texes ec-4 generalist

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by wannateachintx, Sep 22, 2006.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 26, 2009

Ah, I see TExES doesn't do printed score reports any more. Well, there's doubtless still an official score report that will contain more information than the unofficial one...

2. erudite

erudite Rookie

Mar 26, 2009

That's good, thanks for the reply

3. navi

navi Rookie

Mar 29, 2009

Hi:
    I am taking my EC-4 generalist exam next saturday. I used the CliffTestPrep book for the prepartion. I only used this book so what do you think the exam questions are similar to the pratice test that this book coverd or more difficult ? What other sources you used for the prepration?

4. navi

navi Rookie

Mar 29, 2009

Which book you used for the prepration?

5. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Mar 30, 2009

I used "Preparing for the Texas PreK-4 Teacher Certification: A Guide to the Comprehensive TExES Content Areas Exam"
    By: Janice L. Nath, John Ramsey

I ordered it through Amazon. My local library had it but it was checked out and I didn't want to wait. It was well worth the money. I didn't read it cover to cover. I have a minor in Biology, so I just skimmed the science, I also have a little background in music and when I found out the music/art/health only make up 15% together on the test I skimmed those areas too. I focused mostly on the history and reading/language arts.
    I also used the practice test found on "certifyteacher.com ( I think it's a .com) those helped but I think they were a bit harder than what was actually on the test. Good luck--think positive you will do great!

6. navi

navi Rookie

Apr 4, 2009

Hi:
    I took my TExas (EC-4 Generalist) exam today. I took the PBT. I felt the exam was very very tough. I think I am not going to pass the test. The exam question were not very straight forward. Each and every question was tricky. Do you had the same experince with the CBT? What do you think the CBT and PBT have the same difficulty level?

7. wifeofa coach

wifeofa coach Rookie

Apr 5, 2009

I haven't taken a test in 15 yrs, but I'm taking my EC-4 Generalist test on April 20th. I'm VERY nervous!! I have a 4th grader, so I've been studying his math homework and reading his social studies book. I have also read many pages of this thread. Thanks to all of you who have provided information!!

I'm concerned about the LA part being so much of the test. If anyone can provide specifics to study I'd appreciate it. I'm a stay at home mom of 3 boys and my brain is at full capacity...I'll take all the help I can get :)

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 7, 2009

Have you looked up the state content standards for English/language arts? If they're not on line, it would be surprising - most states' are.

9. wifeofa coach

wifeofa coach Rookie

Apr 7, 2009

I haven't, but I will do that today. Thank you!!

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 7, 2009

Pay attention to material in the content standards above grade 4: teacher tests often expect (and, I think, rightly) competence in subject matter beyond what's taught in the grades covered by the test.

11. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Apr 8, 2009

They are online. If you go to the TEA Website, you should be able to find the TEKS. Click on the left hand side under CURRICULUM. When the new page comes up, on the left hand side again, there are more links. Click CURRICULUM STANDARDS/TEKS, and a sub-menu comes up with all the guidelines.

12. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Apr 8, 2009

Someone may have already asked this but how long does it take to get PBT results? I am wondering if sometimes they get them done quickly? Or are they alsways posted on the date in the bulletin (like 4 weeks after)? Thanks!

13. wifeofa coach

wifeofa coach Rookie

Apr 9, 2009

Thank you!! The help is GREATLY appreciated......

14. lilredcorvette

lilredcorvette Rookie

Apr 13, 2009

is there anyone who is looking to or is already starting to study for the ec-4 texes exam who lives in houston texas?? i am trying to start a study group. i am going through texas teachers for my acp and there are NO review sessions for the content tests. i have taken 3 tests so far and have failed all of them. if anyone is interested PLEASE respond!!

15. wifeofa coach

wifeofa coach Rookie

Apr 21, 2009

Thanks to everyone who offered advice....I passed my test!!!! Now it's time to find a job :)

16. navi

navi Rookie

Apr 24, 2009

Hi:
    I am also preparing my exam from the 4th grades social studies, Math, and science books. What do you think the exam was simple or difficult. Is that sufficient if I use 4th grades books for the study.

17. thirdtimearound

thirdtimearound New Member

Apr 25, 2009

Took my Ec-4 test Tuesday! I PASSED!!

So excited! Six weeks of studying paid off! I pass with a 270. :woot: Don't know if that's good or not, but hey it's passing. I'm not sure how they score on the 100 scale when there were 110 questions, but I passed, so yippee!

My next job is to pass the 4-8. Has anyone done both? If so, how different are the exams? I found the EC-4 to be 90% theory and only 10% true subject knowledge. I'm thinking the 4-8 is the opposite? IMO, the EC-4 TExES exam could have been the PPR there were SO many instruction questions and "how would you best instruct" questions as opposed to simple questions to see if you know the subject content.

Also, what is a good study guide for the 4-8?

18. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2009

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!:eek: You swore to not share any of the test info!:D
    You silly girl!
    Rebel1

19. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Apr 25, 2009

I got my test results back almost exactly 3 weeks after I took the test.

20. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Apr 26, 2009

On the texes site it gives you a date when scores will be given. The date for my test is tomorrow. I was really wanting to get them early, I just have to hope they actually post them tomorrow. I'm dying to know.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 27, 2009

Scores tend overwhelmingly to be posted no later than when they're promised, mego65. Breathe, please.

22. brnigrl

brnigrl New Member

May 1, 2009

The Tests probably include test questions that they may or may not include or future exams that is probably why they took 10 questions off.

BRNIGRL

23. janney

janney Cohort

May 9, 2009

Yes, the test does include 10 "trial" questions. There were a few questions on the test where I thought, "This had better be one of the ten trial questions," because they were horrible questions.:lol:

24. CandeeStars

CandeeStars Rookie

May 27, 2009

My day is up again. I took the special ed TExES last Wednesday, now it is time for me to take my EC-4 Generalist, I am a little nervous!! I am trying not to be, because I know anxiety will only make it worse, I just feel less prepared for this test because it was hard to study for EVERYTHING! :(

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 27, 2009

Have you downloaded the official manual that gives the rundown of what's tested? (It isn't "EVERYTHING", believe me: there are limits on what's tested.)

26. CandeeStars

CandeeStars Rookie

Jun 1, 2009

passed!!!

Didn't realize you had replied to me! Sorry! Yes, I studied the orange book by Janice Nath, I bought the online practice materials from CertifyTeacher.org and I had the manual printed off from the actual website!

Very beneficial! It was hard at the time, but not.. ha ha kind of hard to explain. Some questions I was sure of, some I was not, but I picked what I thought was the best answer based on my knowledge. I guess that worked because I passed with a 287! I am very excited!

Good Luck to all who have to take it! It took me about 2 1/2 hours.

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 1, 2009

No worries, and congratulations!

28. Region4teacher

Region4teacher New Member

Jun 2, 2009

Well I took my content test today for texes ec-4 and it was my second time taking it. I am pretty confident I did well. I studied for 4 weeks and did not over studied like my first test. I should get my results back this week so wish me luck guys!

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 2, 2009

I'll wish you better than that, Region4teacher: that you passed and that luck had absolutely nothing to do with it.

30. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 7, 2009

EC-4 Texes Generalist Testing Prep Books

Hi Guys! I have two Texes Generalist Books that I used to prepare. I did extremely well and would be happy to pass these on for a greatly reduced rate than what I paid. They were expensive! But they REALLY helped!:p

31. navi

navi Rookie

Jun 8, 2009

Hi :
    Wish you best of luck. Which books you used for the prepration.

32. SouthernTwist

SouthernTwist Rookie

Aug 14, 2009

I took my test a few weeks ago and didn't pass. I didn't know about these boards then and don't have a background in education so I only studied what was on the SBEC website (bad idea). So, I'm taking my test again in October and just ordered the Prek-4 Teacher Certification Book to help better prepare for my second go round.

33. JulieB

JulieB New Member

Aug 26, 2009

Passed!

I've been reading these boards for the past few weeks and really appreciate all the insight everybody has shared about the tests.

I took my test Monday and found out Tuesday morning that I passed!

I studied heavily the weekend before and went in Monday thinking that if I didn't pass it, I could always take it again.

I think I am a relatively fast test taker, and it took me about an hour to finish.

I studied the Cliff Notes book and the yellow book by Diane Bauer and feel they definitely led me in the right direction!

-Julie

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 26, 2009

Commiserations, SouthernTwist.

Congratulations, JulieB!

35. SouthernTwist

SouthernTwist Rookie

Oct 30, 2009

Hi! Those that have taken their test on Friday's when did you receive your scores?

36. newteacher26

newteacher26 Companion

Oct 30, 2009

I'm taking the EC-6 test tomorrow. I only have 2 ed courses left, so I'm feeling pretty confident that I know enough (I think and hope!!). I have been studying like a mad woman all this week! Everything I've read on here so far I've taken and will be using testing tips :) I hope I do well!!! :thumb:

Ah, and I KNOW waiting for the results is going to torture me!! I won't get them until Nov 23rd since it's the PBT. I wish they'd have the computer test for this one already! :rolleyes:

37. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Oct 30, 2009

Good luck!!!! I wished that they had that test when I took the EC-4. It was a great idea to combine those grade levels. :)

38. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Oct 31, 2009

I understand the EC-6 is a lot more involved. I was advised to hurry and get my EC-4 beforehand so that I would not kill myself with studying. I did study and I guess the books helped somewhat. I had the Nath book and the cliff notes book. Honestly, I think that the life experience is what helped me the most. And remembering to put the child FIRST in every single scenerio. Also they seem to ask the same question in different ways - over and over. Being consistent is also a key. ALL the best!

39. SouthernTwist

SouthernTwist Rookie

Nov 2, 2009

Good Luck! I'm sure you did great!:)

40. cowboys5

cowboys5 New Member

Jan 7, 2010

Yes please let me know because I have been looking for a study group in Houston. I need to pass the PPR EC-12.