TEXES LOTE 613 - Spanish

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by bnorthc, Jun 5, 2012.

1. bnorthc

bnorthc New Member

Jun 5, 2012

Hello all! New to the forum and wondering if there are other LOTE Spanish test takers out there. I am struggling! Please offer your tips/advice for this poor test taker!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 5, 2012

Welcome to A to Z, bnorthc! What has you most concerned with this test?

4. bnorthc

bnorthc New Member

Jun 5, 2012

My biggest concern is that I have not passed the test! I have studied the free manual extensively and purchased some practice tests from texesspanish.com, and I am still achieving very low scores. I am wondering what has worked for people in the past and if there are any hints as to what I should be studying.

Thanks for your concern.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 5, 2012

I believe TExES LOTE score reports break the results down by domain; this can give some sense of where you need to focus. What are you seeing on your score report?

6. felicity5

felicity5 Rookie

Jun 14, 2012

I am having trouble too. I took it a month ago and did not pass. I am freaking out and so stressed. With the no retake for 60 days rule I will only have one chance to take it again before I will lose my teaching position due to not being certified. I already passed my PPR and my Special Education test with flying colors. This is so frustrating. Also, I passed all of these tests including the Spanish back in NY and have certification in NY. This test was nothing like the prep book I bought from XAMonline- That book cost $65 and was totally not aligned with the test. Has anyone else taken this that can offer any advice? I also was not expecting to be timed per question. The time limits are pretty strict. Plus, you don't get to use any of your leftover time from easy parts for the harder parts. You can't go back to review either. I felt like it was a race. I'm really down about this.

7. felicity5

felicity5 Rookie

Jun 14, 2012

I also bought practice tests from texasspanish and would pass everytime. But the test is not really the same and you have the time limit stressing you out. :(

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 14, 2012

felicity5, hugs.

What parts of the test do you find easy?

9. bnorthc

bnorthc New Member

Jul 2, 2012

Sorry y'all, been busy. First off, Teacher Groupie I want to thank you for all of your great advice and input, not just on my issues but on everyone's!

Secondly, you had asked me about the specific competencies I needed to work on (according to my score sheet). One of the most frustrating things about this test is the lack of feedback. ETS simply reports the score for each domain. So, according to ETS, I need to work on my domain I (pedagogy) because my score was 28 out of 40.

I have also recently taken (and passed with flying colors) the ELAR 8-12 exam; this one gives SPECIFIC feedback on page 2 that I need to address.

The ridiculous thing about the LOTE Spanish test is that the last two exams I took were exactly the same, but with no feedback I have no idea what to focus my study on!

It sounds like I am not the only person struggling to pass this. Is there anyone who did pass it and would like to share some tips? Or have enough people failed it that we need to complain to TEA?

BTW, I even requested a score verification on my most recent failure (which is supposed to be re-graded by the best they've got) and it resulted in no score change.

Help!

10. felicity5

felicity5 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012

Texes LOTE Spanish 613 Texas

I requested score verification too but have not received any information. How long did it take them to get back to you?

I am taking the test again in about a week. I don't think much will have changed by then but I don't really have a choice as it is the last one before school starts. Good luck to you! :dizzy:

11. bnorthc

bnorthc New Member

Jul 3, 2012

Felicity5 it took 5 weeks to get my verification back. I hope they have good news for you.

I take the test again on the 9th. FWIW, I have been focusing on the pedagogy part of the test, simply because foreign language is different than standard practices. I recommend knowing the ACTFL guidelines backward and forward.

I just figure if I can ace the English stuff and do okay on the Spanish I might have a fighting chance of passing!

Good luck to you too!

12. felicity5

felicity5 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012

Good news!

I passed the 2nd time! Guess it wasn't as impossible as a I thought. Good luck to all. Thanks for chatting. :D

13. Jeanah98

Jeanah98 New Member

Aug 9, 2012

Failed by 5 points:-(

I just took the Spanish LOTE 613 a month ago and got my results back recently. I failed by 5 points. Granted, I did not study at all the Pedagogy part because of an international move that I was in the middle of, but I would like to take it again. I do not need any tips on the Spanish language part because I more or less breezed through that although you have to be really on top of everything with the timing.

Does anyone have any tips about improving the score on the Pedagogy part like preparing a class, etc. I have already understood that it would be good to look over the ACTFL requirements. Any other suggestions??

Thanks!!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 9, 2012

If Texas has something like California's English-language development standards that sketch out the stages through which English learners pass and how to get them there, that might be a good place to start.

15. nosepasar1216

nosepasar1216 Rookie

Nov 11, 2012

Ahhhh what to do!? I've taken mine 4 times...I fail the pedagogy and some Spanish b231 is the highest. :(

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 11, 2012

nosepasar1216, hugs. Have you taken any coursework in teaching language?

17. nosepasar1216

nosepasar1216 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012

well thank you for the hugs...i didnt think this A to Z stuff even existed or that anyone replied back to the comments. Thanks for replying. Answer to your question I did pay a lady around $1100+ for about 2 1/2 months and saw an increase of about 30 points, but it hasent been enough :-( I was just searching the web for tips and tricks to passing this exam. I will get let go and the end of this school year if i cannot pass. I know have exactly 3 more exams to try to pass my next one is DEC 08

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 12, 2012

You're welcome, nosepasar - though I may lean on you to change your username: my Spanish is not very good, but that sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

So have you had any coursework in teaching language? I'm not trying to challenge you: I'm trying to figure out what to suggest.

19. nosepasar1216

nosepasar1216 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012

sorry it has been a joke since i cant even pass. i didnt think anyone on hear would help. if you mean if i teach classes in espanish yes i do. i have had some trainng with a lady and she gave me classwork and i always seemed like i didnt on the day it was due.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 12, 2012

Okay, so you haven't had formal coursework in something like a teacher education program on foreign language pedagogy?

21. nosepasar1216

nosepasar1216 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012

no

i guess not...i mostly fail for the most part the PPR aspect of the exam.

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 12, 2012

How have you been studying? What materials are you using, and what are you doing with them?

23. nosepasar1216

nosepasar1216 Rookie

Nov 13, 2012

thats the point i dont know what to study anymore...im just lost i need a new beginning.

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 13, 2012

25. nosepasar1216

nosepasar1216 Rookie

Nov 17, 2012

:0

thanks but it looks like the webpage is no longer available. I have kinda studied the TEKS but it is a lot and i dont think much of the test is TEKS....any other useful link just pass them my way.
    Thanks!
    p.s. sorry i hand check back i was busy with school and lesson planning

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 17, 2012

Um. I found that page while researching stuff for you: try it again.

The point is that teacher materials for these tests tend to use terminology for which you're responsible - and, aside from state-specific programs, the terminology should show broad commonalities from state to state.

27. Teacher100

Teacher100 New Member

Nov 28, 2012

Help Please!!

Hello
    On December 7th is the first time I will take the lote 613 and I am very vervous to fail it. I bought the practice test from texespanish and I am studying those. Do you think those test are not going to help me for the test?
    Any tips for the test. Please I really need to pass it in the first time

28. margarita

margarita New Member

Jan 20, 2013

Felocity5, Congrats! What did you study? Was there a particular book or online source for Pedagogy that was helpful?

I've taken it 4 times now and am very frustrated.

thanks,
    margarita

29. margarita

margarita New Member

Jan 20, 2013

Teachergroupie

I am also having problems with the pedagogy and have not had a class or formal training. Is their a book or course you could recommend?

Thank you!!!

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 20, 2013

See if you can find a recent edition - 3d ed or later - of Diaz-Rico & Weed's Cultural, Language, and Academic Diversity Handbook. It's pretty thorough, especially if you use the Internet to look up more examples/explanations of specific terms.

31. spanish

spanish New Member

Jun 28, 2013

I have also failed the test several times and equally frustrated. I also bought the book recommended and studied. The most frustrating part of taking the test and failing is the feedback is poor on what one is not passing. So this, in turn, makes it very difficult to study for. My college degree is in Spanish, but I cannot seem to pass this test!
    Sincerely,
    Frustrated Teacher
    who will soon become unemployed if unable to pass LOTE

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 28, 2013

Hugs, spanish. What sort of feedback are you getting?

33. spanish

spanish New Member

Jul 3, 2013

Just the basic scores. There will be times that I will score high on one part of the test then the next time I will score low. It does not make sense to me. Then there is the culture and the paintings. I don't know if I had the correct answer and by the time I am able to get to a computer; I have forgotten the information and unable to study that particular topic. I wish there was a way of knowing what I have done incorrectly, especially in the writing. I will score 3/4 on the memo, but then 0 on the essay? Very frustrating :help:

34. felicity5

felicity5 Rookie

Jul 10, 2013

I think the 2nd time I took it was better for a few reasons. I brushed up on grammar points, ACTFL standards, and there were actually a lot ESL questions/Texas based questions that I was not expecting the first time. Going in the 2nd time, I was a lot more comfortable and familiar with the process. The first time I misunderstood the on screen directions and ran out of time for one of the sections. I actually did not get to write an entire essay portion of the test and the window closed due the time minimum. Also, the first place I took the test was a horrible environment. I actually got refunded after complaining. So make sure you are comfortable with the setting. The testing center I prefer is Business Communication Solutions - North Austin on Dessau Ridge Lane. Easy parking, more quiet and organized. Now I am it again in ANOTHER state trying to get my 3rd state certification...oh boy! Good luck to all!

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2013

You've said your degree's in Spanish, and I'm assuming some of the cultural content would have been in your coursework. I wonder if you might be overthinking the questions a little. Try thinking about how you'd walk someone else through the question.

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2013

I'm looking forward to your take on Georgia's version of this test, felicity.

37. Jeanah98

Jeanah98 New Member

Aug 1, 2013

Taken the Spanish Lote 613 Twice and failed it.

I am proficient in the Spanish language in writing and speaking and I have failed this exam twice. A classmate from my alternative certification program is a Spanish native speaker with a Master´s degree in Education and she has failed this exam. 34% of this exam has nothing to do with ¨Spanish content¨and honestly nobody else has given me any really good insight. I don´t know what to say or do...take the exam a third time, or try and fight City Hall????

38. Jeanah98

Jeanah98 New Member

Aug 1, 2013

By the way, I scored 235 the first time and 236 the second time on the Spanish Lote 613. The second exam was EXACTLY the same as the first one, except I do believe they took away a short essay part in the English language......

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 1, 2013

Hugs, Jeanah98. Do your score reports give indication of domains in which you're having trouble?

40. toddandleah

toddandleah New Member

Aug 5, 2013

Hi All,

I have to take the LOTE 613 in September. I've been out of teaching for nearly 15 years, living/working in Mexico. I'm nervous about the test, especially the pedagogy side of things. I'd like to list what all I'm using for prep tools and see if anyone might add anything useful. I'd be much obliged:

1. With regards to Spanish, I'm working through activities in the latest Barron's AP Spanish book/flashcards.

2. With regards to Culture, I'm less prepared (my BA in English, '97). So I'm working through Quizlet flashcards on Spanish/Latin American history, geography, flags, currencies, artists, writers, etc. Not sure what else to do to cram for this portion.

3. As regards Teaching Theory/Assessment/Instruction, I'm reading/re-reading/watching everything I can from here:

sedl dot org site

Basically this goes through all the TEKS for LOTE theories, practices, etc.

I'm also working through all the TExES/ETS materials they provide for preparation (which aren't much!).

I was wondering if I might not benefit from looking around at other/related (bilingual, for example) exams preparations out there to get myself ready for the pedagogy portion.

What else would you all suggest? Thanks for any input!

Todd Robinson
    Leon, Guanajuato, Mexico

41. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 5, 2013

For the language, AP Spanish should be helpful. You might also snoop around the Web for discussions of Spanish vs. English contrastive grammar and major faux amis (Spanish embarazado does NOT mean 'embarrassed'!) and perhaps for lesson plans for middle-school/high-school Spanish classes.

Having lived abroad should help with the cultural content. Have some idea what the varieties of Spanish are, where they're found, and what characterizes them.

The SEDL site is a highly recommendable resource for literacy; if it's added material on pedagogy in other languages - this will overlap with the concerns of the ESL teacher - that would be grand.

Materials that are packaged for other states' LOTE and ESL exams are quite likely to be useful, yes: the key theories of first and second language acquisition simply don't differ that much from state to state, and it's good mental exercise to figure out how a given state's program acronyms translate into Texican.