Texas Teachers...Are there REALLY jobs ;)?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Alisha, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Feb 11, 2010

I'm from Wisconsin, but have heard really promising things about Wisconsin teachers getting hired in Texas, especially the Houston area. I don't know much about those districts, of course, so still need to do my homework, but can anyone tell me what, if any, truth there is to this. I'm COMPLETELY willing to move and I refuse to go another year without a teaching job if I have any say in it.

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2010

No! Stay away! :)

In my opinion, there are jobs if you're willing to go to where the jobs are. It's of course competitive and just about every school looks for bilingual teachers. I think the Houston and the DFW areas are the best choices for targeting a job search. The Austin area is just simply really competitive, which is where I'm at. :( I'm looking into Houston and DFW this hiring season, though. I personally think targeting the San Antonio area is a waste of time because their population really "demands" bilingual teachers. As far as the Houston area is concerned, west Houston is super competitive - it would take a miracle to even get an interview in Cypress-Fairbanks ("Cy-Fair") ISD and Katy ISD.

4. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Feb 11, 2010

Thanks for the info! There is a job fair in Wisconsin in April and I know there are 2 Houston districts (so far) that are going to be there (Aldine ISD and Spring Branch ISD). Of course I'd prefer to get a job near home, but I'd make the move if it worked out.

5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2010

Pretty much every area of Houston is considerd "tough", but Aldine ISD ranks near the top. Probably why they're searching for candidates out of state. :) Don't let it scare you away though, if it possibly would.

6. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Feb 11, 2010

I'm more scared of not trying and being jobless! ;) Trying doesn't scare me, I've been at it a while now, lol!

7. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2010

I have the same perspective, which is why I'm considering relocating to another city in Texas. I have read about teachers relocating states for a teaching job and it makes me realize just how silly I am at not jumping at the opportunity for a job just three or so hours away. And I'm single so it's really silly when others are relocating along with their family.

8. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Feb 11, 2010

Well, if we relocate, we'll be doing it with a newborn! (I'm due in June!) Sooo, if I can even consider it, than you sure can ;)

9. hatima

hatima Devotee

Feb 11, 2010

Last year ISD was at a job fair in NM. The rep was strongly encouraging me to apply. But I was scared to leave home, now I wish I had finished the apply. I hold the NM license so they'd have put me on a one year waver to get the Texas license. He was really encouraging, but then I looked on the board and saw how many TX teachers were trying to get jobs and felt completely confused.

10. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Feb 11, 2010

Yeah, I'll admit that really confuses me, too. I know that the school I graduated from has some kind of exchange/deal with one of the Houston districts...but I just don't really get why.

11. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2010

There are jobs, but simply not enough to go around for everyone looking. :)

And it's always intrigued me as to why some districts go out of state to recruit when there's plenty of us looking right here in the state. I think some districts do this to claim that their search for the best is extensive. I know Killeen ISD, Houston ISD and surrounding districts, and Dallas ISD and surrounding districts go out of state for recruiting.

12. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Feb 11, 2010

Y'all can have the big cities. I'm a small town boy myself and can't imagine teaching in such a metropolitan area. I'm still trying to get used to escalators.

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 11, 2010

Like others have said, there are plenty of jobs in the districts that are considered "urban" like Houston ISD, Aldine, Alief, etc.

I taught (and lived) in Aldine for 10 years, and it's not nearly as bad as people think it is. Kids are kids.

14. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Feb 11, 2010

I've been certified in Houston since 2008 in various areas and have not found a public school position.

15. comp

comp Rookie

Feb 11, 2010

I heard DFW(dallas) has more openings for elementary and high school.

16. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2010

Where is Aldine?

17. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Feb 15, 2010

There are jobs in the DFW area. It is competitive but doable for sure. The area is booming with growth.:)

18. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Feb 23, 2010

Do you think this could be the case for say, new graduates too? I keep hearing all of these stories about how hard it is to find a job and it's got me worried for when I graduate. :unsure:

19. clavinbot

clavinbot Rookie

Feb 23, 2010

I've been certified since last May in 2 areas in Corpus and haven't found a thing, so yeah I would be wary.