TExES ESL Supplemental #154

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by classemom, Apr 15, 2007.

1. samsamsmama

samsamsmama New Member

Jul 10, 2009

Great idea Talare! You are the expert since you've already taken the test and passed! I am starting my day learing everything online about LPAC! I googled it and wow came up with a lot of great info! And the state policies too! I am from NY and our policies are different so just checking online really helped! Not so worried about looking for the perfect study guide anymore!!!! And Purple, I'd join a study group! I live rin Katy and I'll be taking the computer form test on the 2nd of August! Let me know!

2. hdubtx

hdubtx New Member

Jul 17, 2009

I took the test a few weeks ago -- June 27. Before taking the test, I had this HUGE idea that I was going to spend the entire summer studying for it (just the EC-4 portion). When it came down to it, I did try and do ALL of the reading from a textbook that I used during my student teaching (which I HIGHLY recommend - get rid of the study guides from Barnes & Noble). Well, that didn't work either...and when it came time for the test - it was okay. I was so glad that I didn't spend so much time "overdoing it."

I did TONS of sample question from this textbook (Preparing to Teach Texas Content Areas, Nath & Ramsey). The test is broken up, as it says, 40% LA, 15% everything else. Be sure to use your strategies that you should know that go along with this test - this is the only way you will survive. Know what is "fluff" in the question and what the question is really asking.

Best advice - take your time! Some were done in an hour. That is less that a minute a question. Ouch. And the worst part is the waiting!!! But I am a paper-pencil kind of girl and there's no way I could've done computer, so for three more days I will play the waiting game. Lol, so maybe I'll come back on Monday and "readvise." ;)

Happy studying.

3. hdubtx

hdubtx New Member

Jul 17, 2009

Preparing to Teach Texas Content Areas, Nath & Ramsey. There is a section in the back referring to ESL. Amazing. Sample questions and everything. Used this book for my college textbook and to study for the Gen portion...everyone around here swears by it.

4. Red23

Red23 New Member

Jul 22, 2009

Hello everyone, I just joined today. I will be taking the ESL Supplemental 154 exam on August 29th. I have been using the study guide from the TExES site. The last pages of that study guide gives references of books, journals, and website that were used in compiling the info for that prep manual. I have looked on the websites listed on the reference pages, which gave me a great deal of information. Does anyone have any other recommendations or study tips?

5. bdsweetie

bdsweetie Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

I passed my test! It wasn't to bad. Only took me an hour to complete.

6. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 22, 2009

CONGRATS!!

7. Purple

Purple New Member

Jul 23, 2009

CONGRATS!!!! What advice could you give the rest of us? Since I'm a paper/pencil person, I'm not taking mine until August 29.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2009

Well done, bdsweetie!

9. wannateachintx

wannateachintx Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

just took the esl supplemental computer-based version and it was really difficult. I used the official prep materials from the website, browsed other websites, and used certifyteacher's/guide and download. I found it extremely difficult. I found a few questions really tough because of the choices. I felt prepared but there was quite a bit that wasn't even mentioned in the texes official download.

10. wannateachintx

wannateachintx Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

Is the score report on the texes website official? I know they don't give an unofficial score report after the test finishes but was wondering if the score/status that appears on www.texes.ets.org is official or unofficial?

11. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

I'm pretty sure the one on the Texes site is official. When I took the ESL I got my scores the next day. My SIL took the test the day after me and had to wait 2 days. They do send an e-mail to let you know when it's up.
    Good luck!!

12. wannateachintx

wannateachintx Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

I got the email and it shows that I passed with a 250, even though I only got 65% correct. I don't understand this. It was in my opinion, the hardest test I have taken so far.

13. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

Woohoo! You passed. The test is scored on a "scaled" system, some questions count more than others. You did great--celebrate and be glad you're done with it! I know it was a tough test.

14. iwanabeacownslr

iwanabeacownslr New Member

Aug 11, 2009

Why does it have to be so hard???

I just took #154 this past Saturday and I thought it was rediculous. If they're even going to give you a prep manual, it should have some kind of disclaimer that says, "This is NOT even 50% of what you need to be reading right now!" I'm pretty sure I passed though, but man, it seems like they're trying to see how difficult they can make it for normal people who want to be educators to succeed. You know what else? About an hour and a half into my test, I'm sitting there totally concentrating, and the lady pulls me into the hallway to make sure that my little foam earplugs aren't some kind of mechanical device I'm using to aid me in taking my test. REALLY? When did we stop being professionals just trying to get certified, and start being sneaky criminals who might have answers floating around in our water bottles or perhaps stenciled on a gum wrapper? I'm done being bitter.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 11, 2009

Answers on water bottles and gum wrappers? Crib notes written on the underside of baseball-cap bills? Better believe it.

16. Coach

Coach Rookie

May 3, 2010

I am taking this test today in Dallas. I have studied from 3 separate guides and hope that the questions are a lot more like the TExES prep materials than the Region 10 prep materials. Oh well, wish me luck!

17. newteacher26

newteacher26 Companion

May 4, 2010

Coach, good luck! How was the test? I am going to take this soon and only have one book to study from. Any tips you can give?

18. texjess2010

texjess2010 Companion

May 4, 2010

good luck coach! i took this test last week and some how passed. i do NOT think the guide was helpful...only critical thinking and reading each ...question....really...slowly....:)

19. Coach

Coach Rookie

May 5, 2010

I passed with a 274. I correctly "guessed" on 50 of the 60 questions.

The best guide I have seen has been the Region 10 ESL Study course. Better than TExES's prep materials by far. I really didn't study, but used my knowledge of a Utopian school to help me out a lot.

20. texjess2010

texjess2010 Companion

May 5, 2010

congrats! yes, the state guide was NOT helpful and i too used ideas of utopia:) good luck with applying the esl now!

21. jennybt03

jennybt03 Rookie

May 29, 2010

Region 10 ESL 154 guide?

Hi there! Just passed the generalist ec-6 and the ppr...onto esl supp 154. So, I am reading that the state guide for 154 was not helpful (I thought the state practice tests for the generalist and ppr were helpful) and that Region 10 has the best study guide. How do I go about buying one? I am a sub, not a full time teacher. Thank you!

22. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 7, 2010

I will be taking the bilingual EC-6 at the end of this month. I was wondering how the generalist ec-6 was for you. I am using the state guide as has the teachers that have passed it on down to me. I don't know about the ESL study guide but the TExES study guide for bilingual did help me when I took the bililngual exam a few years ago. There should be one for ESL.

23. jennybt03

jennybt03 Rookie

Jun 9, 2010

EC-6

Hi there! EC-6 was challenging in that there were so many questions that had two "good" answers. I passed with a 276, I think. There were a few questions that were impossible to study for but overall, taking the state guide's practice tests, REA's 191 study guide and over 200 hand written note cards helped. Spent about 30 hours studying...worth it! My advice if you take the paper test is to mark challenging questions, complete the rest of the test, use restroom, get a drink, breathe deep and go back in the test room to tackle the last few hard ones. I had 11 of the 140(?) that I thought were really tough. After my mini break to the restroom, I was able to confidently answer 7 of them. Eat a small light breakfast too!Best to you!

24. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 10, 2010

Jennyb, thanks for the advice. I have pretty much what you mentioned to use for studying. I am dedicating a good portion of my days for the next 3 weeks on studying. At least I already have experienced taking these tests so the material is very familiar. Hopefully, all this will help.

25. jennybt03

jennybt03 Rookie

Jun 23, 2010

quizlet 154 esl has Region 10-like flash cards

Quizlet has a few esl 154 items. Choose the one with the 170+ items and the 70+ items. They contain many key terms, ideas in the Region 10 materials.

26. jennybt03

jennybt03 Rookie

Aug 3, 2010

Passed the ESL supplemental!

Passed the 154! You can do it too! Study the free tea guide, review all terms, remember the correct answer will never include putting a video on (most work for teacher=correct response) and do some general reading through some of the esl literature recommended in the back of the tea guide.

27. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jan 25, 2011

I took the test on Sunday and I passed! Yay! What a stress relief! :)

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 26, 2011

Congratulations, fratbrats!

29. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jan 26, 2011

Thanks! :D

30. Lovestheclassic

Lovestheclassic New Member

Sep 25, 2011

Test Tomorrow ESL 154

I went to two study sessions. I've reviewed and just completed a practice test. I passed with a 75. :unsure: So, we'll see. Say some prayers. I hope that the raw score is still given out at the end of the test. Waiting is a killer. Good luck to everyone!:thumb:

31. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Sep 26, 2011

Good luck! It's been a couple of years since they gave out the raw score. I did get my results in two days, though. Check the SBEC site and the Texes site, as sometimes the email is slow or never comes.