Texas Teacher openings in January?

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by newtothis2006, Dec 13, 2006.

1. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Dec 13, 2006

Anyone from Texas especially the Dallas Ft Worth area - PLEASE LEND YOUR ADVICE. Here is my situation. I am enrolled into an Alternative Certification Program- IteachTexas. I work as an aide currently at a high school. I thought that I would be able to work as an aide and find a job starting in January. I have my application out at a handful of nearby districts. There are job postings at some of them. I send personal emails to the principals at the schools that are hiring. I have yet to hear back from anyone! I am getting really worried that I will not find anything for the Spring. I know that teachers leave from time to time and sometimes create new positions so why am I having such a hard time? Texas does not have an overage of teachers I don't think. I personally believe that districts do not like candidates that are in Alternative Certification. I read on a couple of district websites that they will not consider Alternative candidates- they want certified applicants. One district is having a job fair next year and in the fine print is says that only certified applicants are allowed to attend and which does not include alternative certification. I am getting really stressed out and depressed. I am making less money as an aide then when I worked as a bank teller in college! I want to continue working in education but have either got to get hired as a teacher or get a 3rd job. Any suggestions or input from those experience would be appreciated.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2006

Hi, I'm not from Texas and have no background in Alt Cert. But, as usual, that won't keep me from expressing an opinion :)

You mention that you've sent applications to a "handful" of local districts. If you're in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, doesn't that mean there are two cities, as well as a bazillion suburbs, somewhat nearby? Apply EVERYWHERE!

Send each of them an "updated" resume and a great cover letter. (That's my mantra-- your cover letter needs to be great! In fact, why not post it and let us all work on it?? We'll find a way to make that alternate certification the thing they love most about you!!) Hand deliver them before the holiday break so they have a face to put to the name.

You mention that teachers leave from time to time. In my experience, it happens, but not with any predictability. So they may not know of the people who are leaving, or those schools may not have any this year.

The point is to get your name out there everywhere!!

4. weno88

weno88 Companion

Dec 13, 2006

What is your content area or grade level? I live about 3 hours from Dallas/Ft Worth, and we have a ton of elementary ed teachers. (Of course, there are 3 universities here and everybody majors in k-5) I know Texas really needs secondary Spanish, ESL, Math, and Technology teachers.

5. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Dec 14, 2006

Certified applicants means you have a teaching certificate. Doesn't the alternative certification program qualify you for a teaching certificate?
    I don't understand the confusion or maybe I'm confused?

6. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Dec 14, 2006

I will clarify what Alternative Certification means. It is a way for candidates with a degree already to become certified. I take online courses for 6 months, and I take any state content tests in which I am highly qualified for. So, I have passed the EC-4, and 4-8 Generalist tests, and I am highly qualified for Business Education since I have a BBA degree. So this means, as an alternative education candidate that I am eligible for a probationary certificate to teach for 1 year. After the probationary time period, I will get my standard certificate.

School districts look at candidates with a probationary certificate last (even though the candidate pased the rigorous state tests) and this is what I believe is making it so difficult to find a job.

Maybe there are some Alternative candidates that have been through the process?

7. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Dec 15, 2006

Most of the larger districts will not hire AC candidates unless they are having a hard time finding a certified person. Have you tried any smaller districts and/or a district such as Irving which always seems to be needing middle school teachers.

8. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Dec 16, 2006

I work in a semi-small district right now. I work at the high school and they don't have any openings in Business Ed right now. (next school year my principal said he would hire me) There are neighboring districts around that are smaller, but they don't have any job openings either. Do you reccomended submitting an application when there are no job postings to these tiny districts? And why is it that the larger districts don't want to hire Alt program candidates? I feel discriminated against. If I am not as good a standard certified candidate then why does the state classify me as "highly qualified?" (Thanks for the tip about Irving, it is a little father away, but will apply with them.)

9. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Dec 16, 2006

If you took courses on line did you have to do any student teaching? For my degree in elementary education I observed many teachers and had to teach lessons in a couple of classes even before I student taught. For the last two years of my degree I was in the classroom either observing or teaching. Is that the issue? I really don't know much about alternative certification. If I am wrong I apologize.

10. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Dec 16, 2006

You're asking yourself that question too? HUH?

The only difference between you and me is that I'm a new para seeking work as a para - not a teacher. Unfortunately, they prefer to hire actual, certified teachers for such positions and it's been making me upset to know I'm being passed over because I'm not certified.

My advice: Stop asking. Just stop asking. I've only become more and more depressed with asking so I stopped and decided the only thing to do is to keep applying to open positions. I've had folks take interest in me and am sure more eventually will. Eventually, your boat will come in and you WILL hit it off with the right person.

I've heard TX teaching jobs are hard to come by right now. Have you thought of relocating?

11. KathrynLindsay

KathrynLindsay New Member

Dec 16, 2006

have you ever thought of subbing for a while in surrounding districts until a postion opens up? I have been subbing for a few months now and I absolutely love it because I get a feel for what I like and don't like!

12. askipping

askipping New Member

Dec 19, 2006

I had originally started to get my certification with iteAchtexas because I actually lived in North Carolina at the time I knew I would eventually move to Texas. I dropped out of that program because I couldn't get the computer to send of my assignments without getting back a reply that said I did the assignment incorrectly. iteachtexas considered me highly qualified for English, Spanish, and Speech, but when I decided to go the traditional route with an accredited university, my preparatory program only considered me highly qualified to each English. That wasn't until after I completed my student teaching assignment. I believe iteAchtexas has a practicum in lieu of student teaching. I wanted to get an internship instead of doing the student teaching because I needed money, but everywhere I sent applications to told me to check back with them after my student teaching was done. Since NCLB, you aren't really considered highly qualified until after you have done your student teaching. So if you haven't done the practicum with iteAchtexas, that may be what is holding you back right now.

13. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Dec 19, 2006

Newtothis, don't get so discouraged. :) I went the "traditional" route and got my degree in EC-4 in May 05. I went a year without getting a job. I was fully certified and had a 4.0 GPA, had awards from my college and it meant nothing. You just have to be determined! Keep applying! I finally had to do a year of tutoring (the district hired tutors for each grade level) in order to get my name out there to a district that doesn't usually even hire first-year teachers, much less ACP candidates. School districts are just so scared because of NCLB, they are afraid to put someone in a position without EXPERIENCE. That's what they think when they see you are ACP. Experience is the key. That is what held me back. They weren't really even counting my student teaching or subbing. I had to prove myself to them before I could even get an interview.

I've said all this to say, you can't give up. It's not usual that there are openings mid-year. However, there will be openings coming up for next year as soon as March. My district hires early, around Spring Break, and our contracts have to be signed by April. In the meantime, work on your portfolio, your resume, create an electronic portfolio to show your techno skills. You have to promote yourself! I wish you the best.

14. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Dec 19, 2006

It probably is the student teaching thing and lack of experience combined with the ugly Alternative Cert program that is keeping districts from being interested. With iteachtexas, they do have a student teaching program now, but all their fees are due upfront and it is completely volunteer, there is no pay. Maybe that is how all student teaching is, I don't know. However, I couldn't work for free anyway. I have to support myself with an income. Initially I debated whether subbing or working as an aide would take me farther. I concluded that as an aide I would have an "in" with a district. (and make a steady income) I believe that I do, but not until next school year. And I'm not even sure that I want to stay with my current district-it's a bit disorganized and had very high turnover last year. For now, I am going to keep submitting my application to districts and specific jobs and just see what happens. I have come to a realization that I might be working as an aide until next school year. Thankfully, I am interested in teaching special education which is in high demand and a teacher shortage. (I just got my results yesterday that I passed that test too!) I know of one district who has a job fair as early as March and I can go because Sp Ed is an area where they will consider Alternative candidates. Thanks for your encouraging words and best of luck to others who are still holding out as well.