texes ec-4 generalist

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by wannateachintx, Sep 22, 2006.

1. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jun 23, 2007

Hello,

It sounds like you definitely passed based on other's scores. There were people that passed with a 66. And I know it's a scaled scored test. One person wrote that they knew someone that had 78, but was given a 240. So, they must of a had an easier version of the test. Here's some specific scores that I can remember: 68-247, 70-252, 70-253. I had them all written down once, but I must have recycled the paper that I wrote them on. I took mine by computer on Firday afternoon and then they emailed me on Monday afternoon with access to my unofficial score. Then about 2 days later, I received the official scores in the mail. Most college websites report that 70 is passing. So good luck and start applying for jobs this weekend!!!!

Take care, Sheri:p

2. broomx3kbaby

broomx3kbaby New Member

Jun 23, 2007

Hey thanks fratbrats,

That makes me feel a little better. I'm checking school web sites right now.

Take care,
    Wayne

3. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jun 23, 2007

Have fun with those online applications! I just finished applying to my 6th ISD. I have 2 others pending. I'm waiting on a transcript to finish those. Sheri:D

4. jedipwnces

jedipwnces Rookie

Jul 7, 2007

Thanks to all of you who offered advice and support! Making us wait three weeks for our scores is mean, but the PBT scores from the June 16th testing date were up yesterday and I apparently scored 290/300. I'd really like to see itemized, or at least subject specific documentation of where I missed questions. Do they send that to you later? And can we trust the scores that showed up on the SBEC site?

I felt like the Social Studies questions were tough because they were asking for specific information that my background in History didn't cover (oooh, and I don't know geography- doesn't that seem awkward? history degree? I know what happens but apparently cannot figure out where it was happening... :) oh well). Also, putting extra time into the reading and writing study areas was definitely a good idea!! Someone offered me this, too, which might help:
    C- cooperative learning
    H- higher order thinking (bloom's taxonomy, maybe? lvls of questioning?)
    I- integrated lessons (multiple subjects at once)
    L- learner-centered ("the students don't get paid to adapt to your teaching styles... you're paid to adapt to their learning styles")
    D- diversity
    If you can remember these major ideas, I was told, you should be able to puzzle out all those tricky scenario questions. I did this, and it seemed to have helped. So maybe it'll help someone else, too. :)

I'm frustrated because before I signed up for this test, there was no mention of how difficult it is for ACP candidates to find jobs in EC-4... so I'm taking SpEd and 4-8 Math too. Hopefully those will be higher need areas in the districts where I end up applying. Does anyone know if EC-4 openings are always scarce? Do certified teachers have the same difficulty in securing positions? Or is it just tricky for us because we are seeking certification?

5. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 7, 2007

Jedi,
    It is hard for any EC-4 exclusive to get a job, that is the biggest area of flooding, no matter where you live.

The math will make you extremely marketable!!!!

Just hang in!!!!!

I am in the opposit situation, I am entering my first year and have SPED but now I need to take the EC-4 to meet the district requirements, have to prove I know how different my kids are I guess!!! I think it is a good idea, just costly when you don't have a job (or at least the year hasn't begun yet!!) I had to have a garage sale to pay for this test!!!! LOL

6. jedipwnces

jedipwnces Rookie

Jul 7, 2007

I hope you're right... :)

Awww! I'm so sorry! I didn't have to have a garage sale... it's just that much longer I have to put off moving out of my parents' house. I guess, if you needed to have a garage sale anyway, this is as good a reason as any, though. That's actually a great idea!

I don't know if you're looking for anything, but I thought the Cliffs EC-4 Guide was pretty helpful. And it was like $20 on Amazon (instead of $40-70 like everything else). You have experience already, though, so that might be a waste of your money!

7. Jen91880

Jen91880 New Member

Jul 9, 2007

I just took the EC-4 Generalist test and got a 61/100....Im so scared I did not pass?? Has anyone heard of anyone passing with that score?

8. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 13, 2007

Hey all, I just got in from taking the EC-4 and got 84 of 100, so i am pretty stoked!! I already passed the SPED last week so now I can realx!!!

Good Luck to everyone who is, has, or will be taking the test and waitng for results!!!

9. jedipwnces

jedipwnces Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

Congratulations!! :D

I think you should treat yourself to a snow cone... or something like it.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 13, 2007

Well done, hdmeza! I for one am not surprised.

In these parts, jedipwnces, I'd be inclined to recommend a deeeeeeply chilled margarita...

11. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 13, 2007

Thanx for the kind words, I have been in Early Childhood and Sped for several years, but in the private sector. My degree is in Literature and have not any methods classes or any of that fun stuff since the late 90's. It is refreshing to see that I was never really too far out of the loop.

I will say a great advantage is knowing NAEYC Developmentally Appropriate Practices and "Best Practices" are a huge help. When all else fauils I just fall back on WWND (What Would NEAYC DO?) LOL!!!

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 13, 2007

Mental Competence Is Transferable: that should be among the test taker's mantras. If you can make sense in one area, you can (learn to) make sense in others.

13. Martieroo

Martieroo New Member

Jul 16, 2007

On computer score I got 87/100 questions - the 10 are taken out.

The unofficial is 279/300.

14. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 16, 2007

Wow, congrats to you!!!!

I took mine on Friday, I hope to get my unofficials in the next few days!!!

15. Martieroo

Martieroo New Member

Jul 16, 2007

I will keep my fingers crossed!

I actually took my test on Thursday! The unofficial scores were posted today.

I am getting ready to take my EC-12 - PPR next Tuesday!

I have been studying.

16. jedipwnces

jedipwnces Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Oh wow- do I need to be taking the PPR too? I mean, I know I need it eventually, but I thought that could wait till I'd been teaching a while. Has that changed?

Congratulations! Great score! And I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, hdmeza, but I'm sure you did beautifully.

17. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 16, 2007

Jedi, us alt cert people do not have to take the PPR right awayy, some choose too.

I know that some cert programs through colleges require it as part of program completin, but even my district with very high standards (have to be certified in content and SPED) does not require the PPR to be hired, just by the end of the first year!!!! I know several first year teachers last year who took PPR this summer!!!

Check with the district you get hired with, but it likely will not be hiring condition!!

18. Martieroo

Martieroo New Member

Jul 16, 2007

University

My college makes us sign up to take this C/NC course. We can either pass the real tests - in my case EC-4 generalist, EC-12 SPED, and EC-12 PPR or take their practices tests and score an 80.

I am not sure what my district is requiring. I am just taking it because I don't want to have to take the practice on a specific Saturday morning.

19. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 16, 2007

Even though I had not recieved my requested email to confirm score postings, I checked any way!!! It was posted!!!!
    274!!! Yeah i am so stoked, now I am done for a year, no more career dependent tests for 10-12 months, whew now I can breathe and get overwhelmed in teaching not test taking!!!!

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 16, 2007

Well done, hdmeza! I'm not surprised.

21. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

My Alternative Certification Program, Texas Teachers, won't allow us to take the PPR until a few months of teaching. They advise around December. They want us to take all the content exams we can during the summer. But, it would be nice to have that all done!

I notice the PPR study guides are a nice read and would be very helpful to review for interviews and teaching itself.

I just applied to my 10th ISD. Whew! I don't think there are any others that I would want to drive to, so that's it. Now, I need to start sending out resume packages again and study for the SPED EC-12 exam.

Sheri

22. Tee-Jay

Tee-Jay New Member

Aug 15, 2007

Did you pass

Did you pass?

23. kaymurr

kaymurr Rookie

Sep 8, 2007

24. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Sep 8, 2007

25. kaymurr

kaymurr Rookie

Sep 11, 2007

I got a 267..."unofficially"! That was so fast. Tested on Fri. evening and results by noon on Mon.

26. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Sep 11, 2007

That's great! Congrats!:party:

27. yamaha_flutist

yamaha_flutist Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

I just took the Computer exam for EC-4 and you can go back and review your answers.

28. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Sep 16, 2007

That's true!!!

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 16, 2007

yamaha_flutist and fratbrats, I'm glad to hear that.

30. lc4

lc4 New Member

Sep 16, 2007

What was your score? I just took the test an got 66 right and I am worried.

31. yamaha_flutist

yamaha_flutist Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

Well I took the EC-4 today and my raw score was 81/100. I know other people on here have said they got scores in the 60s and it was passing. I have been told it depends on the competency level of the questions missed.

Don't worry - the worst that can happen is you take the test again and you'll pass it then!

I took the Music one last week and got 52/80 - I failed that one and have to retake it.

32. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Sep 16, 2007

66 is the lowest that I've seen on these threads for people who have passed. So, you have a chance! And, they get those computer scores back to you quick. At least you don't have to wait 3 weeks! Good luck!:)

33. lc4

lc4 New Member

Sep 17, 2007

I passed!!!!

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 17, 2007

Congratulations, lc4!

35. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Sep 17, 2007

Yeah! Congrats!:party:

36. yamaha_flutist

yamaha_flutist Rookie

Sep 18, 2007

I passed!

Just got the official score - 275! I passed! I am so happy!

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 18, 2007

Brava, yamaha_flutist!

38. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Sep 18, 2007

Yeah! Congrats to you, too!:party:

39. denice25

denice25 Rookie

Dec 8, 2007

a little nervous

I took my ec-4 generalist exam today and scored 68/100..I don't know if I passed and I'm feeling like a nervous wreck. Help!!!

40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 8, 2007

That's getting near 70%, denice25: I wouldn't be surprised to see you pass. Don't quote me, though: I'm just the Left Coast busybody.