questions here. There's nearly always someone around who can either supply an answer or give you a good idea where to look for one.