TEXES LOTE 613 - Spanish

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by bnorthc, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Spain2013

Spain2013 New Member

Aug 6, 2013

Score Verification

Hola everybody!

First off, best of luck to everyone on this exam!

I'm posting to see if anyone has had any luck on a score verification request for this exam?

I just received my scores and scored a 239 :(

1 point away from passing. My dilemma is whether or not to request a score verification (that only verifies the written and speaker portion of this exam) or, to sign up for the next exam that is offered in September.

I've called the ETS customer service line and was told that the exam would be verified by an entirely different department.

So I'm wondering if I could get that 1 extra point to pass this exam through the verification process..... I've read earlier posts from other members who've said they have had scores verified but to no benefit.

What do y'all think?

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 6, 2013

I know of one case in which score verification resulted in a change in score - and that was a case with demonstrable testing irregularities. You're better off putting the time, money, and effort into figuring out what you needed to have done more strongly.

3. Spain2013

Spain2013 New Member

Sep 9, 2013

Received my verification results, and NO result in change of score :(

Scored a 239... and 240 is passing.... Madre mía

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 9, 2013

Hugs, Spain2013, but I'm not surprised.

Does your score report break down the test into domains? I know that many states test (and their score reports break down into) reading, writing, listening, and speaking separately, along with a cultural/historical component.

5. Mexico13

Mexico13 New Member

Oct 13, 2013

Hi, Spain 2013

I am going to take the Lote in november, how many times have taken the exam? May you please let me know something about each section? what is the topic in the essay and the lesson plan?

Thank you so very much, follow to try you can do this

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 13, 2013

Welcome to A to Z, Mexico13.

First things first: we don't share actual specific test questions on A to Z. See the WARNING at the top of each page in the Examinations for Teachers forum, and be aware that it's just as true for ETS (which administers the TExES exams) as it is for Pearson (which bought out NES Inc. and administers teacher tests in a number of states). The test companies do have rules against sharing specific questions, and they can and do monitor sites like this to ensure compliance.

The free online preparation manual for the TExES LOTE Spanish lays out the structure of the test and outlines the competencies (skills and knowledge) that the test covers. The various states' LOTE exams look at language production and comprehension, of course - but they also tend to test one's knowledge of general linguistics, of the linguistics of the target language, and of the history and the cultures associated with the language.

7. pantufla893

pantufla893 New Member

Feb 6, 2014

Testing this weekend!

I am going to be taking the Spanish LOTE 613 for the 3rd time this weekend and have been working hard to get that passing score! Wish me luck!

My area of struggle is the lesson plan and opinion/position essay portion! The portion of the test that I have the most trouble with is in all in English! Imagine that...

I guess I'm leaving out some major parts or not using the correct terms for my lesson plan. Or maybe I'm being too detailed? The time thing freaks me out. I usually don't have enough time to be specific... or do I not have to be? Any suggestions as to where I need to focus my time when writing this lesson plan? I've failed the test by 4-10 points each time, with the majority of my points being lost in this section.

Also, does structure matter? Do I have to include the portion of the lesson plan that is given to me or do I just finish out what they left blank?

Subject: Blah blah blah
    Grade Level: Blah blah blah
    Vocabulary:
    Materials:
    Assessment:

I may be overthinking this portion but I can't seem to get this part down. Please help! What am I doing wrong?! Is there something specific that they are looking for?! Any advice would help.:help: Thanks.

8. JessicaDyne

JessicaDyne New Member

Feb 13, 2014

I plan on taking the Spanish LOTE after I graduate in May this year. I'm kind of (aka REALLY) glad I found this thread!

I do have one question, and it's sort of random and/or odd; I know that there is a word minimum for the essay and the response. Is there a word-counter? Or do you just guess how many words you've written?

9. clarissag

clarissag New Member

Feb 25, 2014

Hi! I'm new on this site. I tool\ke the LOTE last Dec. but I didn't pass. I'd like to talk with someone who took it recently just to share some tips. My problem was the lesson plan. I'll retake my test at the end of March.
    Thanks

10. clarissag

clarissag New Member

Feb 25, 2014

Help with the lesson plan

Hi, can we talk about the test? I had problem on the lesson plan too. I'll take the test again at the end of March.
    I need help!!!:(

11. lizcc1987

lizcc1987 New Member

Apr 21, 2014

I am also having trouble with lesson plan/ pedagogy part! I've gotten 31/40 every time I've taken it (3x).. any advice?

12. SFAbrownie

SFAbrownie Rookie

Apr 22, 2014

There's hope!

I took the LOTE this past March for the first time and passed with flying colors. The A/C was broken when I took it so it was so hot in there. I talked to their administration and they apologized and offered to refund my money but score report would have been voided. Since I had a couple of offers with different school districts I proceeded to have my score reported instead. I will have to say that I thought I was going to fail miserably but I didn't. I did not study for the test and the flashcards I looked over before going in had nothing to do with what was on the actual test.

My best advice for those struggling or taking the the test soon is to be familiar with all the instructions. They can be very confusing. The cultural section is common knowledge if you have taken any Spanish culture/art/latinamerican studies classes. On the lesson plan I made a 5 out of 6. I was very brief but focused on the main themes of review/content/assessment. Don't waste time overthinking. They need to make sure you will be a good teacher not a perfect one.

Prepare for the pedagogy section. Make sure you go over the ACTFUL guidelines thoroughly and are ready to teach at various grade levels. They are very specific when it comes to this so please go over it. If you are a native speaker like me, you'll find the listening part to be a breeze as the recordings are very clear. The writing section is not bad at all. Make sure you support your opinions just like in English class. Oh, don't forget your accents. I thought I did horribly on the speaking section since I was so nervous but I ended up doing great. I think that more than the subject, they are looking to see if you can communicate clearly.

I took the TOPT a few years ago and I have to say that the LOTE is nothing like it. Be ready and stay calm and you will be just fine. I hate the wait time though. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Holly Guerrero likes this.
  13. mercedes

mercedes New Member

May 27, 2014

Hi,
    you might want to take a look at this book "Desarrollo del espanol para maestros en programas de educacion bilingue." by lidia Morris and Luis A. Rosado. This is BTLPT. Is part of the tests for the Bilingual Certification. LOTE 613 looks very similar to this test. It includes writing an email, lesson plan. Discussing your points of view etc. I am planinning to take LOTE 613 and I am looking at the preparation material and it looks very similar.

14. TXTeacher2day

TXTeacher2day New Member

May 31, 2014

I took the LOTE in 2012 and passed it. For the pedagogy, you really need to study second language acquisition theories and models. If you are struggling with reading or listening comprehension, speaking, or writing, I recommend the Barron's AP guide. I can give you tips for the pedagogy part if you contact me.

Holly Guerrero likes this.
  15. Mexico13

Mexico13 New Member

Jul 17, 2014

Dear TXTeacher2day,
    I took this test three times if I can't passed. May you please let me know your tips for the pedagogy part, trust me is very difficult for my. Let me asking you, what web sites or what kind of material you used for the 5 C' s. I read a lot but I don't have nothing specific .

Thank you so much you help is greatly appreciated

Mexico13

16. JessicaDyne

JessicaDyne New Member

Jul 17, 2014

I took the exam a week ago yesterday. I still haven't received my scores. I studied the ACTFL teaching guidelines, which you'll need to know, and know some of the major artists that impacted Hispanic countries, and significant historical events in Hispanic countries. I hope that helps!! Oh, and try to never leave any questions unanswered!!

17. James LOTE 613

James LOTE 613 New Member

Nov 8, 2014

Spanish LOTE 613

I have taken the test 3 times. I have not passed. I hired a tutor to help me study the last 2 times that I took it. My Superntendent is becoming impatient. I moved from Maryland 1 year ago and received a 1 year temporary Spanish certification from TEA. It has expired. I am scared that I may loose my job. Please somebody help!:dizzy:

18. James LOTE 613

Nov 22, 2014

Would you please send to me the contact info for this tutor or send to me info where I can get good tutoring for the Spanish LOTE 613?

19. James LOTE 613

Nov 22, 2014

I am looking for tutoring. I really need help. If anyone knows of a good tutor please let me know.

20. tica2014

tica2014 New Member

Jan 3, 2015

I'd like some help. I failed by 6 points, and take the test again in about 3 weeks. I will be moved to teaching a different subject or even lose my job entirely (and charged a huge fee from my ACP) if I can't pass this test by the end of the school year. I only got 29 of 40 points in the pedagogy section. Everything else seems okay.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 3, 2015

Hugs, tica2014.

If I recall correctly, Texas has a separate professional-practices test, or to be precise two or three of them that cover different age ranges. Have you passed the appropriate one of those?

22. tica2014

tica2014 New Member

Jan 10, 2015

Thank you for your response! Although what I meant was is that I only received 29 of 40 points in the instructional practices/pedagogy portion of the LOTE test. I am not taking the PPR test until after I've passed this LOTE. I am taking my LOTE in 3 weeks. I think if I had gotten closer to the full 40 points, I would have passed the first time. I only missed it by 6 points overall the first time (score of 234, passing is 240) So I am really trying to pass it this time.

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 10, 2015

29/40 is almost 3/4 of available points: not shabby, but you're right that there's room for improvement. You might find, however, that getting a bit of a start on your PPR prep might help you here.

Professional-practice and pedagogy questions are similar in that they tend to turn on differences in needs and/or differences in age groups.

Unless the question stem says otherwise, assume a perfect classroom, no shortage of resources, and a reasonably homogeneous group of students. Any answer that disparages students is wrong.

24. Doña Samantha

Doña Samantha New Member

Jun 10, 2015

I would like some tips on the pedagogy part of the LOTE test.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 10, 2015

Welcome to A to Z, Doña Samantha. Have you taken any coursework in the pedagogy of Spanish?

26. Angelica

Angelica Guest

Feb 5, 2016

Hey I know this is old but I sure hope that you respond. I failed my lote exam by 4 points the first time, now I am taking it again march 9th and would like some advice on what you did for the pedagogy portion?
    I don't nee tips on the Spanish language part either, just the pedagogy. I have to pass if I want a job next school year. Thank you so much!

27. Annita305

Annita305 Guest

Apr 20, 2016

Hi Angelica,
    Wondering how you did on your test? I'm preparing for mine on May 5th.. Any tips?

jazzpianist18 likes this.
  28. Doña Samantha

Doña Samantha New Member

Apr 21, 2016

I have not taken any coursework in Spanish pedagogy. I have not idea where to find this. I have been searching online trying to find what I can to help pass this test. I have one chance to pass this test. I am going to buy the Barron's AP Spanish book and flash cards. Not sure what to do about the instruction and assessment part of this test. It is the only part I am really struggling with. (Domain I)

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 21, 2016

Hugs, Doña Samantha. Let me recommend that you look up the Texas content standards for LOTE. This page might have some helpful links: http://tea.texas.gov/Curriculum_and...er_Than_English/Languages_Other_Than_English/. In addition, rummage around the Internet to find the state and local organizations for teachers of Spanish - if you don't find any, look for the state and local organizations for teachers of LOTE - because the Web sites will probably have further useful resources.

30. Doña Samantha

Doña Samantha New Member

Apr 22, 2016

Thank you so much. I will look and see what else I can find. I am just thankful for this much information.

31. jazzpianist18

jazzpianist18 New Member

May 6, 2016

I just took my Spanish Texes Lote 613 yesterday. I'm nervous... The pedagogy part was really hard. I've already passed the PPR exam and I jut need the LOTE to be certified.

How long does it take to get the score back? Anyone else here also take it yesterday may 5?

32. Ridehome

Ridehome Guest

May 9, 2016

Hi jazzpianist18, I also took the Spanish Lote 613 yesterday. I was told that it would take 10 days before the scores would be up. I just don't know how I did. I thought that the test was hard. I didn't manage my time well on one of the responses and ran out of time on it. I think that I answered about three fourths of the question. I wonder how much they will take off for that. Reading this thread has made me even more nervous about passing.

33. SLH053

SLH053 New Member

Jul 20, 2016

I'm not sure if you still need this info, but for pedagogy I would study Cummins Theory and Stages of Second language acquisition! these were big topics in my Spanish pedagogy classes.

34. oumy

oumy Guest

Oct 22, 2016

Hello,

I did not take the LOTE in spanish but the LOTE in french. I am French native and I first failed and got 237 out of 240. I passed it yesterday finally with a 244.
    Reason why I failed the first time was the pedagogy, I got 18/40 the fIrst tine. So what really helped me out is the PRAXIS free online taining PDF . Why ? They have the correction for instructional practice. I combined that with the LOTE in french test PDF training from ects and I finally got a 25/40. It is not brilliant but it helped me passed regarding that my speaking, writing and listening were almost perfect due to the fact that I'm French.
    My major is not French but Business.

Hope this helps,
    Oumy

35. Holly Guerrero

Holly Guerrero New Member

May 8, 2017

Thanks for that! I am currently looking at how to best prepare for the pedagogy part of the Spanish LOTE. Hopefully that will help me!

36. Holly Guerrero

May 8, 2017

Would you still recommend this book? I realize you originally posted this 4 years ago... If there is another book that is more relevant now, can you suggest it?

37. Holly Guerrero

May 8, 2017

Will they have a special keyboard for inputting the accents? Or should I be prepared with the appropriate alt codes memorized to be able to put them in?

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 11, 2017

I would expect it still to be helpful.

If you're within striking distance of a university that teaches the relevant courses, you could also visit the university bookstore to examine books required for that course and see if they'll meet your needs.

39. Mariam Soler

Mariam Soler Rookie

May 22, 2017

Hey Holly Guerrero,
    I will be taking the Spanish Lote this week, just wanted to know if you already take it? How did it go?
    I took it already and I did not pass it because of the lesson plan and essay but I have been practicing and working really hard. I hope I pass it this time.

40. Mariam Soler

Mariam Soler Rookie

May 22, 2017

Hey Holly Guerrero,
    I will be taking the Spanish Lote this week, just wanted to know if you already take it? How did it go?
    I took it already and I did not pass it because of the lesson plan and essay but I have been practicing and working really hard. I hope I pass it this time.