Texes Gen 4-8 MATH Section, How hard?

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Teach1621, May 4, 2010.

1. Teach1621

Teach1621 Rookie

May 4, 2010

Hello All,

I am new to the A to Z Teacher forums and have been reading some of the other posts regarding the Texes 4-8 exam, which I will be taking Thursday. I took the practice exam from the testing website and while the ELA, Sci,SS were not too bad the MATH was horrendous. I've asked I do not know how many people for help, but most have no idea how to figure out the problems. I was wondering if the actual math on the test was THAT hard? I did study last years 9th/10th grade math Taks tests, and they were not really all that hard. If it is indeed as hard as the practice exam, I feel doomed. Any input would be greatly appreciated, and it is very encouraging to hear about so many of you passing!

3. texjess2010

texjess2010 Companion

May 4, 2010

Good luck to you!!! I will precede this by saying math is NOT my strong suit! I did pass the math part ok last month. Focus on probabilty and geometry is my advice. That's what's mainly in the guide and the test (though I think each test taker's is random) seems to follow the same format. I did not think it was easy by any means but if you can work the problems in the state guide you will be ok. I posted on here a couple of months back with some specific guide questions. If you have questions I can show you how I worked some and there are fantastic math teachers on here who helped me sooooo much! Just ask away! You will do fine!

4. Teach1621

Teach1621 Rookie

May 4, 2010

Thanks so much for the reply! When you say "state guide" are you talking about the Practice Test/manual on the ETS website? I am just so shocked how little I know in the math on the practice test, but was glad to know I knew a lot on the old Taks I got from the TEA website, and was told to use them as well, so now I am not so sure I have used my time wisely. I am gonna go back and look at some of your old posts to see if I have any of the same questions, as they maybe answered already. Thanks!

5. texjess2010

texjess2010 Companion

May 4, 2010

Yes, the test from the TexEs site ---

http://www.texes.ets.org/prepMaterials/

I also used old TAKS tests. http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index3.aspx?id=3839&menu_id=793

Some people buy those study guides things but you are short on time. I didn't want to spend the money and did fine. Its just repetition. I'd work the old questions and the ones in the guide and google the answers you dont understand. If you are using the state guide and have a question, you can message me and I can let you know how I got the answer.

6. Teach1621

Teach1621 Rookie

May 10, 2010

I found out this morning I passed! WOO HOO! Thanks for the tips Texjess! The math was not nearly as hard as I thought it would be, and you were right about geometry and probability. Thanks again!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 10, 2010

Congratulations, Teach1621!

I can't vouch for Texas specifically, but it's often the case that the rumors swirling around the teacher tests are worse than the tests themselves.

8. texjess2010

texjess2010 Companion

May 10, 2010

congrats teach1621!! i knew you'd do fine!!