Texas Teachers Alternative Certification Program

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CaliPro, Dec 15, 2011.

1. CaliPro

CaliPro Rookie

Dec 15, 2011

Hey everyone,

I'm a NC resident that graduated in 2009 with a business degree and have decided I want to teach.

Was looking for the best and fastest ways to become certified and Texas Teachers appears to be my best option.

Anyone have any experience with this program?

I'm looking to teach ESL out of the country and do their online program while i'm away for the year then return and complete the year of probationary teaching in order to get fully licensed.

Also, is this program considered "Highly Qualified"? And which states would I be able to teach in after going this route of certification?

Again, thanks,

3. kme93

kme93 Companion

Dec 15, 2011

I'm currently getting certified through iteachtexas. It's very similar to Texas Teachers. Once you enroll in the program and pass your content test, you are considered "highly qualified". You must finish the program to keep the "highly qualified" rating. You will only be able to teach in Texas. Each state has it's own certification.

I know people that have used Texas Teachers and it seemed to be fine. It is hard(er) to get a teaching job on your probationary certificate. However, once you have completed the probationary year, you have the same regular certification that you would have if you went through a university (though not the education degree).

4. CaliPro

CaliPro Rookie

Dec 15, 2011

You have to already been hired to finish the training I believe.

Why did you pick the other one and not Texas Teachers?

5. kme93

kme93 Companion

Dec 15, 2011

Yes, you take all of the classes online and must find a job within one year in order to complete it. However, it is very hard to find the job. If you sub, get hired after the school year has started (even if it's early September), or do a long term sub position it doesn't count. I want to teach middle school or high school math and have a bachelor's in math and a master's in statistics with two years experience teaching at the college level. I only got two interviews and they were both for private schools. I LOVE my school, but public schools didn't want anything to do with me. It's very difficult to get a teaching job right now, even in a "high need" area. If you're doing your alternative certification, you're automatically at the bottom of the pile. Some of the better school districts in my area won't accept your application unless you have your full certification or have been teaching for a certain number of years. If you don't find a job within a certain amount of time your coursework expires and you have to start over. I'm not trying to discourage you - just go into it with your eyes wide open.

I chose iteachtexas because you get 6 observations once you start your field experience. Also, the website was easier for me to navigate.

6. CaliPro

CaliPro Rookie

Dec 16, 2011

Did you only apply to 1 area?!? I find it incomprehensible that you cant find a job in math. Id apply to every district in Texas if I had to as I would only plan to teach in Texas one year anyway.

I dont see how someone with a math or science cert cant find work in the entire state. Seems to me you are only applying to one area and / or only to "good" districts.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 16, 2011

I don't think you have a realistic view of the job market right now.

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Dec 16, 2011

Also, if you are only planning to teach one year in Texas, many states will require you to go through a re-cert process. For instance in my state, a new teacher will only one year of experience will have their course work analyzed, made me made to take further classes, made be required to take further test and anything else "missing" from what my state requires for a license. And to be honest, they might not take a teacher cert program from another state. I really think most states would not grant a teacher with only one year of experience a fully cleared license.

9. CaliPro

CaliPro Rookie

Dec 16, 2011

@TeacherinTexas,

So your telling me someone with a math or science specialization will have a difficult time finding employment if they apply to every district in Texas? I dont believe that. My state of NC all my friends graduating college all found jobs in their first preferred locations. People always seem to exaggerate and or not expand out their search.

10. aer011

aer011 Rookie

Dec 16, 2011

This is not entirely true. I went through Texas Teachers and was hired in October (as a classroom teacher, not a LTS or anything like that). It does count. It just runs for one calendar year from the time you are hired. So I started in October of 2010 and received my standard cert in October of 2011. I even changed jobs (same district/subject level though) from one school year to the next and had no problems. Texas Teachers is easy. Maybe too easy. I am confident now, but in the beginning, I remember wishing I'd had more preparation.

11. CaliPro

CaliPro Rookie

Dec 16, 2011

@Aer011,

What subject and level did you do your training in?

How would you assess the job market in terms of finding work?

12. kme93

kme93 Companion

Dec 17, 2011

I applied to every school district in the DFW and Houston areas. From Mesquite to Aledo, Anna to Mansfield, etc. From Huntsville to La Porte, Kingwood to Katy. I even applied to schools that I knew were in trouble of closing (North Forest ISD). I'm not scared of inner city schools. Also, since I have a master's degree I can easily walk in and teach AP classes. I have friends with master's degrees (good teachers - I have observed them) that have been laid off multiple times. It is very difficult to find a job. It's not impossible, I'm proof of that, but it is difficult and may take a few years.

13. 123456now

123456now Rookie

Dec 17, 2011

Before you go this route, I would HIGHLY suggest subbing. The alternative certification programs don't usually require student teaching, which I thought was great at first. When I walked into my classroom on the first day of school as a teacher, that was the first classroom I had been in since I was a student.

Let me just say that was not a fun year (I would have dug ditches to finish my contract if they would have let me). If I had subbed first, I might not have wasted the time and money. I could have found a better age group and had a better idea where I belonged.

I wanted to teach a certain subject and would have been thrilled to have gotten that, but sometimes you take what you get and make the best of it. However, middle school is almost as bad as a teacher as it was as a student.

14. CaliPro

CaliPro Rookie

Dec 19, 2011

yea i have no interest in middle school. worst age group imo

15. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Dec 19, 2011

CaliPro - what age group and content area would you like to teach?

16. CaliPro

CaliPro Rookie

Dec 19, 2011

Well id like to be a PE teacher but finding a job with that is pretty hard so i'm gonna get certified in high school science most likely.