Texes 104 ESL/Generalist Ec-4

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by mego65, Feb 28, 2009.

1. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Feb 28, 2009

Hello, I am taking texes 104 this April. I am currently a credentialed teacher in California and am planning on moving to Texas this summer. I am looking for anyone who has taken this test to give me any pointers. I have a ec-4 book and an esl book. However, the esl book only really goes over domains and competencies. I thought the test was more on law and teaching strategy. I would really love any help, it is hard being so far away and not having anyone that I can ask. Thanks

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2009

It has been awhile since I've taken the EC-4 book, but I remember most of it being content questions with some strategy questions thrown in there. The main thing to remember is that they are looking in a perfect, ideal world. Have you taken a look at the SBEC website? They have practice tests

4. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Feb 28, 2009

Yes, I have taken the practice tests and the ec-4 I passed just fine, but I had problems with the ESL questions. I answered according to CA procedure and it was not always correct. I just don't know where to find information on the esl procedures and regulations for Texas. Thanks for the help.

5. momgoingtoteach

momgoingtoteach New Member

Mar 29, 2009

I am going to take the Generalist EC -4 test and the Pedagogy test this Saturday and I am super nervous! I have the Janice Nath book and the two study guides from the Texas SBEC website, but can anyone give me any tips!

6. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Mar 31, 2009

I took the EC-4 generalist a few weeks ago and I used the Janice Nath/Ramsey book--it was a great help. I also used certifiyteacher.com for some practice tests. I think the tests on the website were harder than the actual test. Good luck!

7. spunky7777

spunky7777 New Member

Jun 11, 2009

question about ESL test

I am a certified Texas teacher and my district wants me to be esl certified too. Can I take the esl generalist EC-4 test (104) or should I take the esl supplemental (154)? I was thinking that since I have been a first grade teacher for 13 years that the EC-4 would be easier for me, but I could be wrong.
    Any thoughts?

8. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jun 11, 2009

I've been told that if you already have taken the EC-4 then you only need the ESL supplemental test (154). It's not so bad, I would be willing to bet you are already familiar with the procedures of LPAC and already know how to tailor a lesson to an ELL. Good luck!

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2009

I would take the supplemental exam. It's a shorter test. You just have to keep in mind that they are talking about the perfect world with lots of resources.

10. spunky7777

spunky7777 New Member

Jun 11, 2009

THANKS

I appreciate your insight. I went ahead and signed up for the ESL Generalist EC-4. Has anyone taken this one? I'm just wandering if the free information on SBEC is enough preparation for the test. I've found a few free tests online and a few previous test takers made copies of the information they have received through others for me. Do you think that is enough to be prepared?

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 11, 2009

Dunno. Can you throw around the technical terms on the materials you've got as though you actually knew what those terms meant? If so, you may be good to go. If not, you've got some work to do.

12. hdubtx

hdubtx New Member

Jul 17, 2009

I believe that you should've just signed up for the ESL Supplement since you are already a certified teacher. The Generalist EC-4 is a content exam - this will also test language arts, math, science, physical education, art, music and what not. You don't need this if you are already certified and have been for 13 years... All you need is the ESL supplment.

As for a study guide - I'd go with Preparing to Teach Texas Content Areas, Nath & Ramsey. It has a section in the back for the ESL supplement that is great. Tons of info and numerous practice questions. It is a textbook and not just another study guide you'll find at Barnes & Noble.

13. spunky7777

spunky7777 New Member

Jul 22, 2009

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Just found out I passed the ESL generalist EC-4 with a 272. Whoo-hoo!!! I probably could have just taken the ESL supplemental, but now I am certified ESL and EC...before just grades 1-8. If I ever decide to change jobs and/or grades...I guess it opens up some more possibilities.

14. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 22, 2009

CONGRATS!!

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 22, 2009

Well done, spunky7777!