TExES ELA 8-12 Essay Prep

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by MyMulligan, Jul 29, 2008.

1. MyMulligan

MyMulligan Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

Hello All!

I'm taking the TExES ELA 8-12 exam this weekend. I've spent time reviewing literature, literary terms, pedagogy and content. I've done the practice questions in the ETS Prep Manual and bought the CertifyTeacher software, as well as the Pass The TExES study guide.

While I still wish that there were more practice questions to be had for the mulitple choice section, my bigger concern is that I wish I had more examples of common or past constructed response prompts....or, if that violates the rules, just general help on what to expect beyond the one example provided by TEA/ETS. I wish they provided a "good" example for reference rather than just the prompt. I'm just not sure exactly what to expect. Does anyone have a resource or advice on the essay section?

Thanks!

3. ishiku

ishiku New Member

Aug 2, 2008

essay question

i ran outta time on my essay....urg. i knew what to say but didn't have time to say it all...& you? how did you feel about it?

4. Jade0480

Jade0480 Rookie

Jan 31, 2009

I know this post is 6 months old now, but I just took the ELA 8-12 and didn't have time to finish my essay either. Is that an auto fail? Did you pass your exam??? I think I did ok on the multiple choice and I drafted out the essay in the booklet, I just didn't have time to copy it all into my answer document. I got through the introduction and part of the first paragraph (I answered the question with examples for one of the two works that was provided - but I didn't get to answer it for the other one).

Ugh, I am so worried....

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 31, 2009

Dunno, Jade0480. Sometimes if it's clear where you were going, the scorers will cut slack - but it sort of depends on how far you got.