Texas State Tests

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by hope037, Feb 12, 2007.

1. hope037

hope037 Rookie

Feb 12, 2007

Can anyone tell me what to expect from the Texas state tests? My husband's job might force us to relocate in a year. By then, I'll have my CA credential and, hopefully, a year's experience.

Will it be hard to get a Texas credential?

Does anyone here teach in Texas?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 12, 2007

Plenty of people here teach in Texas, hope037.

You'll find discussion of the TExES exams in the Single Subject Tests and Multiple Subject Tests subforums. They seem now to be Praxis exams rather than NES exams (CSET is an NES program). Unlike CSET, one can't spread sections across more than one testing day - but I think more of the exams tend to be strictly multiple choice.

Hope this helps.

4. KDS

KDS Companion

Feb 13, 2007

I didnt find them tooooo bad...what is your subject/teaching area?

5. SpecialTexan

SpecialTexan Rookie

Feb 14, 2007

I found the pedagogy exam to be far more difficult than the content area tests, personally.

6. hope037

hope037 Rookie

Feb 14, 2007

K-12 Multiple Subject.

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2007

I have taken 4 TEXES exams. The one I thought I knew the least about I scored highest on. I took the ec-4 PPR 4-8 RLASS and the spec ed test. I scored the best on the spec ed. The other day when I was talking to someone about this she suggested the reason I did better on the Spec test was because I had all ready been teaching for about 4 months when I took it.

8. laurentx82

laurentx82 New Member

Feb 25, 2007

ESL test

I just took the ESL/EC-4 generalist test. I'm sort of worried that I took the wrong thing. I'm already certified EC-4. In order for me to have become ESL certified, did I only have to take the ESL supplemental? The test was sooooo long (180 questions!), and a lot of the questions were content area for EC-4 (most of the questions, actually).

Does anyone know if I took the wrong test???:confused:

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2007

Yes I believe you did. But I dont think it matters as far as certification. I took the spec ed supplemental in Oct but was going to take the reg spec ed test until one of the other teachers told me about the supplemental.

10. laurentx82

laurentx82 New Member

Feb 25, 2007

So will I be ESL certified still? Just with extra EC-4 Generalist Certification?

11. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2007

I think so

12. janis.longmire

janis.longmire Rookie

Apr 19, 2007

Scores

I have been a substitute for 7 months in different areas and today, I didn't do to well on the Spec Ed exam. I scored 87 out of 120. do you know if that is passing? There were 135 questions on the test but only 120 that were scored. I am thinking I did not score high enough. Does it have to be 80%?

13. classemom

classemom Rookie

Apr 20, 2007

I am newly certified EC-4 and just took the ESL test also. I was told to just take the ESL #154 Supplemental. It only had 70 questions. I too think that you will still be Certifited ESL, but I think you did take the longer test that is maybe required for initial certification....maybe that will help though, I guess since it had more questions, you could maybe miss more and still pass?

You may want to check with a local university, service center or the SBEC or TEA website to make sure.

Goodluck.

14. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Apr 21, 2007

Janis,

I took the special ed exam a few weeks ago. My raw score was mid 80's ( I think 88) out of 120 and I passed with a score of 162. I am pretty sure you passed, but you'll have to find out how well when you get your score in.

15. janis.longmire

janis.longmire Rookie

Apr 22, 2007

Thanks

Thanks! That gives me hope. I called the state and they told me the questions were weighted, so the raw score wasn't an accurate reflection. I was quite suprised at how difficult the test was. I just got accepted into and alternative cert. program and haven't been able to attend any review classes yet. Have you taken the PPR? I am wondering if it is as difficult or harder????

16. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Apr 22, 2007

I am in an ACP program too, but I'm about to finish in about two weeks. I haven't taken the PPR yet, but I have heard it was more difficult. My ACP is also allowing me to take the ec-4 generalist. They say many districts want you to have both if you are doing special ed. I haven't taken in yet because of a busy month, but I have had friends who have taken it and they said it wasn't any harder than the spec. ed. one.
    Let me know if I can help you out some more!