TexEs EC-4 Gen Content Exam....Help!

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by newtothis2006, Aug 12, 2006.

1. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

I don't know what I got myself into! My alternative Cert Program told me to sign up for the content exams as soon as I get accepted into their program. So, I did. Now I'm freaking out! My test is on Monday morning and I just started reading trough the study guide. I did not expect the material too be that challenging. I took the NES study guide practice questions and failed miserably! I scored a 60%. You have to get an 80% (240 out of 300) to pass. Has anyone else taken the EC-4 exam? I don't want to fail, this test is $107! I can't possibly study the 20 listed reference books before Monday. Does anyone have any ideas of how to cram? There's got to be one book out there specifically covering all the material....Please Help!!!! :eek:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 12, 2006

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You do need 240 out of 300 points, but that doesn't necessarily equate to 80%, if the bottom of the scale is something other than zero. (California's CSET exams, also an NES product, run on a scoring scale from 100 to 300. By the way, if you're paying $107 for the whole shebang, you're getting off cheap: Praxis takers can spend $250 or so, and that doesn't count retakes.)

It's generally the case that the "20 listed reference books" are not a list of requirements but a menu of possibilities.
    For most teacher tests, 60% isn't all that far off passing. You do have some work to do. Use the study guide to identify areas in which you're pretty secure vs. areas in which you need more help. Then post here what has you most nervous, and chances are pretty good someone will post some good resources.

4. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Aug 14, 2006

Thanks for the advice guys. I did have my exam today. What a beating! It took me 3 1/2 hours for 110 questions. I was try to make sure I read and re-read and took my time. It was a very challenging test. Has anyone taken the EC-4 texes on here? I am really curious as to wether I passes and I think it could go either way. I scored 72 correct. BUT, some of those might be the 10 that aren't scored. Does anyone have any hopeful insight?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 15, 2006

Worst case, if your 72 correct is correct, is that 10 of your correct answers were the ten nonscoring questions, in which case let's do some math:

110 total questions - 10 nonscoring questions = 100 scoring questions

72 questions correct - 10 possible nonscoring questions = 62 scoring questions correct

62 scoring questions correct/100 scoring questions total = 62% correct.

I would bet against all ten of the nonscoring questions having been ones you got right, because the nonscoring questions are precisely those which the testing company is trying out - they haven't had the rough edges knocked off them yet.

Better?

Go eat some chocolate, or whatever else works for you that way, please.

6. wannateachtx

wannateachtx Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

Just giving you a pat on the back. I'm sure you did fine. I am enrolling in a MAT program this fall, and will be facing the TEXES EC-4. I am scared flat to death. There is sooo much to study, etc. My bachelors is in gerontology...other words....I have no background in education. What do you suggest studying most? I think I am really going to have to brush up on history, science, etc, etc. Anyways, good luck.

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2006

I took the EC-4 exam in 2004. I would know some child development,reading development, some math, classroom management. I have also taken the 4-8 reading social studies, and in a few weeks I have to take the spec ed test. Good luck!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 15, 2006

wannateachtx, TExES EC-4 and CSET-MS are by no means identical, but there is a fair bit of overlap. Check out some of the discussions we've had on this subforum on history, science, etc. over the last year or so (to see what's available on the Multiple Subject Tests subforum, which we're in, you can either click on its link at the top of the page or you can click the Go button in the Forum Jump tool at the bottom of the page). Feel free to ask questions about the material you're studying, too. I'd guess you'll find that your degree in gerontology has equipped you better than you think, since you probably have studied life science and human development at least.

If you've got kids, go take 'em to play at a hands-on science museum. If you haven't got kids of your own, borrow some relatives or neighbors, or find a friend who likes to play and is willing to get a little goofy. (Most of the scientists I know tell me that science IS play.)