TExES EC-4 Exam (Texas Teachers)...

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by TxChelsey, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 8, 2008

Sounds promising. That's about 73% correct - would be surprising if you didn't but then again their scoring is complex.

2. TEACHKIDDOS

TEACHKIDDOS Rookie

Apr 8, 2008

Thanks for the encouraging words! I just really want to thank you for your helpful words over all this! I am really discouraged about my generalist scores but from what I've read I'm not the only one who has had trouble so that's a little uplifting..anyway, thanks again!

3. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 8, 2008

Yes, the test is not easy. I've heard of people having to take it several times before passing. I think the key is to get yourself a good study guide to begin with and study it over & over. You'll do well next time. ;)

4. TEACHKIDDOS

TEACHKIDDOS Rookie

Apr 10, 2008

Hello all...I passed my PPR!!! Hooray!!! Now just one week till the content test! Any advice for studying? I have gotten the competencies down and highlighted important info and done the test questions in the Ramsy orange book.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 10, 2008

Brava, TEACHKIDDOS!

6. TEACHKIDDOS

TEACHKIDDOS Rookie

Apr 23, 2008

I was wondering if anyone knew how long it takes to get your results back from a paper based test?

7. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 23, 2008

No, I've taken all of mine via computer. I'm taking the TOPT next month, though it's audio --- I don't know how that gets process.

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 24, 2008

Three to four weeks. Keep checking the website though because it should hit that first.

Lemon

9. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Jun 22, 2008

So ive been reading all your posts about the texes ec-4 generalist test...I just took my exam today. They have obvisouly changed some things since some of you have posted. They didnt print out how many i got correct when i completed the test like some of you had mentioned. Now im just patiently (ha!) waiting to here the results. They said it would be around 5 days for the results to hit the internet. Does anyone know if it usually hapens before then or always 5 days? 5 days seems like foreveeeeer away. Thanks in advance!

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 23, 2008

Breathe, please, kinderkc, and please find your brain something to do other than pacing the waiting room before the delivery of your bouncing baby, um, test scores.

11. TEACHKIDDOS

TEACHKIDDOS Rookie

Jun 24, 2008

It doesn't take the whole 5 days but it isn't posted right away! Good luck!

12. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Jun 24, 2008

I just found out that i passed! 254! yay! im so excited and RELIEVED!!!!!

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2008

Congrats, kinderkc

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 24, 2008

Well done, kinderkc. Make sure you celebrate!

15. Jayemsi5

Jayemsi5 Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

I just registered to take the ESL/EC-4 Generalist exam on August 2nd 2008. Any advice from those of you who have taken it or will take it in the near future? I took a BIG risk registering for this examination because I have no background in elementary education :unsure: I am certified in secondary education but feel that my true calling is working with the youngins (even tho teens are really not that bad ;) ) Also, I barely graduated from college and am looking for my very first teaching job!

16. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Jun 26, 2008

I would suggest getting a good book. I used the Cliff notes Texes EC-4 Generalist book. It breaks down all the domains for you and allows you to learn the basic definitions for terms used in the test. I made notecards of basically all the highlighted words in the book and that helped me ALOT. Also try and take as many practice exams as possible. I found that you can find good study books if you search your local half price books often. Hope this helps! Good luck!

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 26, 2008

If possible, always examine all the available prep books/resources before buying one: you want to buy the one that works for you. Some people find practice questions helpful; others find that what they really need is illustrated review of the concepts. Go for what helps you get what you need to know. And if you haven't already downloaded the EC-4 Generalist free study materials from the TExES Website, I'd recommend doing so: the list of topics in it is the gold standard for what can be tested.

18. preKmommy

preKmommy New Member

Jun 26, 2008

I'm also secondary certified. I've been out of teaching raising my children for 8 years when I decided to get certified in elementary ed. I studied for one month from 2 books: Texes: Generalist EC-4 Cliffs and Preparing for the Texas PreK-4 Teacher Certification: A Guide to the Comprehensive TExES Content Areas Exam by Nath. I took the computerized test and only missed a total of 5 questions. Be sure to study the language arts section the most! The bulk of the test is on this content. Make note cards to guide you in the process. Also, think about developmental areas when you are asked a question. Sometimes all the answer choices seem to be correct, but when you think about the age of the student you can narrow down the answer choices. Hope this helps!

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 26, 2008

Great advice, preKmommy. It's important to answer the question that's actually asked.

20. 24student

24student Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

I just took the ec-4 CAT............wow lol.......some questions were quite ify....the most was language arts........i did get that quesiton about the plateus, regions e.t.c......... well see how it goes........ i was feeling quite good last night when i took the last 50 questions from pre test 2 from cliff notes and only missed 13.....hopefully everything goes well.

21. 24student

24student Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

so yea i bombed the test......

22. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2008

24student, I'm sorry to hear that. In what competencies did you miss the most?

23. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 14, 2008

YOu don't know you bombed it! You could be just fine. Think positive and relax.

24. 24student

24student Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

language arts killed me...... the alternative certification program that i am enrolled in told me that, in south texas it is most difficult to pass the ec-4......told me to go to san antonio or houston to take it..........i dont know why.........does anyone know how i could study better for the test, all i have is the cliff notes book ec-4..... or what i should focuse on for the test the most, i know language arts but what parts.

25. QQQ

QQQ Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

download 'put reading first' .. part/publicatioin of nclb and a massive part of the exam is from there... i studied less than a week but mugged put reading first and i passed my ec-4 as well as special ed 161 with 275+

good luck

26. 24student

24student Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

so i download "put reading first: k-3 or ....?

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 16, 2008

Google "put reading first" and look for a link that's from the government.

28. 24student

24student Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

anybody know what i should focus on for teh science part...

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 30, 2008

What to focus on? Whatever you're not already good at that's mentioned in the test guide online and in the state content standards for the grades in question. Newton's laws tend to be huge, because they explain so much in the world.

30. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 31, 2008

Also I remember a couple of question regarding the water cycle process. From my understanding there's always at least a question about this. There are also several question regarding plant growth & Photosynthesis.

31. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 1, 2008

The test is not easier in one part of the state than another. That is silly and the person who told you that is wrong.

Science- Look at the TEKS strands. There are major concepts that students learn in EC -4th. Some topics are touched on each grade but grow in their scope.

Here are several

Life cycle of a plant or animal
    Weather
    Rocks and Rock Cycle
    Push Pull/Force
    Solar system along with phases of the moon
    Water cycle
    Landforms
    Science tools including types of scales (3 beam scale is one I remember)

32. teach2008

teach2008 Rookie

Oct 23, 2008

Transferring to TX

Can anyone tell me the tests that I need to take if I transfer from CA to TX? I have already taken CBEST, CSET Math I & II, and in the process of getting a credential from a Cal State School.

Thank you for all your help.

33. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Oct 25, 2008

Hello,

Are you wanting to just teach Math? If so, go to TEXES and look at the Math choices. They are seperated by grade level. If you want to teach other subjects, you take one of the generalist tests. They are also seperated by grade level. They have also combined Science/Math. I know that this is true for 4-8, but they may have done the same for the other grade levels. You need to pass one of these and pass the PPR for your standard certificate.

Good luck!:)

34. WayOfTeaching

WayOfTeaching Rookie

Dec 7, 2008

Question about teacher certificate

Hi everybody,

I would like to ask you something.....I'm from Europe and I have a Bachelor Degree in Education...I did my equivalency here in U.S and my degree was evaluated as a U.S Bachelor Degree with dual majors:
    1. in education
    2. English as a second language

While I was in college, I did student teaching also.

My question is: Do I need a teacher certificate here in U.S? Has anyone faced the same situation?
    I would like to teach kindergarten.

I also read on Texas SBEC about this:
    In 2001, the 77th Texas Legislature passed House Bill 1721, which allows the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) to issue a Texas teaching certificate to any candidate who holds a certificate in another state or country and who has passed (a) certification exam(s) “similar to and at least as rigorous as” the corresponding Texas certification exam(s).

Or if I do need a teacher certificate, who should I ask to?
    I would highly appreciate your help.
    Thanks in advance.

35. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Dec 7, 2008

Speak directly to SBEC. More than likely they will ask you to send your records and for a fee they will review them and tell you what tests you need to take. It is my understanding with what you have you can still get hired but if SBEC tells you you need to pass the tests, then you will need to have those taken before you finish your first year.