TExES EC-4 Exam (Texas Teachers)...

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by TxChelsey, Jul 10, 2006.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 15, 2007

Let's calculate the percentage: 65/120 is about 54%. The good news is that that's more than half. The bad news is that it isn't much more than half. Now I don't know offhand whether TExES exams have non-scoring questions, though chances are pretty good that they do. If so, one can hope that you got all of the non-scoring questions wrong (that is, you'd still have 65 right, but the base on which percentage would be calculated would be perhaps 110). That's still below 2/3, which is a little nervous-making.

2. alexisteach

alexisteach Rookie

Jun 22, 2007

Help

Hi am taking the TEXES EC-4 Generalist test. I am going through an ACP program.
    Is there any advice that would be helpful for taking this test/ or how to study? maybe someone that has just taken it.
    Thanks

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 22, 2007

Look around among the threads here: you'll find some help, I think. It makes sense to start with the official study manual on the TExES Web site, and make sure you know and can handle all of the technical terms there.

4. ladybuglady

ladybuglady Rookie

Jun 22, 2007

I would buy several test prep books. I bought the REA Texes 101 Generalist EC-4 ISBN# 0738601667. It had a full length exam and goes over every domain. Also go to www.rea.com/texes and you can take a free diagnostic exam. I found that I could read all I wanted but I really needed to practice taking test after test. Have you taken the PPR? Another book I bought was Barron's How to Prepare for the TExES. The ISBN# is 076412884. This book had several tests and explains all of the answers. I hope this helps. I think that I bought both books at Borders.

5. meedymayes

meedymayes Rookie

Jul 1, 2007

i need help on studying the many compentencies. although i know that we should not know all of them verbatim, what degree should we memorize each, and how can we use them/ or whats the best way to apply them when studying. I am sorry but i just feel like i am reading a bunch of info over and over and i am having a hard time applying them and i am pretty sure thats more important. Any advice?

6. meedymayes

meedymayes Rookie

Jul 1, 2007

Also best advice on catching up on some texas history? I am from louisiana so i need to familiarize myself with texas history. For those of you who have taken the test already, what do you suggest! i know it doesnt count for a big portion of the test, but hey every bit counts and i only want to take this test once! thanks

7. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 2, 2007

8. meedymayes

meedymayes Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

Oh my god thank you so much. That timeline looks awesome. Gets straight to the point without having to open a bunch of books and pick out things. i will let you know how it goes after the test as well. thank you again i really appreciate it and i hope it helps someone else as wel.

9. ladybuglady

ladybuglady Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

Hello Meedymayes,
    I would definately try and purchase the two books I listed above and also take the diagnostic test. I like to practice ALOT before I take tests. The majority of the test is Domains I thru XI...but you still need to study the others as well. The reason I like to take alot of practice tests from the books above is because it they tell you where you went wrong and why and it lets you see what your weak areas are so that you can concentrate on them. I hope this helps.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 2, 2007

Practicing with questions also helps you as test taker begin to see the patterns in questions, and it helps you begin to deal with the little tricks and traps of test taking.

Note, though, that it's very important not to assume that practice problems will look just like the problems on the test. That is, the principles and concepts that you need to know in a given domain are pretty much the same from test to test, but the ways in which the test questions get at those concepts can differ. For example, a test question may not ask you directly about Newton's laws of motion, but it may give you a scenario and expect you to be able to use those laws to predict what will happen in that scenario.

11. tryingtoteach

tryingtoteach New Member

Jul 11, 2007

Did you pass? I made 64 out of 100. I am so scared. This is my second time to take.

12. sckenny

sckenny Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

So did u end up passing or failing the EC-4 test that you took? I just took it and got 59 out of 100 correct and have no idea...im concerned.

13. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

Courtney,

Every question is weighted differently, but a couple of posters passed with a 66 in the past. Good luck!!!

Sheri

14. lisamoe13

lisamoe13 Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

Has anyone used the Texes Master prep material? If so was it helpful - this would be for the EC-4 Generalist? Thanks!

Lisa

15. sckenny

sckenny Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

No...I have not used it but I have been reading information on it and some people find it to be helpful...You know what though..I think that any book/studyguide would be helpful for the exam...its just all about what u take in from the book..because they all say the same thing just in a different manner...The EC-4 cliffs is really good and an easy read

16. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

My friend loaned me the Texas Master for the PPR. She liked it, but my test isn't until December, so I haven't looked at it. I have 2 PPR books that I reviewed during the summer.

Good luck on your exam.

Sheri

17. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Aug 7, 2007

the Bilingual Generalist 4-8 is hard. when i took it there were three people in there with me that had already failed it once. study your math and science VERY CAREFULLY (i used the practice test available online to figure out where my weaknesses were) and review social studies and any pedagogy you find necessary. the bilingual portion is not particularly difficult if you've taken classes on second language acquisition, just remember that the questions are asking you what to do in a PERFECT WORLD.

hmm... did this test already happen? sorry if i'm a bit late...

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 7, 2007

No worries, noreenk: the end of one test cycle is the beginning of the next.

19. wannateachintx

wannateachintx Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but REA has a ppr computer disc out for each section of the ppr, ec-4, 4-8, ec-12. This is amazing. It scores the test like the real thing. I studied this disc and the book that went along with it for a little over a week and passed it with flying colors. I'd recommend this to anyone.

20. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

That's good to know!:cool:

21. gottapass

gottapass Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

With a 64 out of 100, did you pass?

22. gottapass

gottapass Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

Has anyone heard of 63 correct out of 100 passing on the EC-4 exam?? That is what I just got...

23. Wanna Teach

Wanna Teach Rookie

Oct 27, 2007

I'm getting ready to take the EC-4 Generalist Test on Nov. 10 and I checked out the book by Janice Nath "Preparing for the Texas PreK-4 Teacher Certification". A few ppl on this site recommended it and it got Great reviews on amazon.com I think it is helpful thus far although I'm not finished yet. But I have a question about one of the answers given. Please explain the answer for the question on page 48 about which activity would NOT provide exposoure to print?

24. Wanna Teach

Wanna Teach Rookie

Oct 27, 2007

For those who have taken the EC-4 Generalist test...are there specific questions on the test about the competencies themself or do all the questions read like the practice test given on the SBEC/TEA website? I will never memorize or learn all these competencies. Do the questions tell you which competency they are coming from?

25. sckenny

sckenny Rookie

Oct 27, 2007

I have taken the EC-4 Generalist exam and the questions are not specific to the exact compenteny rather they are asked in the form of a situation given or something similar to that. So questions are not asked such as "in compentency 1 what was the main objective" the questions are more focused on scenarios and situations given to involve the compentency related to children. Questions will not say what compentency it is from. The practice test on the sbec site is ok but there are a wide range of questions to be asked or tested on so you will never get the fully practice that you need. The sbec site does provide a good example of what the real test will look like.

SCKENNY

26. Wanna Teach

Wanna Teach Rookie

Oct 27, 2007

Did you past on the first try and what did you study from?

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 27, 2007

Teacher tests as a class are about what you know (and the good ones are about what you can do with what you know). Documents on "competencies" and "subject matter requirements" and "content specifications" are just ways of organizing and listing things the test taker should know; you're certainly not responsible for remembering exactly what is listed under, say, heading 7.5.

28. Want2teachTX

Want2teachTX New Member

Jan 10, 2008

Did you have any education background?
    I am an office manager and don't have any experience. I only took some education courses in college.
    Did you find the test difficult?

29. livintexas

livintexas Rookie

Feb 2, 2008

I just took the Generalist EC-4 and got an 85/100! My weakest area was social studies with a 10/15. I am glad I took so many practice tests!!!

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 2, 2008

Brava, livintexas!

31. livintexas

livintexas Rookie

Feb 2, 2008

Thanks!

I think w/o teaching experience this test is pretty difficult. The questions and answers need to be read carefully and go back and make sure the answer matches the question asked. It is easy to try to pick an answer that sounds great, but in the end didn't match the question asked! I studied a lot of Texas history (I'm from IL) and there wasn't ONE question!!!

I'm taking the ESL test in March. I didn't know I could take it along with the Generalist and could have saved time and money, but that would have been a lot of content for one test!

My study advice: Take as many practice tests as you can find! Good test taking strategies are just as important as the content!

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 3, 2008

Good thinking skills are crucial, but then again they're useful in the rest of life too.

33. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2008

livintexas, w/o teaching experience though its easier to be keep biases out of your answers. They are looking for the best answer if you had the perfect class and money was no object.

34. livintexas

livintexas Rookie

Feb 3, 2008

Yes, that is a good point. I teach at a school that is very student centered with a focus on higher level thinking, so my recent experience helped me a lot on this test.

The advantage new teachers have is their recent courses is helpful. I haven't been to college since 1992 and last year became a substitute and this year took a job teaching PPCD. Within 3 weeks I took the PPR, Special Ed, and EC-4. I studied for two weeks in what little free time I had! I wasn't certified in gen ed in IL, so this was a new area.

I did think it was a fair test and measured what you knew about education.

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 3, 2008

Funny how often people who are returning to school after a while do fine on these things... and it isn't just luck. Have you celebrated, livintexas?

36. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2008

livintexas, what area of TX are you from?

37. livintexas

livintexas Rookie

Feb 4, 2008

Katy

38. girlie21

girlie21 New Member

Feb 16, 2008

I took the ppr today and scored a 60 out of 80??? Im worried I didnt pass? Any ideas on how the scores are determined?

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 16, 2008

Welcome to A to Z, girlie21. 60 out of 80 is 75%, which is a passing score on more teacher tests than it isn't a passing score on.

40. girlie21

girlie21 New Member

Feb 17, 2008

I really hope it is passing:) thanks encouraging words:) I will keep you updated.