TExES ESL Supplemental?

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by Teachling, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Mar 31, 2008

Is this the one you take if you already took the 101? Also, I have been scanning the threads trying to find info concerning study guides & haven't found much. May be there's an easier search feature that I"m not aware of that is helpful. Just wondering if anyone who has taken this exam has recommendations regarding study guides.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 31, 2008

I think you'll find more answers here in the Other Tests subforum.

4. momx3

momx3 Rookie

Apr 1, 2008

lots of sources-

I am taking this test (Texes 154) on Friday. I have found a few sources that I am using to study.

One is by Dr. Kortz- if you google him, his web site should come up. He has a few seminars but also a study guide on passthetexes.com web site $29. He is a prof at U of H and a admin in a ACP. He seems legit.

I am also taking the only line class with Region 4. Region 4 also has a study guide $40.00, I have not seen this one but I have seen a friends PPR and it was impressive.

If you have time (and money) Texas A&M offers a 7 week class (completely online)- It seems very comprehensive does not start again until June - http://ldn.tamu.edu/Online/ESL.htm It is a bit pricey.

There is a new book TEXES content and ESL by Nath and Ramsey of U of H: Preparing to teach Texas content areas : the TExES EC-4 generalist and the ESL supplement / edited by Janice L. Nath, John M. Ramsey. I checked this out at the library. If you are not familiar with the the writing of Nath and Ramsey- They are very complete and impressive. They are listed in the resource section of the PPR and GEN EC-4 SBEC study guides/prep manual

certify teacher has a study program- 65.00. I used the program for the Gen EC-4. If offers reasonable scenarios in test and online flashcards to study. You can take the test many times and some of the questions will change each time, but many will be ones you will have already seen in previous testing. So if you tend to remember test questions easily- this may be a one or two test study method for you and a bit pricey for that.

I found several items on Amazon last night :The Cross-Cultural Language and Academic Development Handbook: A Complete K-12 Reference Guide (3rd Edition) (Paperback)
    by Lynne T. Diaz-Rico (Author), Kathryn Z. Weed (Author) recommended by TeacherGroupie
    But did not have time to purchase and receive before the test date.

I will let you know next week how I did and more important to you- my thoughts on the test. I have been planning to take this test by May- but found out yesterday at school that I need to have it taken and scores back by 4/28. So I have one week. Lots of prayer.

This was probably way more information than you wanted but I asked a similar question about a week ago and did not receive very many replies. I wanted to be able to pass along what information I have put together. :)

mi

5. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 2, 2008

I appreciate that. Thank you much for the info, MOMX3.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 2, 2008

You might want to look at the threads on CTEL, which is California's test for teaching speakers of other languages.

7. momx3

momx3 Rookie

Apr 7, 2008

Well, I took the test today. I scored 53/60 scored.
    After only 5 days of studying ( I teach 3rd grade, have 3 children and a husband- so I am guessing I really only studied about 10 hours in all)
    I would recommend:
    The Region 4 online course
    And the text by Nath and Cohen- the newest edition has a very complete chapter on ESL 154.
    In addition:
    There were things I did not think about studying like- how speech sounds are made with in the mouth. For example the names of the places the tongue touches when speaking. Also speech related to speech sounds fricative, voiced and voiceless, liquid, sibilants- these are few terms I looked up today after the test when trying to do a bit of research on speech.

Test follows the same format as all other TExES test. It took me about 1 hour and 15 minutes to take the test.

Good luck to those of you who are taking it soon.

BYW- I have several study guides I would be willing to loan in the Katy/Houston area.

Mi:)

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 7, 2008

A little articulatory phonetics, there: place, manner and voicing.

9. sonnie777

sonnie777 New Member

Sep 20, 2008

momx3
    I live in the Katy area. Can I borrow your books? I am a SAHM getting ready to take the ESL 154 supplement and can use any help. Please let me know.

10. MTW

MTW New Member

Jul 24, 2009

bORROWING YOUR esl books

I am planning to take ESL SUPPLIMENTAL exam in few weeks. Would you be able to loan your books to me? That will be a great help.

11. Red23

Red23 New Member

Jul 24, 2009

I've been trying to get as much info as I could as to taking the ESL Supplemental test. I'll be taking it end of August. I just wanted to say that MOMX3 and TEACHERGROUPIE, you gals have been a big help in just reading your posts. I'm on a few different forums here and TeacherGroupie always has some great advice, thanx to you all and congrats to those who have taken and passed the test. Pray for the rest of us who will be soon!

12. shortcake

shortcake New Member

Jul 28, 2011

Was wondering if you still had your resources available. I know it is a while ago.. but I have failed my ESL test by 2 points and am looking to study some things that actually work. Please let me know :)

13. LifetimeLearner

LifetimeLearner Rookie

May 2, 2013

Has anyone taken this test recently (or are you preparing to)? It is now going to be required by Dec 2013, so I plan to take it over the Summer in preparation for assuming a teaching role (hopefully) by Fall '13.

I am using certify teacher as I used it for Generalist 4-8 and EC-6 (passing both on the first try).

Do you have any other resources you would highly recommend?

Thanks!

14. LifetimeLearner

LifetimeLearner Rookie

Jun 4, 2013

I took the ESL Supplemental on June 1st; I felt completely unprepared as 'life' had gotten in the way and I hadn't studied very much at all...but I reviewed the certifyteacher (dotcom) site for ESL Supplemental the night and morning before the test and went ahead and took it.

And...

I PASSED!! By a good margin, too!!

It really helped to just keep saying to myself "ideal classroom scenario" and "the most teacher work; the most student involvement" to help myself answer the questions. Woohoo!!!
    So now I hold certs in:

Generalist EC-6, 4-8 and ESL Supplemental. Yahoo!

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 4, 2013

Congratulations, LifetimeLearner!

16. williams9149

williams9149 New Member

Jul 10, 2013

I was wondering how the certify teacher for the ESL Supplemental is? Have you taken the test yet, if so, are questions similar in format? Please email me at mwilliams9149@gmail.com. I am taking the test July 26 2013. I have lots of study material from taking the ESL Supplemental course, but I took the course last summer and did not take the test when I finished it, I focused on taking other certification test instead.

17. LifetimeLearner

LifetimeLearner Rookie

Jul 10, 2013

Yes, the questions are formatted similarly. The certifyteacher program is the only one I've used and I've passed: EC-6, 4-8 and ESL Supplemental on the first try. It helped me to just keep telling myself "ideal classroom scenario" to answer the questions. I passed by a large margin.